Random pop-ups everwhere I go, driving me NUTS!

SMMM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Everywhere I go, I get the same popups and its driving me nuts. I tried every anti-spyware program out there, and still nothing. what to do?! I also get random sounds or music out of nowhere. Like right now, I'm hearing some guy talk about his "unlimited success with his website", with no visible popups.

Sounds like you got one of those easily, and therefore perfectly acceptable, removable advertising programs.

Supposedly, some sites install advertisement on your computer (usually it'll be a discrete message, when a site that asks you a question on a normal looking Windows pop up box or say it'll install an app if you continue). And if they give you the option to uninstall it from your Add/Remove programs from your control panel, then spyware apps won't be able to pick it up.

Just go through your Add/Remove programs and find stuff that you think looks suspicious. Then Google it and see if what it's used for is legit or if it's spyware crap (don't go uninstalling random stuff, many legit apps use stupid names in Add/Remove).

Personally I'd start the system from scratch all over again - especially if you do your banking/shopping online. Who knows what kind of security holes are in your system that could contain key-loggers and other stuff like that.

Have you checked AIM by any chance? A lot of times I'll hear a random commercial, and then I realize it's a stupid video ad playing at the top of my buddy list window.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Have you checked AIM by any chance? A lot of times I'll hear a random commercial, and then I realize it's a stupid video ad playing at the top of my buddy list window.[/quote]

That's why i use an AIM ad remover, can't stand that crap

I would just restart windows. Get all your files off and reboot (and stop looking at...well, you get the joke ;))

bread's done
Back