R4?

grm4009

CAG Veteran
I am new to this site, but does anyone use the R4? I have heard about it, but I am not sure it's morally sound. Any insight would be great.

[quote name='grm4009']I am new to this site, but does anyone use the R4? I have heard about it, but I am not sure it's morally sound. Any insight would be great.[/quote]

If you use it for homebrew, to view comics/images, to emulate games you already own (I use the SCUMM DS emulator to play all my old LucasArts and Sierra adventures), then I think you're on firm moral footing.

If you use it to play roms, you'll burn in Hell for all eternity.:hot:

[quote name='Tybee']If you use it for homebrew, to view comics/images, to emulate games you already own (I use the SCUMM DS emulator to play all my old LucasArts and Sierra adventures), then I think you're on firm moral footing.

If you use it to play roms, you'll burn in Hell for all eternity.:hot:[/quote]

How is that different then running a rom in emulation? I mean, if you own the game why can't you run the rom on an RF, M3DSS, etc, whether in an emu or not an emu? For the record, I have an M3DSS and use it to run homebrew and to run roms of NDS games THAT I OWN. In fact, I'm ripping my own carts for the roms. Morally I definitely think I'm in the right. Legally? I certainly ought to be in the right there too. And, IMHO, the DS is oh so much better when you can easily carry all your games with you inside one cartridge instead of carting around a DS and 20 cartridges and all that swapping. It's also a lot harder to lose a DS with a cart in it, then to lose one of many loose cartridges.

^^^

Same here. I have all the games I own on it.
A little homebrew, and a couple movies I've ripped/converted.

Works great. I bought one for my son, and my sister.

[quote name='crunchewy']How is that different then running a rom in emulation? I mean, if you own the game why can't you run the rom on an RF, M3DSS, etc, whether in an emu or not an emu? For the record, I have an M3DSS and use it to run homebrew and to run roms of NDS games THAT I OWN. In fact, I'm ripping my own carts for the roms. Morally I definitely think I'm in the right. Legally? I certainly ought to be in the right there too. And, IMHO, the DS is oh so much better when you can easily carry all your games with you inside one cartridge instead of carting around a DS and 20 cartridges and all that swapping. It's also a lot harder to lose a DS with a cart in it, then to lose one of many loose cartridges.[/quote]Legally you own the cart and can play the cart on your DS. But that is different from having the right to play the game off a ripped rom of a game you own. If the terms of use don't include that right (which they don't), then you don't have the right to do it (yes, even though you own the game). So legally speaking, no, that's not your right even though you own the game. Morally speaking, I tend to think illegal activities are not moral activities.

Now, whether anyone cares if you play a ROM if you own the game is a different story. You can make a strong case that Nintendo should not care based on good business sense, but that is a separate realm from the legal discussion.

bread's done
Back