R.I.P. LucasArts (as we know it)

Cancels Star Wars 1313 And Star Wars: First Assault....WHAT....WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Those games looked freaking amazing, man wtf they needed to release some more great Star Wars games (Okay, we did get Pinball, but that's not really a full game) and they had two coming up and they go and do this.

RIP Lucasarts, you gave us some good games over the years and you will be missed :(

Those games looked amazing. I don't understand how Disney can justify wasting all that money on those projects only to not release them. Poor, terrible business model...

Brings back memories of buying Rebel Assault (PC) for damn near $50 at Staples close to 20? years ago... and never being able to get through the third level.

Well, to be honest the LucasArts I knew and loved died years ago.

[quote name='SynGamer']Those games looked amazing. I don't understand how Disney can justify wasting all that money on those projects only to not release them. Poor, terrible business model...[/QUOTE]

Well, it wasn't Disney's money spent developing those games, and they didn't feel like they wanted to waste more money developing those games to completion.

I'm still disappointed. I was hoping that maybe Disney would have their own internal studio to actually make good Disney based games. I guess they are going to continue their recent winning practice of licensing out crappy games. I guess it is more profitable to produce drek.

1313 and First Assault were certainly showcased as top tier games, however, combined the two games could of easily costed in the $200 million to make. Lucas Arts internally did not have the chops to make these two games a reality.

A brief Twitter conversation between people from various major-ish studios:

pCNHczz.png

It is kind of dickish, I guess.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk3XpvDs0Kc&feature=youtu.be

Tim Schafer had fabulous hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see Disney did what everyone expected again. I feel like LucasArts only survived because Lucas himself didn't care about the money, he just loved everything he's built and kept them around despite the red ink. Really fucking sucks that Disney is buying companies out, gutting the risk, and moving on.

They're no better than Walmart, the wankers.

I just remembered LA developed Zombies Ate My Neighbors, one of my all-time favorite SNES games. The only reason I remember that is because if you actually beat the game (hard as hell) you got to run around their offices killing LA zombie employees lol.

Yeah, fuck Disney.

So many memories, now all shattered! Disney is all about profits as a company, so this was going to happen no matter what. Just seems that the gaming industry is slow losing the most memorable devs and it will never be the same...

[quote name='Jodou']I just remembered LA developed Zombies Ate My Neighbors, one of my all-time favorite SNES games. The only reason I remember that is because if you actually beat the game (hard as hell) you got to run around their offices killing LA zombie employees lol.

Yeah, fuck Disney.[/QUOTE]Wow, never knew that. Those dumbasses as Disney. Hopefully they don't touch Marvel....

I know everyone's disappointed about losing 1313 but if that game was really as good as the videos made it out to be, it wouldn't have been cancelled. All you need to do is look at something like Prey 2 (went unreleased) or Aliens Colonial Marines (shouldn't have been released) to see that developers can build a LOT of interest based solely on a slick demo or gameplay video which has absolutely no basis on the final product.

A different kind of Star Wars game would have been fun but clearly this game wasn't doing too well or it wouldn't have gotten cancelled. Ironically enough, it would seem like the Star Wars project that was cancelled that we should be more disappointed about is Battlefront 3 because that truly seems like a project that got edged out not because of it being a bad product but rather purely for business reasons.

[quote name='mer71']My first Lucas Arts game....Ballblazer on C64.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised to learn that LucasArts made Ballblazer and Rescue On Fractalus, both games I played a lot of on my Atari 800.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Wow, never knew that. Those dumbasses as Disney. Hopefully they don't touch Marvel....[/QUOTE]

Given the record on the movie adaptations, I wouldn't expect much from Disney. It seems that most of what they produce are lazy adaptations to cash in. While I can hope that they licence to someone who wants to do a good job, the track record isn't promising.

Disney has actually been producing some quality work (for the most part) as of late, not just video games. They have put skilled people in charge of projects and divisions instead of whoever accepts the least amount of money.

If Disney were all about cheap projects, Kingdom Hearts 3 would have been out by now

As much as I don't like seeing Lucasarts closing, it's more about nostalgia. Although I enjoyed the two Force Unleashed games, I can't think of anything remarkable Lucasarts has done in years. I'll never forget the great games they put out years and years ago but Lucasarts has been dying for a long time. I don't blame Disney. They are one of the most successful companies in the world and they probably looked at the numbers and did what needed to be done.

Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Rebel Assault 2, Maniac Mansion, Teras Kasi, and Fate of Atlantis were all games I played as a kid. Definitely a lot of fun back in the "glory days" of Lucas Arts.

bread's done
Back