Quit buying Blu Rays and wait for 4k?

imme2007

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
So here is the deal. I have slowly started planning and buying all my favorite tv shows on Blu Ray. I decided I rather own them and get superior video and sound than rather than watching on Netflix. My first 2 shows are Lost Season 1 and Dragon Ball Z Season 1. Yesterday it dawned on me that 4k is coming and it made me think...Is now the time to be doing this? I don't want all my tv shows outdated in a couple years when the 4k versions of them come out and then have to buy them again. So anyone got any advice with some reasoning behind it? Should I say screw it and get my tv shows now on regular Blu Ray or hold off for 4k versions of them?

Absolutely do NOT hold off for 4K. Unless it's a major major title that is going to sell mass units like Star Wars, you're not going to be seeing nearly the titles in a 4K physical disc format that are available on Blu-Ray. For some, Blu has already become a niche market -- there are countless titles on DVD that will never come to Blu-Ray. That niche is going to shrink even further with a 4K physical disc format...so I'd go ahead and get what you want. 

Absolutely do NOT hold off for 4K. Unless it's a major major title that is going to sell mass units like Star Wars, you're not going to be seeing nearly the titles in a 4K physical disc format that are available on Blu-Ray. For some, Blu has already become a niche market -- there are countless titles on DVD that will never come to Blu-Ray. That niche is going to shrink even further with a 4K physical disc format...so I'd go ahead and get what you want.
Thanks for the advice, that makes sense

I'm selling all my blu-Ray movies and going digital

Yeah I've been buying digital for the past two years now. Last movie I purchased was The Dark Knight Rises trilogy and been purchasing movies digitally. 

Yeah OP I am in your boat--just upgraded my home theatre and now I'm paying much closer attention to Dolby DTS DS.

I also found out about sizes of BD, 50 GB compared to Netflix 1080pstreams supposedly at around 5GB (most of this loss is reportedly audio compression).

I think 4k upscale will be a more common technique (see also: marketing tactic) than actual 4k remasters. I also am under the impression that most older 4k remastering isn't impossible, as most films are already recorded in such definition, so having an older 4k remaster isn't done by "upscaling the 1080p DVD" as some people just assume is the technique.

Anyway, my main point is I think and hope the Dolby DTS HD audio is much more important to your home entertainment, and not to worry much on owning all 4k BD--but at the same time I'd go ahead and just expect all your favorite movies to come out in 4k marketing, but just not to worry much if it does.

By the time 4k BDs or some way to smash over 50GB of data into a disc is created, I imagine 4k TVs and 1080p upscale will also improve to the point that you shouldn't care outside the cover art.

Source: mostly just made up based on some stuff I Googled in the recent past

Yeah OP I am in your boat--just upgraded my home theatre and now I'm paying much closer attention to Dolby DTS DS.

I also found out about sizes of BD, 50 GB compared to Netflix 1080pstreams supposedly at around 5GB (most of this loss is reportedly audio compression).

I think 4k upscale will be a more common technique (see also: marketing tactic) than actual 4k remasters. I also am under the impression that most older 4k remastering isn't impossible, as most films are already recorded in such definition, so having an older 4k remaster isn't done by "upscaling the 1080p DVD" as some people just assume is the technique.

Anyway, my main point is I think and hope the Dolby DTS HD audio is much more important to your home entertainment, and not to worry much on owning all 4k BD--but at the same time I'd go ahead and just expect all your favorite movies to come out in 4k marketing, but just not to worry much if it does.

By the time 4k BDs or some way to smash over 50GB of data into a disc is created, I imagine 4k TVs and 1080p upscale will also improve to the point that you shouldn't care outside the cover art.

Source: mostly just made up based on some stuff I Googled in the recent past
Wow what are the odds lol, the reason I started getting blu rays is cause of HD audio,Im upgrading my surround sound(everything should be here this week!) and wanted to take advantage of TrueHD and DTS HD, how much better are they over regular DD and DTS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly its really hard to compare and contrast, and a lot easier to just say I am very pleased with my TV and gaming area and equipment.

I was using digital optical from HDTV to receiver, mainly to get TV speaker audio and also have smart TV features and PS systems swappable with the TV remote instead of changing received inputs, but after finally getting more HDMI 1.4 cables and "unlocking" Dolby DTS HD, I can't say I'd go back to any impure methods.

As a few reference points, Interstellar ended up being played about five times in three days. Also yesterday morning I was playing Driveclub, which occasionally has some thunder rolls and pretty intense weather effects with DLC, real thunder rolled outside and I didn't think it sounded realistic enough.

As you get better speakers, either on entry or with upgrades, I'm sure the differences may become apparent, too.

I think for me, its mostly about confidence "everything is correct."

And also don't worry much about 4k BD, but I also think, unlike 3D, 4k is catchy enough to stick, so I'm sure also production companies will eventually try to sell 4k BD, but I really think upscale will be just as great.

Replacing all your stuff would likely be a losing battle, though.

Also, a link pretty much discrediting everything I said soooo, whatever, but I still believe what I said (until my eyes prove me wrong): regular 1080p with TV doing 4k upscale and HDMI supporting Dolby DTS HD should really be kicking all the butt you need.

