Razer Onza Reviews, Pre-Order Coupon Codes, Link for Amazon order

Veritasiness

CAG Veteran
onza-comparison.jpg

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.54297600

RZRFRSH1PUS - Free Shipping
RZRFRSH1PCA Free Shipping to Canada
RZRFRSH1PEU Free Shipping to Europe
PWN4G3 or RAZERTHX (Credit to z3razerviper)- Save $5
Credit to CyReN on the mlgpro.com forums for the coupon codes.

Link to Amazon Pre-order page. No coupon codes but it is eligible for prime (Credit to VISCO)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004DTU0W2/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Here is a review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE2phSLc-Ug

Last edited by a moderator:
You must've read my mind - I was just thinking that I wanted to order one of these, but shipping is kinda ridiculous for a controller.... add a $5 discount to the mix and it became a no-brainer ^_^

Thanks OP!

[quote name='pun123']do they make one of these for the PS3, that would be sweet.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, not as of yet. I'm hoping they come up with a PS3 solution as well!

very cool thanks a lot for the codes :applause:

for those who have ordered, do they charge you as soon as you place the order? or does it try to pend you? or do they charge you once it ships?
I'm a bit short on my account right now till i deposit some more cash :p

[quote name='Gabrius']You must've read my mind - I was just thinking that I wanted to order one of these, but shipping is kinda ridiculous for a controller.... add a $5 discount to the mix and it became a no-brainer ^_^

Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

No problem. I had planned to as well. Thankfully I saw the codes. 1.00 less than retail including tax and shipping made the decision easy.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I just did the same thing you suggested 2 hours ago but used RAZERTHX as my 5 dollar off code.[/QUOTE]

Added to the OP. Thanks!

[quote name='kidrocklive']Are these really that good? I've always steered away from non 1st party controllers.[/QUOTE]

This is razer's first console peripheral, but they are fairly well known for the quality of their PC peripherals. Here is a video from Kotaku showing the controller in action. arCtiC has been beta testing the onza for about six months now.

http://kotaku.com/5728143/why-the-razer-onza-might-be-the-better-xbox-360-gamepad

[quote name='GoreObsessed']Ive been wanting one of these for a while I just dont know if I should get the normal or Tournament.. ANy suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The additional features that the tournament edition has is backlit buttons, rubberized texture and the ability to adjust the tension on the sticks. Here is a comparison.

onza-comparison.jpg

I guess the question is whether those additional features are worth $10 to you or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kidrocklive']Are these really that good? I've always steered away from non 1st party controllers.[/QUOTE]

Well these are pre-orders for an item that hasn't been released yet and so if there are any reviews there aren't many. I've seen a youtube video that was a quick short impression at a gaming con.

However, most of Razer's items are hailed and lauded by many of the PC gaming community so if anyone were to make an excellent 3rd party peripheral, it would be Razer.

[quote name='Beefyheart']very cool thanks a lot for the codes :applause:

for those who have ordered, do they charge you as soon as you place the order? or does it try to pend you? or do they charge you once it ships?
I'm a bit short on my account right now till i deposit some more cash :p[/QUOTE]

The amount was immediately deducted from my available credit on my Visa.

[quote name='egonpax']Well these are pre-orders for an item that hasn't been released yet and so if there are any reviews there aren't many. I've seen a youtube video that was a quick short impression at a gaming con.

However, most of Razer's items are hailed and lauded by many of the PC gaming community so if anyone were to make an excellent 3rd party peripheral, it would be Razer.[/QUOTE]

Most of Razer's items are low quality shit in general. The only item I've had any luck with with Razer is their BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard. I've been using it for the past 2 months and I love it, but I went through a Razer Lycosa before buying this one. The Lycosa stopped working 1 week after I got it. The Razer mice are also praised by many, but they don't last nearly as long as a mouse that price should. A Razer Deathadder ($50'ish) usually craps out after a year, or at least that's what I've heard from a lot of my friends that play Starcraft or do a lot of PC gaming. A Logitech MX518 blows any Razer mouse out of the water.

Razer is really hit and miss. I don't know what to say about their Xbox 360 controllers. They might be of good quality or they might not.

Too long, didn't read version: Razer's items are only praised because they are the most "stylish" items available on PC, but they are far from quality items with the exception of the BlackWidow. It seems like they made a full 180 on that one item.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Most of Razer's items are low quality shit in general. The only item I've had any luck with with Razer is their BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard. I've been using it for the past 2 months and I love it, but I went through a Razer Lycosa before buying this one. The Lycosa stopped working 1 week after I got it. The Razer mice are also praised by many, but they don't last nearly as long as a mouse that price should. A Razer Deathadder ($50'ish) usually craps out after a year, or at least that's what I've heard from a lot of my friends that play Starcraft or do a lot of PC gaming. A Logitech MX518 blows any Razer mouse out of the water.

Razer is really hit and miss. I don't know what to say about their Xbox 360 controllers. They might be of good quality or they might not.

