Race Driver: GRID Info - Demo On XBLM

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The demo was a blast, I want to pick it up but with NGII and Lego Indy...I'm going to hold off a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

I hear that...too many good games coming out this month is gonna make me broke if I'm not careful. :)

[quote name='Spybreak8']Some info on the game: http://www.oxmonline.com/article/previews/g-l/grid

Edit: Just got my July OXM today and they gave GRID a 9 out of 10, also have the 24 hour race, the Le Mans Race, in the game but you can change it to 12 minutes, 24 minutes or a couple of hours. It is the next iteration of TOCA and Pro Race Driver as DiRT was Colin McRae series.

Short summary
+Fantastic graphics, AI, and handling
+Creative, absorbing career
-Lousy voices; multiplayer could be deeper
?Will anyone ever find a smart solution to the first
turn carnage in racing games?

I"m stoked, also works well with the wheel![/quote]

You can seriously set it up for the 24 hours?

Dear god if the achievement for completing a Le Man's Race requires you to race the whole 24 hours then I am probably never going to get it.

Oh and in regards to the wheel, is it worth getting the wheel just for this game?

[quote name='Razzuel']You can seriously set it up for the 24 hours?

Dear god if the achievement for completing a Le Man's Race requires you to race the whole 24 hours then I am probably never going to get it.

Oh and in regards to the wheel, is it worth getting the wheel just for this game?[/quote]

I think you can only do at most a couple of hours for Le Mans, but I'm not 100% sure.

To me, this game seems like it would be played better with a controller, just because the throttle is very feathery, the brakes are quite strong, and the handling is pretty touchy. Maybe a wheel would be worth it if you drove without assists, but then it'd have to be a pretty good wheel. Plus, most people drive slower with assists on.

So, I don't think it'd be a good idea to buy a wheel just for this game, but I can't say I've tried playing it with a wheel either :lol:

In my opinion Forza 2, PGR 3&4 are great games for the wheel. Not surprising for Forza 2 since they designed it around it but it does work for PGR games and I've heard does work well again with GRID. Wheel didn't work well with DiRT at all and the biggest thing if you hit a jump and your wheels were off by a bit you could have some bad times or worst some really bad wrecks. Now with GRID you have more open tracks and that cool crash rewind feature anyway. I usually play PGR4 with a controller but its fun to get the wheel out and play it as well. I found the wheel slightly used on Pricegrabber for 80 bucks though. The wheel worked for DiRT when you were racing in the CORR (buggies, offroad trucks) mode.

Jut F.Y.I, the bonus codes are universal.
From GameFAQs:

TUN58396 All drift cars
MUS59279 All muscle cars
F93857372 Buchbinder 320si Livery
M38572343 Free Pagani Zonda R
P47203845 Play.com Livery
G29782655 Unlock a BMW 320si for Use in Grid World and Raceday. Locked to Gamestation Livery

I've been having quite a bit of fun with the demo too, and I'm not a big racing fan usually.

I also really dig the music during the menus... :p

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Isn't this out? I was going to buy it at Target, they didn't have it.[/quote]

I think it released a couple days ago. Rented it today and so far its a great game. Highly recommend it.

^Rented? how? Nobody here even knew what I was talking about.

I picked it up at Fry's for $49.99 on sale.

I'm torn as much as this game is confused... There are some parts that are simulation like about this game and some that are really really Arcade like.

I have to say I've been enjoying the Stangs a lot, powersliding them around.

There's a rollover achievement and I'm well on my way. xD

I've heard about the choppiness of the X360 version, and that it desperately needs a patch. Was a patch already released for this?

[quote name='jrutz']I've heard about the choppiness of the X360 version, and that it desperately needs a patch. Was a patch already released for this?[/quote]
IIRC, it only affects certain consoles/disc drives. I haven't gotten any slowdown whatsoever online or off, with about 5 hours playtime.

Yeah, I've heard about those issues too but I haven't experienced any of them so far too.

