Rayman Origins 29.99 (360/PS3/Wii) @ GameStop

Saw this last night at work, apparently its a permanent price drop and not just another sale. Great game tho~ full of rainbow spewing goodness.

Demo was interesting but nothing special. This one is bound to be sub $20 within 2 months easily, especially as an Ubisoft game. Let it drop

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Game is good and this is a much more fitting price than the $60 I paid at launch.[/QUOTE]

Seems like people aren't willing to pay $60 for a 2D platformer. It's about 8-10 hours long

I loved the demo, but $60 is just too much for anything these days. In theory, I could wait for $20 or lower, but I feel like this is an excellent price for the product.

Everyone keeps talking about how great this game is, and its not just another 2D platformer. Demo was very good, but I'm a bit confused why I can buy Outland for 14.99 at release, and rayman origins which is on the same level needs to be a 59.99 release

Not to be a snob, the art direction is phenomenal, and I would like to see more big companies going for great 2D games, but I know the market, and I'm a CAG. Will pick up in a few months for 19.99

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Everyone keeps talking about how great this game is, and its not just another 2D platformer. Demo was very good, but I'm a bit confused why I can buy Outland for 14.99 at release, and rayman origins which is on the same level needs to be a 59.99 release

Not to be a snob, the art direction is phenomenal, and I would like to see more big companies going for great 2D games, but I know the market, and I'm a CAG. Will pick up in a few months for 19.99[/QUOTE]

Outland is not on the same level as Rayman Origins. Rayman is far better. Sorry.

I really want it, but my backlog is big enough and I just know this will be available for 19.99 or less relatively soon.

[quote name='SteveGo']Outland is not on the same level as Rayman Origins. Rayman is far better. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

That's obviously a matter of preference. I love Outland, but wasn't wowed with the demo of Rayman except for it's look, which is pretty fantastic. When it hits $20 I'm in. Actually I'd probably but it at $30, but I have so much other stuff I recently picked up that there's really no point in buying it now.

[quote name='SteveGo']Outland is not on the same level as Rayman Origins. Rayman is far better. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much.

Outland is definitely nowhere near the level of Rayman.

The comparison to Outland is a good one. Both games have great art styles, and great platforming but not much depth. Also, no online multiplayer in Rayman is inexcusable.

Man I nearly picked this up for 40 a few days ago. Not that I don't think it's worth it, but I probably wouldn't get around to playing it right away anyway. $20 next month seems all but inevitable.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Also, no online multiplayer in Rayman is inexcusable.[/QUOTE]

+1. Would have already bought 2 copies if it had online coop. All the people claiming online coop wouldn't be possible don't know what they are talking about. At the very least it couldn't have hurt to throw it in as an option. I mean, even Outland has it.

At the rate this game is falling in price and apparently not selling, I figure it'll become a staple in Amazon Lightning Deal sales for sub $20 before Easter, just like Epic Mickey on Wii did.

Or wait a year until next Christmas if you've got a significant backlog and I'm sure BB will clear this out for sub-$10.

If BB price matches this, I'm going to use my $10 gift card to bring it down to $19.99. I really want this game, but I have other games in line right now so I'm not in a huge rush to purchase it.

I bought this at launch at 60 and honestly, it's one of my favorite games of the year. I think a sequel is necessary. This game is fantastic people.

[quote name='dwmacfar2']I bought this at launch at 60 and honestly, it's one of my favorite games of the year. I think a sequel is necessary. This game is fantastic people.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is. I paid 60 too, and I am perfectly fine with my purchase

[quote name='shrike4242']Any preference on which to pick between PS3 and 360?[/QUOTE]

These Rayman threads are usually full of people talking about how the PS3 one does not have 5.1 audio but the 360 one does. That's all I recall.

[quote name='shrike4242']Any preference on which to pick between PS3 and 360?[/QUOTE]

I bought the PS3 version and have no complaints. Runs great, and there's no required HDD install or any weirdness that you sometimes get with PS3 versions of multiplatform games. I think it just comes down to which controller you prefer; I like the PS3 controller better for platforming-type games like this.

[quote name='jacobeid']If BB price matches this, I'm going to use my $10 gift card to bring it down to $19.99. I really want this game, but I have other games in line right now so I'm not in a huge rush to purchase it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's where I am with this as well.

[quote name='FadeToOne']These Rayman threads are usually full of people talking about how the PS3 one does not have 5.1 audio but the 360 one does. That's all I recall.[/QUOTE]That's about all I can find, either. In that case, I'd have to defer to the 360 version as not including 5.1 audio these days is a crime of the highest order.

