Quick Halo 1 question

daroga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Hey all,

Quick question on Halo 1. I just finished it up, playing on the 360. I'm having trouble remembering if something changed a bit vs. playing on the original Xbox or not.

When you start a new level, you get the semi-lengthy "LOADING" screen with the blue planet that scans across the screen. I seem to recall that every time you loaded a game (as in, just turned the console on and started it up) you get that loading screen initally to get into the action, then in game loads and respawns were instant. But on the 360, I get that LOADING screen when I start a new level but then if I leave and come back, loading a checkpoint from the main menu is instaneous.

Am I really stupid and that's how it was on the original or did they tweak something when they emulated the game on the 360?

I think that's the same, but I'm not sure. I think if you choose the same level that is loaded into memory you avoid the long loading screen.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I think that's the same, but I'm not sure. I think if you choose the same level that is loaded into memory you avoid the long loading screen.[/quote]True, but I'm talking about coming back to it after the system's been off, as long as I have a check-point midway through the level.

IIRC, when you load a Halo level it gets temporarily stored on the hard disk allowing instantaneous loading for that particular level. On the original Xbox, that data 'expires' and is deleted either when you load a different level or after a certain period of time (at least a week in experience). They might have tweaked the settings to make it expire earlier on the 360.

Ah, ok. I figured that's what it was doing, but I didn't remember the original doing that. But it had been like 4 years since I last played it, so little things like that tend to vanish.

bread's done
Back