Too long, didn't read version: Razer's items are only praised because they are the most "stylish" items available on PC, but they are far from quality items with the exception of the BlackWidow. It seems like they made a full 180 on that one item.[/QUOTE]

Dang really? I guess I've only read reviews of people who first get the item and not much about longevity of said item so thanks for the input.

I've always been a Logitech man and have 6 Logitech mice which most work perfectly, and only one "doesn't work." And that's because it's quite old and the li-on type batteries are now dead.

The only other issue that I've recently bumped into, that's software related, was using the MX500 or the G5 in Mac OSX. It just doesn't move the pointer right. It seems as though it "accelerates" my slow movements to be faster than they really are so precise movements are incredibly hard. I have a Logitech wireless laptop mouse that I use in Mac OSX and it works great. It's weird.

[quote name='Gabrius']The amount was immediately deducted from my available credit on my Visa.[/QUOTE]

ah damn thats brutal for something that doesnt come out for a month and a half :(

did anyone else who preordered know if they charged you immediately?

[quote name='DarkRider23']Most of Razer's items are low quality shit in general. The only item I've had any luck with with Razer is their BlackWidow Mechanical Keyboard. I've been using it for the past 2 months and I love it, but I went through a Razer Lycosa before buying this one. The Lycosa stopped working 1 week after I got it. The Razer mice are also praised by many, but they don't last nearly as long as a mouse that price should. A Razer Deathadder ($50'ish) usually craps out after a year, or at least that's what I've heard from a lot of my friends that play Starcraft or do a lot of PC gaming. A Logitech MX518 blows any Razer mouse out of the water.

Too long, didn't read version: Razer's items are only praised because they are the most "stylish" items available on PC, but they are far from quality items with the exception of the BlackWidow. It seems like they made a full 180 on that one item.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I've only owned one razer product (the Lachesis mouse), and I hated it. The design was nice overall, but quality wise it was terrible. The mouse would randomly "jump" on my screen every few minutes and nothing would fix this. It is a huge problem with the mouse and even after many firmware updates and other tweaks, the problem still exists for myself and many others. Instead of doing a recall (which they should have done), they just put the blame on the mouse pad that you use or come up with some other excuse. Funny as I have used 6 other mice on the same pad and none of them have problems. That product should have been taken off the market.

Sad thing is that I paid more for that mouse than any other mouse I have owned and yet it was the worst mouse I have ever used. My Logitech G9X I bought to replace it is a million times better.

I would honestly consider purchasing this controller as it looks awesome, but from my experience with the Lachesis, I won't touch another Razer product again. All show and no longevity.

I have had no problems with my DeathAdder. My Lycosa however randomly has keys crap out and i have to replug the keyboard in. I can't speak on the longevity of these items as I only got them in July for SC2. I really like my DeathAdder and my Lycosa is great when it works.

That said, these controllers look hot, but i will wait to get the Tournament version sub 40 bucks.

Thanks for the codes, i'm in for TE. Been waiting on this and was gonna order anyway so free shipping and $5 off is great! Wireless controllers stopped working on my 360 so I like that these are wired. Plus wired knocks off maybe a milisecond of lag lol! :)

I had an original Deathadder. It lasted 3.5 years and then it would cut out. I bought a Deathadder 3500 to replace it and it's still golden. That was about a year and a half ago. I bought a Naga since then and, though the first one had a squeaky wheel, the one I replaced it with works great.

A gaming mouse that I use day in, day out, for 3.5 years is pretty good. My Logitech MX518 didn't even last that long. It died quiet, miserable death after less than 2 years. Meanwhile, my MS Intellimouse 3 is still working and I bought it when they first came out.

I like my eXactmat I got for $20 for the metal frame. It keeps my hand cool.

Now, I did try Razer's audio solution (the real 5.1 headphones, not the simulated) and I found them to be... well, suck. For $130, they had horrible audio quality. In the end, I returned them and replaced them with an Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 I got for $30 more. Not 5.1, but the stage and sound quality are leagues above the Razer crap. Haven't gone back.

I think my biggest disappointment with Razer is the way they handled their new Nostromo gaming pad. It's a Belkin N52te with larger cache and new drivers. Instead of giving Belkin users (many of whom bought the N52te because it was "Powered by Razer") driver updates, too, they locked the drivers and firmware down to prevent the N52te from using the Nostromo drivers. Even though they are the same hardware. Same shape. Differences are the painted font on the keys, the option to turn the lights off via software, the palm-rest having a Razer logo instead of the word, "Belkin," and the option to store more profiles because of the larger flash storage built-in. The fact that the Nostromo is essentially the same hardware is obvious when you look on the bottom of it and find a switch to turn off the lights manually, something which just doesn't exist on any other Razer mouse or keyboard but exists in exactly the same config on the N52te.

Considering performance-wise so little has changed between the N52te that is being clearanced everywhere and the Nostromo which is being listed now as "new" and at $60-80, I think Razer would have done their users some good by supporting the old school as well as the new.