My 360 loves to freeze randomly though...

Two things:

1. I haven't had any issues with the game glitching up during races. It's all been smooth sailing, er, driving. That is, until I crash violently into a barrier.

2. My awesome wife bought me the official 360 wheel as an early b-day present. Holy shit. GRID + Wheel = really good times.

got the game yesterday. really bad frame rate issues, plus LOTS of stuttering during races (many bad words spoken...). returned it and got another copy. similar probs but not as bad as before. be advised. also, steering feels VERY slippery - could be because i do lots of pgr, who knows...looks beautiful, though

[quote name='geezer_man']got the game yesterday. really bad frame rate issues, plus LOTS of stuttering during races (many bad words spoken...). returned it and got another copy. similar probs but not as bad as before. be advised. also, steering feels VERY slippery - could be because i do lots of pgr, who knows...looks beautiful, though[/quote]
Studering is from a bug, the patch should be out soon. I can find the link from a Codemasters forum post if you want the proof.

I've had no frame rate issues or stuttering at all. The only thing that is a tad annoying is that sometimes when playing online the lag causes the cars to come in and dissappear sometimes. SO basically you don't see your opponent and then suddenly there he is.

Picked this game up, not really a racer fan, and this game is so MUCH FUN! I wish xbox supported the PS2 wheel that turns like a real car.

Great game, but the stuttering is annoying. Should've fixed this before release as it really breaks up the flow of races.

Also, no split screen single console multiplayer? BOO.

Ha when do they ever do single split screen multiplayer. Might be Xbox Live's fault on that though since they want you to do Co-op with an online friend now and days.

Glad I'm going to rent this first (still broke), I'd say I'd love this game, but this way I can see if I have any fps problems and such. Remember clearing your hdd cache fixes frame rate issues as well if you have any.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']That's a killer price, where'd you get it?[/quote]
The 35% off eBay deal. I found a new copy for $53.97 shipped. $17.49 cashback.

[quote name='SynGamer']The 35% off eBay deal. I found a new copy for $53.97 shipped. $17.49 cashback.[/quote]

:whistle2:k What eBay deal...how does it work?

[quote name='SynGamer']Just bought this new for $36.48...how is it overall? Fun? Frustrating? How's the online multiplayer?[/quote]
Its basically the demo, just more cars/modes/tracks. Play it as an arcade racer, and you won't be disappointed (its even more arcadey than PGR)The flashbacks really make this game stand out, since it can be frustrating when you mess up on the last lap of a long race.

And the experience of midnight races alone almost makes the game worth it.

As far as online goes, its your standard points style racing game. You still have to deal with horrible drivers, country bashing ,etc.

[quote name='moojuice']Its basically the demo, just more cars/modes/tracks. Play it as an arcade racer, and you won't be disappointed (its even more arcadey than PGR)The flashbacks really make this game stand out, since it can be frustrating when you mess up on the last lap of a long race.

And the experience of midnight races alone almost makes the game worth it.

As far as online goes, its your standard points style racing game. You still have to deal with horrible drivers, country bashing ,etc.[/quote]
Well, i likely wouldn't have paid $60 for this, but for the price i was able to get it for, sounds like the perfect price point for what the game offers. Any CAGS race online together?

[quote name='SynGamer']Just bought this new for $36.48...how is it overall? Fun? Frustrating? How's the online multiplayer?[/QUOTE]

I like it a lot. I had some problems with slowdown and framerate stuttering during the first couple hours but nothing since. The game is essentially a more arcade-like version of PGR3 since you can't win a race by just hitting the gas throughout the entire race, but cars accelerate really quickly and the handling is more loose than a sim-type game. I think it's a lot of fun though, there's a bunch of different types of races, and just switching from open wheel races to muscle cars feels different. The flashbacks keep the game from being frustrating since if you make a mistake you can rewind and try it again, though depending on the difficulty level you are limited to the number of times this can be used.

