Razer Naga Hex

INMATEofARKHAM

CAGiversary!
Feedback
228 (100%)
I'm in the market for a new mouse...  My current one seems to work just fine but I'm in need of more buttons.

Actually, I need about 10 buttons.

So that's really eliminating the field...  I think I want the Razer Naga Hex but it looks really odd shaped so I was hoping to find an owner and get their opinions of it. 

I had no problems or significant complaints with mine.  I only recently swapped it out for a G600 because I wanted to try out a mouse with more thumb buttons and the Naga was a little daunting looking with it's relatively flat side button panel.  The Hex is really nice if you either have small/medium size hands and/or use a claw grip.  Large hands or palm grip users may find it a little on the small side.  My biggest gripe is the smooth, shiny top.  It's just not as comfortable as the matte finish on some of the other Naga's or the G600.  Also, for some reason with the backlighting on, the mouse was a bit warm on both the top and ever so slightly on the thumb buttons.  Some people don't notice it, but I could.  I think I may swap back and forth between the Hex and the G600.  The G600 is great for ARPG's and the like where the extra buttons are really useful (I also use a G13, BTW), but the Hex allows for quicker access to it's fewer buttons IMO which is great for FPS and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of amazing that something that looks so big can be so small...  I had read a few reviews where the user said it felt small (or maybe it was just naga reviews in general) but I guess I sort of dismissed them...  but I can palm a regulation NBA basketball (or I could in my youth) so I should probably look elsewhere.

The G600 was on my short list.. and its got more buttons, a more normal finish, and its about 20 dollars cheaper right now...  (Even though I've never played LoL I was looking at the LoL version for its more normal finish.)  Guess I should look at the G600 some more.

G13, I've always been interested in such things but my desk is a bit smaller so I would likely have to move the keyboard around when I went to use it, it seems like a major investment for someone who doesn't do a whole lot of PC gaming, and my left hand is, well, lacking...  My WASD skills blow.  (The analog stick seems like it would be real nice but the prospect of my left hand being in charge of 20 buttons is...  well daunting.)

I'm still getting used to the G600, but the two distinct sets of button rows makes it a little more forgiving.  I have smaller hands, so I have to palm grip it due to the lever location of mouse 1 & 2.  Larger hands should be fine with a claw grip, though the ring finger button may take some adjusting to. 

Regarding the G13...I was a PC gamer until the PS1.  I went from then, through last year using console controllers.  Combine that with never being formally taught how to type and you should get an idea of my ability to navigate a keyboard.  I don't think I could currently PC game without the G13 and its WASD bound thumbstick.  The rest of the buttons are surprisingly intuitive, however.  But, I generally only use 8-12 of them, partially due to limited reach of my fingers.  Hence the G600 purchase.

I'm still getting used to the G600, but the two distinct sets of button rows makes it a little more forgiving. I have smaller hands, so I have to palm grip it due to the lever location of mouse 1 & 2. Larger hands should be fine with a claw grip, though the ring finger button may take some adjusting to.

Regarding the G13...I was a PC gamer until the PS1. I went from then, through last year using console controllers. Combine that with never being formally taught how to type and you should get an idea of my ability to navigate a keyboard. I don't think I could currently PC game without the G13 and its WASD bound thumbstick. The rest of the buttons are surprisingly intuitive, however. But, I generally only use 8-12 of them, partially due to limited reach of my fingers. Hence the G600 purchase.

Yeah, I'm thinking of waiting till tomorrow to see if my local Best Buy has the G600 on the sales floor... I would love to try it before I buy it. Mice are just so hard to compare what one would like without actually using it.

G13, sounds like I should be getting this... I'm really tempted to miss the beginning of this console generation in favor of upgrading my (aka building new) PC and such... Just wasn't impressed with how much they want to go digital without having any sorts of backwards compatibility.

Yeah, I bought the G600 without trying it out first and kinda wish I had been able to.  Only for the size, however, though I am adjusting to it.  And if it matters, I got my G13 used for $27.

Regarding new consoles, I'm doing the same thing.  I have both a PS3 and 360, but me and several of my friends are going to wait a bit on new gen purchases.  I'm doing it primarily for monetary reasons, but I'm telling myself it's so they can get all the bugs worked out of the first gen models.  I rebuilt my computer last year, though still used a couple year old parts, so as long as it lasts me till Black Friday '14, I'll be content.

i use the razor naga epic here at work. its awesome and several others now have them here too. havent used many gaming type mice before, but i def like this one for the survey drafting that i do at work

So I never made it to Best Buy to hold the G600...  Just ordered one off of amazon. 

So far I'm not sure what to think about...  I keep "losing" the right mouse button, as crazy as that sounds, and the way I feel I have to hold the mouse I have trouble pressing it down.  I think I can adjust to that, the finger is just getting a work out...  Though I will need to be careful as I've had wrist/carpel problems before.

The buttons on the side feel pretty good... I use some but not all, like I expected, but I've found that if I was using that button via the keyboard I'm still using the keyboard... So I'm not sure I really needed all these buttons after all.

So, sort of mixed feelings right now... Maybe I will go out to best buy tomorrow and feel a few mice to see if something feels more natural. Maybe the Naga or one of Steelseries more normal looking mice. (I've used intellmouse styled mice most of my life... I really do like the feel of it.)

Also I'm a bit surprised that this mouse is actually smaller than my 5 button Deathadder...

i use the razor naga epic here at work. its awesome and several others now have them here too. havent used many gaming type mice before, but i def like this one for the survey drafting that i do at work
What exactly do you use the extra buttons for? Different macro commands? I'm curious because I also do drafting for survey and civil engineering work and I just use some shitty Logitech mouse.

What exactly do you use the extra buttons for? Different macro commands? I'm curious because I also do drafting for survey and civil engineering work and I just use some shitty Logitech mouse.
yep. we use autocad, so I made macros for my end-snaps and various commands I use alot like distance, dupe, and what not. company paid for them so I dont have any complaints.

edit: Im also at a civil surveying / engineering company. awesome.

yep. we use autocad, so I made macros for my end-snaps and various commands I use alot like distance, dupe, and what not. company paid for them so I dont have any complaints.

edit: Im also at a civil surveying / engineering company. awesome.
That's a pretty cool idea. I mostly use keyboards shortcuts for everything, but macro buttons would be helpful for commands I need to locate in menus. My company would never spend that much money on a mouse though.

That's a pretty cool idea. I mostly use keyboards shortcuts for everything, but macro buttons would be helpful for commands I need to locate in menus. My company would never spend that much money on a mouse though.
yea i hate having to click across the screen for all my commands. we used to use digitizer tablets. very oldschool. couldnt get them to work totally with new computers, so this was a excellent fix. luckily our company was please to buy them for anyone who wanted one.

bread's done
Back