Rare games of this generation?

[quote name='saticoy']Does anyone know of any games on Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii that sell for over their original MSRP?[/quote]

Are you asking if there are any rare games on the PS3, 360, or Wii as of right now or are you asking for us to predict the future? One of these things is not like the other...

DJ Max Fever Crew Edition....not that i bought any.....

People aren't guna go around telling you what's hard to find, you have to discover them for yourself. I'll give you one to make you feel good: Gripshift for PSP sealed.

I think Wario Smooth Moves for Wii was still going for a high price (after it seemed to go out of production), but I don't know if the game is actually fun enough to keep its high value in the long run. Most of that was because there weren't that many must have games the first year.

ferant, letsgetacid, and dg7md said what I was going to say. Is MGS 4 LE (Gamestop exclusive) rare or at least retain it's value?

[quote name='hopeunknown']Fable II LE is selling pretty high right now.[/QUOTE]

LOL, what a debacle that was. Why is this selling for so much? People know all the good stuff was scrapped, right? And all it has is a bonus DVD and maybe a DLC code if you were lucky enough to get a copy they remembered to put the code in.

Bioshock LE seems to get a decent price. Also the Dead Space limited edition, limited to 1,000 copies and 980 of them were apparently bought by resellers.

Oh, and AHAHAHAHA, there's a dude on eBay trying to sell the DLC code from Fable II LE for $200 and the code from the Gears of War 2 LE for $250. WTF man?

[quote name='rainking187']LOL, what a debacle that was. Why is this selling for so much? People know all the good stuff was scrapped, right? And all it has is a bonus DVD and maybe a DLC code if you were lucky enough to get a copy they remembered to put the code in.

Bioshock LE seems to get a decent price. Also the Dead Space limited edition, limited to 1,000 copies and 980 of them were apparently bought by resellers.

Oh, and AHAHAHAHA, there's a dude on eBay trying to sell the DLC code from Fable II LE for $200 and the code from the Gears of War 2 LE for $250. WTF man?[/quote]

The DLC code is the only part of the Fable II LE that is worth anything and I use that term loosely. The Halo brand carries a lot of weight behind it and seeing as how the only way to get those two items now is with that code, people are paying way too much for it.

The Gold Lancer on the other hand I honestly don't see the attraction. You'd think after it being "free" twice it had lost its value but I guess I'm wrong.

Are there any PS3 games that have any demand behind them? Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm LE seems to be holding its value.

This thread does really make me wonder if any games this generation, not collector's versions of games, will actually be worth anything? I'm thinking that there won't nearly be any actual real rare games this generation, especially compared to the past gen. Not sure why but maybe the industry bubble is just that big nowadays.

Haha I actually got on here to post a very similiar question.

With the exception of the DS it doesn't seem like any of these current systems have games with rarity potential. The CEs fetch a nice price at least for now, and there's the occasional "fluke" game like Duck Hunting, Gripshift, American Idol etc. that go for a bit, but there doesn't seem to be any games that are geniunely rare/hard to find. I remember Ace Combat 6 with the flightstick was going for quite a bit, but I think they issued a reprint. Same for Valkyrie Profile on PSP, I thought that might be a bit rare but after going to a couple local gamestops it seems sort of common.

Anyone have any thoughts on games that MIGHT be rare, that aren't CEs or anything of that sort? I'm thinking Time Crisis 4 might work it's way up over time.

I'd have to put in my votes for:

Mass Effect LE
Tales Of Vesperia LE
Street Fighter IV CE for PS3
Bioshock CE (complete w/statue)
Electoplankton (for DS)
Tetris DS
Wario Land Touched!

With the emergence of digital download I think the concept of rare games is slowing going away. Look at games like Rez and now Marvel vs Capcom once sought out as rare gems now can be picked at anytime from anywhere as long as you have the console to play it.

[quote name='MSUHitman']ferant, letsgetacid, and dg7md said what I was going to say. Is MGS 4 LE (Gamestop exclusive) rare or at least retain it's value?[/quote]

Nope. It dropped like a rock, actually. I've seen sealed ones go for like $40 and $50 on eBay. Sometimes, people will pay $100+ for the game, artbook, and Saga Volume 2, but hell, that's not even much of a profit.

[quote name='shrike4242']I'd have to put in my votes for:

Mass Effect LE
Tales Of Vesperia LE
Street Fighter IV CE for PS3
Bioshock CE (complete w/statue)
Electoplankton (for DS)
Tetris DS
Wario Land Touched![/quote]

And I have all of those except for Bioshock (didn't know if I would like the game so I never preordered it) and Electoplankton. :)

[quote name='Otherguy676']valkyria chronicles is allegdly out of print[/quote]
I doubt that. It's still in stock at Amazon, and Amazon is usually a pretty good indicator of whether something is OOP or not.

its not out of print. it could be that the game is still expensive to buy for retailers and very few people are willing to shell out $60 for it.

in 5 years i'd say:

Valkyria Chronicles
X-Edge
MGS4
Eternal Sonata

ususally the niche games are the ones that fetch for a high price.

marvel vs capcom 2 is going to come out soon saw a buy it now one with around 50 shipped be who's gonna buy it when you can have the full game plus on play in a few more months?

Saga volume 2 isn't rare, is it? I still have like ten sealed copies

marvel vs capcom 2 is going to come out soon saw a buy it now one with around 50 shipped be who's gonna buy it when you can have the full game plus on play in a few more months?
my guess is people that don't have a 360 or a ps3..

and Valkyria Chronicles could very well be out of print, and I'd believe it, as we haven't gotten any replenishment at my store in a while. The reason Amazon could still have it in stock is because, like phear3d said, not many people are willing to shell out $60 for it.. especially when it was just part of the game days sale for $29.99 recently.

Most, not all, but most, rare games come out at the end of a console's life cycle, so it's too early for those. Most other rare games are due to the lack of reprints. Pretty much anything that sells out now gets reprinted, so, yeah, don't really see a huge number of rares from this gen.

Dead Space LE (1k)
Biohazard Japanese CE
MVC2
Bioshock CE as long as it's mint I think there were some bad batches where the packaging when they shipped to the store sucked.

[quote name='flakko']in 5 years i'd say:

Valkyria Chronicles
X-Edge
MGS4
Eternal Sonata

ususally the niche games are the ones that fetch for a high price.[/QUOTE]

wat

[quote name='Tardcore']Why is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time $77 bucks (on Xbox and PS2)? Did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

yes.

It's a new copy and it's being sold by one of amazon's crappy 3rd party game sellers. There is no way in hell anyone would get close to that price for a new copy of the game on ebay.

bread's done
Back