RAM help... macbook

racthamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
I'm thinking about getting the macbook pro and looking into adding 1GB RAM to it. I check on crucial.com and the RAM is $160ish ( I thought I saw it at around $130ish just last weekend)..

i'm totally new to RAM terminology, but the spec of the installed ram for Macbook is

512 MB (single SO-DIMM) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) - $160ish at crucial

however, I have seen deal for notebook computer for much much less (usually from outpost) but the spec is a bit different here is it

DDR2 1GB PC2-4200 (533MHz) 200 Pin So-Dimm - $60ish at outpost

my question is, if I buy the PC2-4200 (533MHz) would I be able to use it in the macbook which already have 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) installed? is it just the speed different? (if yes. i wouldn't mind.. since it shouldn't matter that much)..

thank you for anyhelp

In theory, it would underlock the PC2-5300 memory down to PC2-4200 speeds. In practice, who knows what it'll do.

Though, one of the big things with the Centrino Duo chipset is support for PC2-5300 memory. I'm sure the system will be looking for memory of that speed and might have issues if you're going to feed it slower memory. It's so new, no one has had a chance to try it and see what happens.

My advice is to buy the right speed memory for the MacBook Pro.

bread's done
Back