Random Gems

Brian22

CAGiversary!
Anyone have any random cheap games they could recommend that are good.

I bought jet set radio future and its a pretty good game.

Any other quirky games that may have not sold 1 million but are good.

Shenmue 2 - $5. There's no reason at all not to own it. Goblin Commander ($8) is also good if you have a consistent gaming partner. It's the best console RTS right under Pikmin 2.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks. Best 2 player beat-em-up since Final Fight.[/QUOTE]

I rented it, and thought it was only so-so. The gameplay got repetitive fairly quickly. Of course, I never played it co-op, and the damn thing kept getting stuck at loading screens on my Xbox.

If you can find it, Phantom Dust! The Warriors is also great. If you liked JSRF, some of the other Sega games are equally enjoyable. Gunvalkyrie, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, etc.

Total Overdose - its GTA crossed with Max Payne, and IMHO is one of the few games where the "funny" scenes were actually funny. Good stuff when you want some "blow shit up" gameplay.

[quote name='Raiikoh']If you can find it, Phantom Dust! The Warriors is also great. If you liked JSRF, some of the other Sega games are equally enjoyable. Gunvalkyrie, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon, etc.[/QUOTE]
Definitely Phantom Dust. I was at TRU a few days ago and they had about 20 copies for $7 or so. Another quirky game I like is Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics. It's a turn-based strategy wargame, if you are into those (think Advance Wars, but much more realistic and complex).

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I rented it, and thought it was only so-so. The gameplay got repetitive fairly quickly. Of course, I never played it co-op[/QUOTE]

That's why, then. It's a passable 1 player game, but 2 players is a fucking blast.

Armed & Dangerous (hilarious shooter with the best weapons ever)
Beyond Good & Evil (one of the best games of this gen)
Brothers in Arms (either one is an awesome WWII FPS with the ability to command your squad)
Chronicles of Riddick (best licenced FPS since Goldeneye, better than the movie)
Oddworld: Stanger's Wrath (another great game that no one played)
Phantom Dust (great game with Live capabilities)
Whacked! (great party game with Live capabilities even though no one plays it online anymore)

Some cheap overlooked recommendations:

Amped 2 - Great snowboarding game, much better than the first.
Beyond Good & Evil - Ignored and overlooked at first, it's got great characters, story and zelda-like adventure gameplay.
Breakdown - Played entirely from the first person, great sci-fi story.
Crash n Burn - Released about the same time as Burnout 3 so it lost out on comparisons to that game. It's a fun destruction derby-style driving game.
Deathrow - Futuristic team sports game.
I-Ninja - Fun and challenging action-platform game.
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System - Another great action-shooter game.
Midtown Madness 3 - City-based driving game. Think Midnight Club without the bling.
Panzer Dragoon Orta - Fantastic rail shooter. One of the best looking games for the system.
Phantom Dust - Best action/card game ever. Music and story are really good too.
Rallisport Challenge 2 - Best racing game for the system. Plays great and has smooth and shiny graphics to boot.
Voodoo Vince - Best traditional platformer for the system. The sense of humor kicks it up a notch and makes it that much more fun.

Also, you should know that only about a dozen games sold over a million copies on the Xbox.

If you can find them, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi, and Otogi 2. Three reasons why I still have faith that someone at SEGA is still making good games. Please SEGA, stop trying to revive Sonic and focus on developing new and exciting franchises.

[quote name='MadFlava']If you can find them, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi, and Otogi 2. Three reasons why I still have faith that someone at SEGA is still making good games. Please SEGA, stop trying to revive Sonic and focus on developing new and exciting franchises.[/quote]

QFT

[quote name='MadFlava']If you can find them, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi, and Otogi 2. Three reasons why I still have faith that someone at SEGA is still making good games. Please SEGA, stop trying to revive Sonic and focus on developing new and exciting franchises.[/QUOTE]
Otogi was developed by From Software, which generally make awesomely underrated games.

Panzer Dragoon Orta was developed by Smilebit, which has now been dissolved and reabsorbed by Sega.

Sega as a publisher has but out some good stuff this generation.

Sega as a developer is all but dead to me.

bread's done
Back