I guess it's important to have surround receiver that supports 4k pass through, I'm unsure if a 4k bd player or just ps4 firmware update is required for actually support a "UHD BD.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/205593-ultra-hd-blu-ray-standard-finalized-4k-support-hdr-digital-bridge-sharing

Sorry to BS so much saying "not to worry," but I'm not worried and I worry about most everything that goes on a shelf or into a computer.

Honestly its really hard to compare and contrast, and a lot easier to just say I am very pleased with my TV and gaming area and equipment.

I was using digital optical from HDTV to receiver, mainly to get TV speaker audio and also have smart TV features and PS systems swappable with the TV remote instead of changing received inputs, but after finally getting more HDMI 1.4 cables and "unlocking" Dolby DTS HD, I can't say I'd go back to any impure methods.

As a few reference points, Interstellar ended up being played about five times in three days. Also yesterday morning I was playing Driveclub, which occasionally has some thunder rolls and pretty intense weather effects with DLC, real thunder rolled outside and I didn't think it sounded realistic enough.

As you get better speakers, either on entry or with upgrades, I'm sure the differences may become apparent, too.

I think for me, its mostly about confidence "everything is correct."

And also don't worry much about 4k BD, but I also think, unlike 3D, 4k is catchy enough to stick, so I'm sure also production companies will eventually try to sell 4k BD, but I really think upscale will be just as great.

Replacing all your stuff would likely be a losing battle, though.

Also, a link pretty much discrediting everything I said soooo, whatever, but I still believe what I said (until my eyes prove me wrong): regular 1080p with TV doing 4k upscale and HDMI supporting Dolby DTS HD should really be kicking all the butt you need.

I guess it's important to have surround receiver that supports 4k pass through, I'm unsure if a 4k bd player or just ps4 firmware update is required for actually support a "UHD BD.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/205593-ultra-hd-blu-ray-standard-finalized-4k-support-hdr-digital-bridge-sharing

Sorry to BS so much saying "not to worry," but I'm not worried and I worry about most everything that goes on a shelf or into a computer.
Thanks for the advice,I have actually gotten over the 4k thing for now, now I'm just happy about upgrading my surround sound and getting that stuff in the mail this week, I can't wait to watch Lost on blu ray and have DTS HD audio :)

That reminds me though...I need 1.4 HDMIs....I only have 1.3

Edit: just read that ARC can't do HD audio so I guess I don't need 1.4 cables after all lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah and again I hate that I try to be technical and accurate but lack being completely factual, there's a lot of info on "getting the right HDMI cable" also, and what to look for and the differences in HDMI... What I understand in a nutshell is that 1.3 is for Dolby HD, 1.4 is for 3d and/or 4k support, and 2.0 is for people that have more money than research time, however according to HDMI.org some features such as deep color and a lot of other fancy words that I just assume is all being do e inside the processors might not actually be supported by some manufacturers unless specifically stated on the HDMI product.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx#79

Hopefully you find this more informative than confusing. I always thought myself mind of tech savvy until I go to put together home theatre and realize how much technology is really don't even understand despite being able to afford it. Still, there is nothing wrong with trying to understand more about each link in your theatre to make sure none are weak links, and id be damned I let someone else go through all the troubleshooting in less than a few days.

Anyway, 1.3 HDMI should be fine. I think older HDMI 1.4 is also just as good even if it doesn't say UHD or 4k,the speed/data rating is probably the most important HDMI spec, and not so much the cost. Also, the shorter the cable, the better, so a 4' or 8' should be the best options unless you absolutely need longer. 4' is short but great for systems/players to receiver, and sometimes an 8' might be needed to go received to HDTV but 4' is long enough for my setup.

Yeah and again I hate that I try to be technical and accurate but lack being completely factual, there's a lot of info on "getting the right HDMI cable" also, and what to look for and the differences in HDMI... What I understand in a nutshell is that 1.3 is for Dolby HD, 1.4 is for 3d and/or 4k support, and 2.0 is for people that have more money than research time, however according to HDMI.org some features such as deep color and a lot of other fancy words that I just assume is all being do e inside the processors might not actually be supported by some manufacturers unless specifically stated on the HDMI product.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/
http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/kb.aspx#79

Hopefully you find this more informative than confusing. I always thought myself mind of tech savvy until I go to put together home theatre and realize how much technology is really don't even understand despite being able to afford it. Still, there is nothing wrong with trying to understand more about each link in your theatre to make sure none are weak links, and id be damned I let someone else go through all the troubleshooting in less than a few days.

Anyway, 1.3 HDMI should be fine. I think older HDMI 1.4 is also just as good even if it doesn't say UHD or 4k,the speed/data rating is probably the most important HDMI spec, and not so much the cost. Also, the shorter the cable, the better, so a 4' or 8' should be the best options unless you absolutely need longer. 4' is short but great for systems/players to receiver, and sometimes an 8' might be needed to go received to HDTV but 4' is long enough for my setup.
Yea I would have needed 1.4 for arc(audio return channel) but read that you can't get HD audio that way so I guess I'll just have to plug it into the receiver so 1.3 should be fine for that, again thanks for your help, you are great, I'm usually pretty good with technology but surround sound is one area where I had to do some research and take a crash course lol

There are movies that never even made it to DVD!!

Yeah, f that. I finally have rebought most of my original DVD collection's on BR format. I'm never going through that shit again.

bread's done
Back