Rate my future rig, suggestions welcome

Just by judging how much you'll spend I can tell it will be kick ass.

I had one built that kicked ass for just under $1000. Sadly I never had the funds to buy it.

[quote name='mr ryles']Just by judging how much you'll spend I can tell it will be kick ass.

I had one built that kicked ass for just under $1000. Sadly I never had the funds to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Mind, posting the specs?

[quote name='CrimGhost']Mind, posting the specs?[/QUOTE]

I don't have it anymore. It was a few months ago I was going to buy it.

It was an AMD athlon 3200 venice, a DFI MOBO, Twin 512 Ram, a 300 gig HD,

shit man I can't remember, but it can be done for just under $1000 shipped to play all the newest games in the highest quality.

just checked your stuff. It is all hella good, you'll be set for the next few years. That much ram isn't nessecary, or the processor is a bit much. But like I said you'll be set for the next few years before you'll have to upgrade.

[quote name='mr ryles']just checked your stuff. It is all hella good, you'll be set for the next few years. That much ram isn't nessecary, or the processor is a bit much. But like I said you'll be set for the next few years before you'll have to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ill be set till January 2007, when Vista comes out. DX10 video cards and all. And I just love the novelty of having 2GB of Ram, I don't know why haha.

[quote name='mr ryles']just checked your stuff. It is all hella good, you'll be set for the next few years. That much ram isn't nessecary, or the processor is a bit much. But like I said you'll be set for the next few years before you'll have to upgrade.[/quote]

huh? no computer is safe for more than 6 months- 1 year, the technology is advancing way too fast. In 1 year the top-of-the-line graphic cards of today will already be 3rd generation compared to the new ones that will be out. (ex. 6800, x850) i agree that the processor is overkill (motherboard price is also unjustified, but i dont really think ud care to save 70 or so dollars), u can save 200 bucks by picking a less powerful one bceause at a certain point the price increase doesnt justify the performance increase, but the ram is fine, if u play fear u will notice a difference, trust me, at 1gb the game freezes slightly when i went around corners, with 2gb it stopped doing that. id assume the 2gb is also very helpful in vista beta 2 right now too, as everything is working fine, fraps even gives me a reading on my fps when im on desktop (although i think its reading the "gadgets" toolbar fps and not the desktop's)

id say drop the OEM x1900xt card and pick a new x1900xtx on ebay, or the x1900xtx on newegg for 399.99. hell, with your budget, get an sli motherboard and get the 7950gx2 for 200 more and itll perform as well as crossfire 1900s, plus a possible chance to go quad in half a year or so. also be sure to get a good monitor, 20.1 widescreens can be bought for around 300 easily now. dont forget to get a good sound system for ur rig too

PS. the case also looks...unappealing

[quote name='Americanpierg']huh? no computer is safe for more than 6 months- 1 year, the technology is advancing way too fast. In 1 year the top-of-the-line graphic cards of today will already be 3rd generation compared to the new ones that will be out. (ex. 6800, x850) i agree that the processor is overkill (motherboard price is also unjustified, but i dont really think ud care to save 70 or so dollars), u can save 200 bucks by picking a less powerful one bceause at a certain point the price increase doesnt justify the performance increase, but the ram is fine, if u play fear u will notice a difference, trust me, at 1gb the game freezes slightly when i went around corners, with 2gb it stopped doing that. id assume the 2gb is also very helpful in vista beta 2 right now too, as everything is working fine, fraps even gives me a reading on my fps when im on desktop (although i think its reading the "gadgets" toolbar fps and not the desktop's)

id say drop the OEM x1900xt card and pick a new x1900xtx on ebay, or the x1900xtx on newegg for 399.99. hell, with your budget, get an sli motherboard and get the 7950gx2 for 200 more and itll perform as well as crossfire 1900s, plus a possible chance to go quad in half a year or so. also be sure to get a good monitor, 20.1 widescreens can be bought for around 300 easily now. dont forget to get a good sound system for ur rig too

PS. the case also looks...unappealing[/QUOTE]

Mind posting th mobo you had in mind? And im not looking for an appealing looking case, I hate those over pretentious people who have window sided cases and like 50 different LED's in their case. I like this Coolermaster because it's great with install and easy to bring to lan parties.

[quote name='mr ryles']I don't have it anymore. It was a few months ago I was going to buy it.

It was an AMD athlon 3200 venice, a DFI MOBO, Twin 512 Ram, a 300 gig HD,

shit man I can't remember, but it can be done for just under $1000 shipped to play all the newest games in the highest quality.[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you consider high quality I suppose- 16x12 with all the eye candy on, options turned up is what I consider "high quality"- hell even with my rig (don't have SLI yet) I can't run with all the setting set to full on most NEW games- Oblivion (for example)

Case - ugly
PSU - not bad
Processor - sweet!
mobo - looks good
memory - I'd got with OCZ but G.skill is pretty badass. I just like OCZ because they let you overclock/mess with the settings without voiding your warranty.
GPU - nice!
Optical drive/HDD - looks good, but maybe consider getting a Raptor?

Looks great! I'm not too big a fan of the case... its nice that it's aluminum (in part at least) but still, it just looks goofy. I'm grown fond of Nvidia due to SLI. With a decent GPU, you can SLI after a few years for nearly 2x the performance for very little money. And a Raptor might be nice to have, 10K RPM is a noticeable speed jump compared to 7200RPM.

My only real concern is with your socket choice. I just don't know if going with 939 is a good idea. AM2 may not seem that great now but its the new standard for AMD. They'll be realising 65nm CPUs and mid to high end CPUs have shown improved performance with DDR2 memory. At the same though, AM2 is new and 'quality' of most products (like AM2 mobos, etc.) are unproven.

I had a similar set up, except with more extras, until I decided to wait it out but it's your call (and it's a torturing wait for me).

bread's done
Back