Quick question. Which PS3 version had the best backwards compatibility?

WiiDSmoker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (97%)
I have a PS3, but it doesn't do PS2 games. I'm looking into getting one that can play PS2 games. I remember there being two different versions; which had the best backwards compatibility?

Thanks!

Any of the launch PS3's, so the 20's, 60's, or *some* of the 80 GB's.

A wiser move would be to just go buy a slim PS2 if you have the space...

[quote name='Sk']Just buy a PS2. The upscaling on the PS3 isn't really all that good anyway.[/QUOTE]

It's a bit better than P23's and it loads games faster, but than again, it'll be easier to find a PS2 and backwards compatible PS3 I think. Or at least cheaper than PS3

The launch 20 and 60 gig models have the PS2 chips built into them, and after a few firmwares updates, are pretty much able to play anything that doesn't need some kind of fancy pants controller. And even then, the game will start... you'd just need to find out if Beatmania is as fun without the turntable controller. :razz: The early 80 gig model can play most PS2 games, but has compatibility issues with quite a few of them and straight up won't work with others. Overall, the 60 is by far the best, because it plays all the games and had all the "bonus" features like 4 USBs, various memory card slots, and the wifi reciever. I know the 20 doesn't have wireless, don't know what else is doesn't have. And the 80 is great... until you find out it won't play that one game you wanted.

Also with some HDTVs and/or receivers playing using the PS3 is the only way you can play certain PS2 and all PS1 games on your HDTV without epilepsy-inducing jutter.

bread's done
Back