Radeon 4850, Vista, and DX10... is it supposed to be this crappy?

Unassuming Local Guy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I'm sitting on an RMA for my ASUS Radeon HD 4850 right now because I can't go more than five minutes with Gears of War & DX10/AA on without crashing. I had some Crysis problems too. (Though that may have been more a bug with the game.)

What do you guys think? I thought it was the card or model at first and planned on replacing it with a HIS 4870. But the more I look into it, the more I see it might be ATI being lazy with their Vista drivers. Should I just steer clear of ATI and go with a newer NVIDIA card? Does NVIDIA have their shit together with their latest gen cards and drivers?

Heh you guys have short memories. Search around for nVidia, SLI, Vista + problems :D
That said, it's not MS's fault, but on the hardware guys in general. Nobody was ready.

I always had terrible luck with ATI drivers. I hate to be fanboyish, but the driver issue has definitely made me and nVidia guy.

ATI drivers are notoriously bad, which is why most people use alternate drivers.

My father just got the same card, ASUS and all, and had repeated crashing with The Witcher until he changed drivers.

Good choice on the ASUS card though, the smartdoctor program on the utilities disk is great for temp control since the current drivers fail @ fan control.

Drivers don't affect the card itself. Can they even tell when you've used an alternate driver?

But I don't know about their warranty policy.

[quote name='siamesellama']I'm assuming third party drivers throw the warranty out the door.[/QUOTE]
What would drivers have to do with the warranty?

[quote name='Damian']What would drivers have to do with the warranty?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Possibly cause the card to malfunction. fuck up the fan and melt the GPU. Who knows?

Where can one procure these third party drivers?

Relatedly, the Samsung monitor drivers (well, color profile, but it's included with their drivers) doesn't work right with Vista and they haven't fixed it, it's been like two years now?

Perhaps somewhat unrelated, but it pisses me off when manufacturers release products that aren't compatible and make no effort to remedy the problem.

[quote name='siamesellama']I don't know. Possibly cause the card to malfunction. fuck up the fan and melt the GPU. Who knows?

Where can one procure these third party drivers?[/quote]

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Since you are not modifying the card at all, you cannot void the warranty. Everything is done on the OS side. And I believe that Ati has actually recognized them and supported their work.

There is no way that the drivers can fuck up the fan or melt the gpu as all they do is act like an interpreter and do not control the fan speed or the clock speed. The worst it would do is make the system unstable and force you to reinstall (which can happen on either 1st or 3rd party drivers).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the VT 4850 and it ran the same, sometimes a bit worse and sometimes a bit better, than my xfx 8800gs :whistle2:\. I now have the dual slot msi 8800gt and it's working great ;)! By the way I play at 14x9

bread's done
Back