Honestly, never cared for Rayman as a character, so I won't be getting this game. He's just really lame to me.

Actually, now that I think of it. I don't care for many of the platformer characters that came out around that time. Spyro, Crash the Bandicoot, Rayman... none of them could hold a candle to Mario, Donkey Kong and Sonic. Bleh.

[quote name='jacobeid']If BB price matches this, I'm going to use my $10 gift card to bring it down to $19.99. I really want this game, but I have other games in line right now so I'm not in a huge rush to purchase it.[/QUOTE]

Just got back from BB & got my $22 refunded to me (I had matched it down to $49.99 a couple weeks back). Funny, I was considering returning it since I haven't opened it yet & have a more-than-full backlog, but at this price I'm fine with hanging onto it. :)

This thread has confirmed my final (I desperately hope I mean that) game purchase of 2011, using the B2G1 sale that starts tomorrow:

Rayman: Origins :)360:): $24.29
SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked :)3ds:): $31.49
Dynasty Warriors 7 :)ps3:): Free

I only hope that I can find them in excellent condition in one of the better GSs in my vicinity...

Ah, Ubisoft. My patience will pay off again when this drops to 15-20 range in 4 months.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but why isn't this game a 1200 point XBLA title? From what I've seen it's approx. 60 levels that take about 6-8 hours to beat, no 3-D or lengthy voicework means the file size would probably be no more than 2gb, and there's no online co-op.

If Outland is a non-comparible example, then how about Shadow Complex?

Did Rayman really deserve a $60 pricepoint alongside Skyrim and Arkham City?

[quote name='Pikagreg']Saw this last night at work, apparently its a permanent price drop and not just another sale. Great game tho~ full of rainbow spewing goodness.[/QUOTE]
Where did you see this?

[quote name='Kerig']I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but why isn't this game a 1200 point XBLA title? From what I've seen it's approx. 60 levels that take about 6-8 hours to beat, no 3-D or lengthy voicework means the file size would probably be no more than 2gb, and there's no online co-op.

Did Rayman really deserve a $60 pricepoint alongside Skyrim and Arkham City?[/QUOTE]

I think so. I paid $60 for it at launch, and have NO regrets. I'd rank it right under Uncharted and Skyrim on my favorite games of '11 list.

I do feel like it will drop even lower before much more time has elapsed, but if I had more to spare then I would totally jump at this. Clearly I need to start saving for holiday deals as soon as the new year starts. Put back a couple hundred bucks and just lose my mind at the end of the year.

wow it seems that Ubisoft games can't hold on to their value, i've been quite interested in this game but my huge backlog and the fact that I dont have a ps3 or xbox 360 on hand will mean i will wait it out

[quote name='Kerig']I honestly don't know the answer to this question, but why isn't this game a 1200 point XBLA title? From what I've seen it's approx. 60 levels that take about 6-8 hours to beat, no 3-D or lengthy voicework means the file size would probably be no more than 2gb, and there's no online co-op.

Did Rayman really deserve a $60 pricepoint alongside Skyrim and Arkham City?[/QUOTE]

No it should have been a downloadable game for $20. If not XBLA, then why not Games on Demand?

The game is really fun but Ubi really screwed the pooch with this one. When was the last time a 2d platformer sold for $60? People don't buy that shit anymore. And putting it up against Skyrim/MW3? Pretty much a guaranteed failure.

Why would they not look at the success of 2d platformers in the download space recently (Super Meat Boy, Splosion Man, Limbo, etc) and go that route? The mainstream consumer is going to see the lack of promotion and the quick price drop as a sign of poor quality and avoid it until its $10. By that time how many copies it sells is irrelevant and any chance of a sequel is gone.

[quote name='exaznkid']wow it seems that Ubisoft games can't hold on to their value, i've been quite interested in this game but my huge backlog and the fact that I dont have a ps3 or xbox 360 on hand will mean i will wait it out[/QUOTE]

Well, they pretty much ostracize the shit out of the PC gaming community, and while this isn't a PC title I'm sure there is some carry over.

I put over 30 hours into the game. If you want to actually 100% the game and find everything, you'll be replaying levels a lot and will put tons of time into it. I also feel like Online co-op just wouldn't be the same as couch co-op on this one, to be honest.

I'll bite if Amazon will match - I'm not a fan of GameStop :p They screwed me over on multiple reserves - including the last time selling my copy of the game -- the last copy the store had, even though I had it 100% paid off. It was new manager who sold it to one of his friends, not realizing I had 12 games on reserve. Cancelled every one.

bread's done
Back