Quick Fire Emblem question

geigerm

CAGiversary!
Managed to find a copy of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones in my local CC bargain bin today, so I picked it up. What I'm wondering, though, is if I should try to play the first GBA Fire Emblem before starting this one. Of course, that requires me to actually find the first GBA Fire Emblem, but I suppose that won't be impossible. I'm not really in any rush, given that I'm still only 30 maps into Yggdra Union, just started Puzzle Quest as well, and have a significant backlog.

fire emblem for the gba has its own story, you won't be missing anything by playing sacred stones before FE

i'd say grab it if you can find it, its definitely one of my top 10 games

^ what they said

however, the original fire emblem (that came out in the states) was a prequel the previous fire emblem (that was only released in japan), im still bitter they decided not to release that here.

General rule it is very rare for a sequel to requires you to play the original to understand the story. There are some exception like Digital Devil Saga 2.

[quote name='Purkeynator']wikipedia says that the original is easier and has better tutorials to get you started with the franchise.[/quote]i thought the second one was easier because there are random battles you can engage in to level up your guys

[quote name='62t']General rule it is very rare for a sequel to requires you to play the original to understand the story. There are some exception like Digital Devil Saga 2.[/quote]

Yeah, I know that--hell, look at the Final Fantasy series, in which there really aren't any true sequels. I just wasn't sure if this was one of those rare cases in which it made sense to play them in order from a either a gameplay or story perspective, even if I'd be missing something as simple as inside jokes from one to the next. And I knew this would be a good group to ask.

Like I said, I probably won't get to it for a while anyway, but it's good to know I won't be missing anything if I can't get my hands on the original first. Thanks to everyone for the input.

[quote name='62t']General rule it is very rare for a sequel to requires you to play the original to understand the story. There are some exception like Digital Devil Saga 2.[/quote]

Does that apply to the new one that just came out on the Wii?

If you want to get more specific, you need to play the Japanese GBA only Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals, which was released before the Fire Emblem we got (which is actually the 7th game while Sacred Stones is the 8th) If you are really that picky you might want to play the translated rom as the story are linked. You can even go back further and play the famicom and super famicom FE.

[quote name='cerial442']Does that apply to the new one that just came out on the Wii?[/QUOTE]
What game are you referring to?

[quote name='62t']If you want to get more specific, you need to play the Japanese GBA only Fire Emblem 6: Sword of Seals, which was released before the Fire Emblem we got (which is actually the 7th game while Sacred Stones is the 8th) If you are really that picky you might want to play the translated rom as the story are linked. You can even go back further and play the famicom and super famicom FE.[/quote]

Oh geez ... yeah, I'm not that picky, but I suppose there are some people here who might be.

[quote name='Purkeynator']wikipedia says that the original is easier and has better tutorials to get you started with the franchise.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the sacred stones is much easier due to fact you have more opportunities to level up or gain money such as tower or random encounters. Way better then previous method of using Colosseum, where the monster you encounter are random, this could hurt you if they got the opposing weapon in triangle weapon system. Not to mention, fire emblem uses a auto save after every movement, so if one of your character die when gaining tremendous amount of experience your fuck.

[quote name='cerial442']Does that apply to the new one that just came out on the Wii?[/QUOTE] The newest edition Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (aka fire emblem 10) is the direct sequel of previous episode Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (aka fire emblem 9). It takes 3 years after the mad king war, so there a very small assortment of new characters.

[quote name='62t']What game are you referring to?[/quote]

Radiant Dawn.

[quote name='fatbeer']
The newest edition Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn (aka fire emblem 10) is the direct sequel of previous episode Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (aka fire emblem 9). It takes 3 years after the mad king war, so there a very small assortment of new characters.[/quote]

So I should hunt down and play Path of Radiance before Radiant Dawn. Hmmm...

I've been playing fire emblem: sacred stones for gba for about 5 months now. Stuck on Floraspar (?)'s Oath mission. Damn with her long range lightning attack spell that cuts your hp in half.

And according to game faqs, there's no point in me doing the tower optional dungeon to get extra characters until after I've beaten the game. Yeah right. Once I've beat a game, I'm done with it. We're finished, you hear me!

bread's done
Back