Raptor HDD( 10,000RPM, 32MB Cache, etc)

darkchaostitan

CAGiversary!
As most people are when looking into buying a raptor are seeking excellent performance. Still as good as they may be, people still need a decent price.

What I'm looking for is for a cheap Raptor HDD that I can use for my OS (XP) with program files, and such. That way I can at least improve my performance when working.

Also on a side note, I'd also like to know how to control partitions more effectively. I have a HDD with two seperate partitions that I'd like to combine(do i just format both and hope for the best?). Also can I chop partitions from 1 HDD and still maintain effective performance of multiple Operating Systems?

From what I've read those single-platter drives have performance not far off from 10k drives.. with far less heat/noise and without the reliability issues, and you get more gb/$. Something to consider.

I wouldn't get a 10k drive, personally.

Yeah, I've never liked the idea of investing in a 10k rpm HDD. And as for partition management, use either Partition Magic or an Ubuntu Live Disc.

I like PM better. But Ubuntu is free...

I second partition magic. Makes it very easy to partition the drive in XP, although it's nowhere near as simple as in Vista.

[quote name='Koggit']From what I've read those single-platter drives have performance not far off from 10k drives.. with far less heat/noise and without the reliability issues, and you get more gb/$. Something to consider.

I wouldn't get a 10k drive, personally.[/quote]

If you could point me in the right direction of such a drive at a good price, I'd be most appreciative. Right now I'm using a partially corrupt drive with my OS, that does a chkdsk every time I boot.

bread's done
Back