Ranking the Final Fantasy Series

I can only rank the ones I have played to completion.

1) FF VI
2) FF VII
3) FF IV
4) FF Mystic Quest

I've only played through half of FF V and 1/4 of FF X-2, I have all the FF's released in the US but haven't played much of them.

I can only rank the ones I have played to completion.

1) FF VI
2) FF VII
3) FF IV
4) FF Mystic Quest

I've only played through half of FF V and 1/4 of FF X-2, I have all the FF's released in the US but haven't played much of them.

I played Final Fantasy 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and here is how I would rank them (from BEST to Worst)

#1 - Final Fantasy 6 (SNES - 1994)
I think this one has the best story, most memorable and unique characters, incredible use of 2-D graphics (capable of showings emotions and modds of the characters). Thegame is huge, lots of side quests and never boring. I played (finished) it maybe 4 or 5 times and at one time I actually made time to check out EVERYTHING the game had to offer, sidequest, mini-games, uber rare items, ... I dont remember how many hours I put into that one play through but its gotta be over 60 hours ! And that is a game that shipped on a freaking cartridge !!! I guess this is by far the least linear FF game in the series...

#2 - Final Fantasy 7 (PSX - 1997)
The graphical just when this series hit the PlayStation was incredible. No one could deny this when this game shipped, but today I think it is harder to enjoy this "first wave" of 3-D games; it looks horrible. Never the less, this game was great, brought a lot of new sci-fi elements to the series, had great combat and dont forget all those cutscenes ! Wow ! This games surely diserves number 2 (or number one for some who started their RPG experience with it) spot in a FF ranking but the truth is that as good as it was, I find it difficult to go back to this one. It kinda breaks my fond memories of it.

#3 - Final Fantasy 12 (PS2 - 2006)
Awesome battle system, great graphics (cant believe its a PS2 game). Mostly good story, good blend of magic and technology. Good voice acting (since voice acting is a ff10 and ff12 only feature). Dont have anything bad to say about it.

#4 - Final Fantasy 8 (PSX - 1999)
Coming out only 2 years after the uber popular FF7, this one had everything going against it, just because it was set to be FF7-2. Anybody saying something bad about this one will be actually comparing it to FF7. This one made a HUGE graphical leap; you could play it now and the visuals would not seem dated at all. This was the PSX reaching its limit ! Great game, does have some things that hold it back here and there but a lot of new systems, new settings, new ideas, mostly pretty good ones too, but the main beef people have with this one is probably the kinda EMO main character that really gets annoying.

#5 - Final Fantasy 4 (SNES - 1991)
Not being able to read japanese and so import FF game from Japan... This was MY sequel to the original Final Fantasy (NES - 1990). If I were to judge it by this (wrong) connection, this would be quite an accomplishment in console RPG history. When I look at it with all the facts now, the creators of these games had a couple of tries to see what worked and what didnt work with their series. So this would be the reason this game is not higher in my ranking. Great games, great story, finally some reasonnable backstory fr these charaters Im supposed to care about ! Iguess the remakes on GBA and PSX give you a better localisation making the game closer to the experience intended by its creators. try it.

#6 - Final Fantasy 9 (PSX - 2000)
This one is good but not great. The move back to the super difformed look held me back a little. The mini games are not on par with the ones in FF8 and the nostalgia trip this game was supposed to trigger inside me didnt really happen. It isnt bad but this one never gripped me like the other ones. I did not feel the need to explore everything the game had to offer because of this.

#7 - Final Fantasy 1 & 3 (NES - 1987 & 1990)
Okay games, Great for their time I guess but today, you cant put 10-30 hours of game play with an RPG that had mostly silent and uninterresting characters. These games helped pave the way to greater games and made the RPG genre into what it is but things have evolved so much after that that its hard to go back and enjoy them.

#8 - Final Fantasy 10 (PS2 - 2001)
Awww ! If only looks were enough ... Looks great, play i fun, but the story (and above all else the maps) is/are far too linear. the water theme did nothing for me... The sports game was a good idea but was mostly boring... the ultimate evil you fight is not appealing at all, nothing like the bad guy in FF7 ! Add to that the worst voice acting Ive ever heard and this would be calle a flop. Of course the game being bad doesnt mean it didnt sell well or was not well recived by the critics and gamers ... Skip it ! Pretty much all other FF games are actully better than this one ...

thats it... oh ! I forgot something....

If you havent played it before, yo must try this game : CHRONO TRIGGER !!!!

Final Fantasy V just for this guy.

32%20-%20Gilgamesh.gif

It was the first commercial Final Fantasy that focused on one character and everything was diffrent to the point where it stood out.