Only played once online and the online was smooth, but I played Destruction Derby Race and it bugged me that totalled cars seem to disappear, which they don't do in single player.

Well I had this on my gamefly Q but it was at a low availibility rate, that and Xplay gave it a 5 out of 5 so I scrapped up some money and put it in my bank. Got it off amazon and had to pay tax, what crap, glad I still get free shipping. I can't wait to get the game, I've been playing PGR4 the past couple of days and just love these kind of games.

Well I finally got to play the demo which was on the OXM disc! I thought it was a good demo, I liked what I saw and played but man I sucked at drifting. I'm still waiting for the game to come in the mail from Amazon...living out in the Boonies sucks lol.

The demo grew on me...bought the full game and i just can't stand the handling. Honestly, what were they thinking? eBay'd for $47.99.

I thought the handling was good, kept it interesting instead of accurate. It's not a forza. Anyways I finally got the game today and I've played a lot so much, can't put it down. I hit two people in mid air on the derby race, lol omg. If you're into arcade racing games this is a must.

So can anyone tell me what info I am looking for when it comes to picking a good teammate. All the teammates I've chosen haven't ever won 1st place and usually come up last or 4 or 5th to last. Is it better to have a lot of consistency or not as much but a more well rounded driver with skills, reaction, aggression and all that. I love it when your teammate says I'm sorry I can't get out of last place! Get some balls! Just unlocked seeing the global challenges.

So um does anyone know if I get disconnected and I set a world record! that it never posts it because I'm not connected to live. There were storms and it took out my connection for our satellite internet. Also I really suck at drifting, I think I need to get the handle of the controls but does anyone have any pointers to get to drift king and stuff?

I'm trying to fit it in between ff6 for my gba. I think it's great, but I don't see it getting a lot of attention here except for the mention of the demo. Any thoughts or comments?

[quote name='equest943']I'm trying to fit it in between ff6 for my gba. I think it's great, but I don't see it getting a lot of attention here except for the mention of the demo. Any thoughts or comments?[/QUOTE]

It's a fun arcade style racing game, but it was released with a glitch that causes some slight pausing during races, which is very annoying. There is supposed to be a patch out sometime soon to fix this issue. Otherwise the game looks great graphically, and it has some of the best damage models outside of Burnout, but isn't a racing sim at all. Cars accellerate really quickly and the handling feels kind of loose. I thought it was a good time, but the glitchiness pissed me off.

Does anybody still play this game anymore? I've found it to be one of my favorite arcade racing games. It's more realistic than say Burnout but it still gives you that fun factor. Codemaster's can make racing games.:applause: Just got the keep rolling achievement and today I finished up some drifting races to secure the Seasoned Pro achievement! Was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to get the Combo King and Gotta Drive Them All achievement. Is there a stat that shows which car you've driven, I can't see it anywhere and which track would be the best for getting the Combo King?

There's one track, I believe is it in the city (as opposed to the industrial area), where you can just drift continuously in a circle. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name. Maybe dig through GameFAQs.

And Midnight Toque is something that any race fan should try.

Last edited by a moderator:
New DLC just hit, info in the marketplace thread, anyone getting it? I would if I had some points but after black friday, xbox marketplace sale and cyber monday, I'm broke lol. 8 new cars and two events, anyone wish to share what the two events are if you get it. Just got the world record achievement the other day.^^

I'd just like the chance to drive a GT-R seeing as how Gran Tourismo is a little whiles off, plus I don't have a PS3. Not sure I want to spend the points. It is a GREAT game, but I am absolutely horrible at it. It's the most fun I've ever had with an arcadey-sim racing game.

I finally got the wheel out for this game, figured I try it out since I have the game beaten by the controller. It works really well, the options to calibrate your wheel are awesome, threw on some deadzone for the wheel, gas and brake. It was tough at first but it didn't take long to really mesh with the wheel when I set two world records! Too bad I did this when I was logged in as my wheel silver account, (a seperate profile always using the wheel).

bread's done
Back