Quick Ebay/PayPal question

mission42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
47 (100%)
OK, I'll try to make this quick. I buy and sell on Ebay somewhat frequently (80 feedback, no negatives) and have never had a problem. Recently I bought an item off of Ebay and got it in the mail. Item was not as described and I'm pretty sure the seller knew it. I opened a PayPal dispute and sent the seller a message asking for a refund. Within a couple hours the seller messaged me and said if I returned the item, a refund would be no problem. He never asked why I wanted it returned or anything, thus why I assume he knew he was trying to scam/mislead me. I agreed but asked for my refund before sending the item out as I feel I've already been scammed and don't want to lose out on the item and my money. Again, he didn't dispute and went ahead and refunded my money. I'm going to ship the item out to him tomorrow morning via USPS with delivery confirmation and close the dispute.

Is there any way he can try to get the money back from my PayPal later since he has already issued the refund or is this case closed no matter what now? I'm not sure how PayPal/Ebay Chargebacks work since I've never had a problem and I'm sure some of you have been through this before.

[quote name='Will']From what I know, paypal will make you send the item in question back before you get your refund.[/QUOTE]

Normally from what I have read this would be true. With a claim they would make me ship the item back with tracking and then once he got it, they would refund me the money. Through talks with him, he agreed to refund me my money before I returned the item. He has already did this, I have my money back in my PayPal account now. It just seems odd to me that he was willing to refund my money right away without question, this is why I'm wondering if he would be able to file something to get my money back that he already refunded to me.

I paid, he refunded me my money, is there anything he could do now to scam me by filing a chargeback or something for the refund he gave to me?

[quote name='mission42']Normally from what I have read this would be true. With a claim they would make me ship the item back with tracking and then once he got it, they would refund me the money. Through talks with him, he agreed to refund me my money before I returned the item. He has already did this, I have my money back in my PayPal account now. It just seems odd to me that he was willing to refund my money right away without question, this is why I'm wondering if he would be able to file something to get my money back that he already refunded to me.

I paid, he refunded me my money, is there anything he could do now to scam me by filing a chargeback or something for the refund he gave to me?[/QUOTE]

No. Once he issues a refund... it's done. I buy and sell on ebay also. Need to separate the account, though, if I may get off on a little tangent. However, when I have someone complain about an item, I do exactly what your seller did... I tell the seller without hesitation to send it back for a full refund including shipping. It's funny that the only negative I have ever received was for an item that cost .01 ... plus the generous $3.99 shipping.. that I hurriedly listed as mint (it was actually only in good condition with a seriously torn label) when I was listing about 30 super nintendo games.:hot:

bread's done
Back