1. was like a DAD game but is what makes all the rest fun.
2 was a big enhancement and was more personal.
3 did a repeat of the first game but had more.
4 was just regular FF on the SNES ( The fact we went into space and beyond
6 was just best graphical version ( kefka was the big Highlight of this game )
7 just was 6 but in 3d ( Reno and rude is the highlight of this game.
8 outdid great but alot of people was unhappy since there was no equip system.
9 was okay and spectacular but when you get down to it is too much to handle at once
10 was okay considering 9 took us back to the NES style of things.
11 network game and was
12 is pretty much like 6 but to be honest I never finished it. I heard it is might out do V.

The point is after playing all the games only then you can judge fairly.

If I remember correctly five was also the one with the big gigantic Bahummut etrance also but the same entrance was in three.

I say five no matter what since the art is well balanced with the gameplay and music. The story is also far more intresting and funnier then the other games.
When was the last time you had a battle on a bridge against sea monster jumping out the water and was not Castlevania?

Let's have more fun and rank the entries in the College Hoops series.

6. College Hoops 2K6- While still an excellent game, it brought nothing new to the table and only lost the ESPN license.

5. College Basketball 2K3- The excellent first iteration of the series is still the best college basketball sim on any Nintendo system.

4. ESPN College Hoops- When I heard about the ESPN license I was really, really happy- and this game makes the best of it.

3. College Hoops 2K7- The first real next-gen entry is better than March Madness 08.

2. ESPN College Hoops 2K5- It's an absolute classic. This is the first game with robust online play, it added tons of features, the graphics were amazing, and it retailed at $20.

1. College Hoops 2K8- The latest version is chock full of features, but the best yet is 2K Share- now, we have the rosters for every team via a loophole. Online play is unparalled, and NEVER laggy.

College Hoops > Final Fantasy, no lie.

I didn't like XII that much. The storyline was pretty good and the graphics were simply great but i did not like the battle system, i was expecting the more traditional battle style for ff series i guess but i just didn't like it. i returned that game the next day after i rented it.
I like real time battles though. I probably should have gave it a little more time but whatever.

I agree with most of the list except that 12 shouldn't be on the list. 12 is not a game, it was more like a world simulator than anything else. People complained about MGS4 cut scenes making you put down the controller, this game takes the cake in terms of no cooperation. Personally I beat the final boss while cooking dinner. The thing literally won itself.

IX - The game had a unique difference from all the others.
X - Great story, loved it.
I/II/III/IV - 4 way tie for the first four. I remember playing them as a little kid.
VII - Another great game, but I never really got into it as much. Don't know why
VIII - Again, didn't delve into it.
XII - A whole new feel. I really did not like it, at all.

i know this is an old thread but here we go. and i have played all numbered entries except XIV.

13. II: as others have said, it really is hard to go back and play this one. everything is just dated.

12. I: i did not play the first game until the psx iterations, but i never understood the appeal. yes you can pick your jobs, but you can in III also. lame, cliche story just never did it for me.

11. III: to me it has a feel similar to the first, just executed better (hence the higher rank).

10. X-2: honestly, i dont hate this as much as some people. yes the "mission" system was kinda lame, and the story wasnt great, but i really enjoyed the faster paced battle system.

9. V: the job system was at its best here. i thought the story was decent, but not mindblowing.

8. XIII: lets be honest: the first 10 chapters of this game are boring. i almost quit playing. but once you hit the new world in chapter 11 and are free to explore somewhat, the game really improves. didnt care much for the characters though.

7. VII: before you kill me, hear me out. i love cloud as a character. and barrett was entertaining. and yes i was shocked when aeris died. but the graphics, battle system, and translation do not hold up well at all. materia didnt give characters any specialties, you could just make anybody anything really. still a great game regardless.

6. X: i loved the sphere grid, and the summons, and the battle system. the voice acting also blew me away when i first heard it. i could still go back and play it today.

5. IV: great characters, great story, fun battle system. not much to complain about here.

4. IX: i enjoyed the whole old school feel to this one. i also loved vivi/steiner, and the story in general. the fact that you could play co op(kind of) helped, as i played through with my cousin.

3. VI: yes, its number 3. great cast of characters, and very interesting mechanics (like when your party splits up, or the opera scene). the second world was also great, and a nice twist in the story.

2. VIII: i just really connected with this one. i hardly ever use summons, but i did in this game. i loved the improved graphics, and the whole seed academy aspect. no the characters werent the most fleshed out, but it had one of the best romantic subplots imo.

1. XII: i LOVED this game. yes you could automate the battles almost, and yes some characters were worthless(penelo...), but the atmosphere was amazing, the hunts were epic, and the political plot really got me interested. i probably put more hours in this than any of them.

i didnt rank XI bc its an MMO, but it was wayyyy to slow for me.

Ah I'll toss in on this. From Worst to Best

13.) Final Fantasy II
12.) Final Fantasy III
11.) Final Fantasy IX
10.) Final Fantasy X-2
9.) Final Fantasy XIII
8.) Final Fantasy
7.) Final Fantasy V
6.) Final Fantasy XII
5.) Final Fantasy VIII
4.) Final Fantasy X
3.) Final Fantasy VII