Instead, they're trying to get us all to go buy the same device with a different name to get driver support. This is in the face of the fact that one of the N52te's advantages was the fact its drivers were going to be updated by...

You guessed it!

...by Razer. They never were. Belkin hacked a few drivers together. That's what rankles me with regards to Razer. I've not had a problem with their mice any more than I've had with Microsoft or Logitech, though. I had a MS Mouse (old one, before Intellimouse) fail eventually, plus a wireless kb/m set that failed. Logitech made my original G15 that still works fine, but also made two wireless kb/m sets that failed plus the MX518 and its predecessor on another PC.

If you use your PC for gaming, hardware will die. It's just wear and tear. Razer's been no better or worse for this in my experience.

I love razer products. I've had button stickage etc on my old Deathadder but their 2year warranty is excellent. RMA'd send in just the moues and get back a NIB mouse.. perfect! DeathAdder, orochi, Naga and some mouse pads here. So I will vouch for razer's quality and products.

Man, this thing is DEAD SEXY!!!

I just cant justify getting one though, I already have 5 360 controllers. No way my wife would go for this. Maybe one of them will "accidentally" find its way into a bucket of water :)

Finished watching what I was watching and went to order but free shipping code doesn't work. WTF $10.55 for standard UPS.

EDIT:

Oh well like I said earlier I planned on buying it before this post... Actually been wanting a new controller and kept putting off waiting for this... The cheapass in me just hate knowing I missed a $10.55 coupon code. :D

Looks like they cancelled the free shipping code sometime later on Monday, as it worked when I placed an order earlier that afternoon.

My guess: the free shipping and $5 off codes weren't supposed to stack. Glad mine did!

Thanks, OP. I was looking for a new controller, so I hope these end up being high quality.

The only Razer product I own is an Orochi that I use when I travel, and I must say that it is an excellent mouse (I love the option of wired/bluetooth). As for the Onza, I have to give props to Razer for not including the n00btastic rapid fire feature that so many XBL gamers who suck at video games insist on modding their controllers for. But whatever, I'm mouse/keyboard for life, and if a hacker shows up, thats what the server browser is for. PC FTW!

I thought I could save on the shipping by going with USPS instead, but it's actually $3 more than UPS ground. $55 shipped seems a little steep for this, might have to wait and see if it hits BB so I can at least use some RZ coupons.

[quote name='Beefyheart']ah damn thats brutal for something that doesnt come out for a month and a half :(

did anyone else who preordered know if they charged you immediately?[/QUOTE]

Ordered last night nothing charged to my credit card. Maybe the card that got hit was a debit card?

[quote name='SportInjectionR']The only Razer product I own is an Orochi that I use when I travel, and I must say that it is an excellent mouse (I love the option of wired/bluetooth). As for the Onza, I have to give props to Razer for not including the n00btastic rapid fire feature that so many XBL gamers who suck at video games insist on modding their controllers for. But whatever, I'm mouse/keyboard for life, and if a hacker shows up, thats what the server browser is for. PC FTW![/QUOTE]

I tried the Orochi and while it was a pretty good mouse, I ended up returning it because it did not have sideways scrolling and the "bluetooth lag issue" was slightly more noticeable on that than the mouse I ended up with, the apple magic mouse. I got used to it but the short sleep time vs. the magic mouse was noticeable.

I don't really game on my macbook pro so to purchase a gaming mouse for my laptop was not the best solution. I need side scrolling more than I need high accuracy for general computing. I will, however, get the Razer mamba when I upgrade my PC as I am still using the original wireless intellimouse (must be ~7 years old by now). The nice thing about the Mamba is that it has the wird feature too so I can just use it wired on the laptop if I ever need a precision mouse.

I don't think I would go for this Onza since I don't have an issue with the 360 stock controllers. In fact I like them a lot both in appearance and handling. The wireless functionality is convenient too when your TV + console are across the room from your couch where you sit. Does anyone seriously have lag/delay issues with the standard wireless controllers? I have never, ever heard a single complaint about wireless delay on a 360 controller.

[quote name='$hady']Ordered last night nothing charged to my credit card. Maybe the card that got hit was a debit card?[/QUOTE]

I ordered with my credit card on Monday, and there has been a pending charge against my credit limit for the order since then, but I haven't yet been officially charged.

[quote name='Callandor']I ordered with my credit card on Monday, and there has been a pending charge against my credit limit for the order since then, but I haven't yet been officially charged.[/QUOTE]

Same here - and this was a credit, not a debit card.

Was really tempted to order one of these but since they've sold out of pre-orders I don't mind waiting. I was itching to get a Tron controller anyways so this helps my decision.

[quote name='Chardyll']Reaaallly tempted to pre-order from Amazon, but is this the kind of thing that is worth it to pre-order?[/QUOTE]

If you want it right away better to pre-order than wish you did amazon only charges you when they ship so you can cancel if you change your mind.

Thought the thread title read, "Panzer Orta pre-order". Almost crapped myself at the thought of a new Panzer Dragoon game before i read it correctly.

bread's done
Back