Rd 20: Zero Calorie trivia - win a DEW code!

joshingit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
246 (100%)
Since I can't win; I'm giving them away... First CAG to post the correct answer to the trivia question will be pm'd ONE Dew / Pepsi code. Trivia questions will be posted once a day at random times. I need fellow CAGs to pick their brains too, if I use your question and it goes unanswered for 24 hours, you'll receive the code.
Good luck smart asses!
Note: Most (99%) questions only have ONE answer; if there's another and is deemed correct another dew code will given i.e # 5.

# 20 - the internet is your friend.

Name any 7 (newsworthy good or bad) men who famously switched careers )(possibly mulitple times or just once) midstream. State their past and current careers.

# 15

Name the top (leading) four online reference sites used in 2003. In order from most to least used.

# 9 - I hate math...so today's is worth 2 codes. *Now worth 3 codes*

How many (more or fewer) possibilities does a typical mechanical lock have versus a combo lock? Closest noted estimation wins. Don't forget to show your work. ;)

*Hint: typical mechnical locks - used on vaults, masterlocks.... combo lock - they're usually 6 digits ranging from 0 - 9 + the # key.

:applause: Past Trivia and Winners:applause:

# 19 - winner djak1
Last seaon due to an oversight by the props master and directors, the set of 24 received an obscene amount of phone calls. Name who's (character) ringing phone and number which lead to this floodgate of chatter.

A: Phone number - 310-597-3781. It belonged to a minor character named "Debbie."

#18 - winner djak1
In a recent study it's estimated that everyday 'x' children skip school or pretend to be sick because of what? Find 'x' and state the problem.

A: 160,000 - bullying

# 17 - winner XxFuRy2Xx

Name the "lethal seven" most common bacterial and viral agents used in bioterror.

A:Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever | Nairovirus
Anthrax | Bacillus anthracis
Botulism | Clostridium botulinum
Glanders | Burkholderia mallei
Ebola | Filoviridae ebolavirus
Smallpox | Variola major
Typhoid fever | Salmonella typhi

# 16 - winner Lew Zealand
Name the 2004 -2005 television show and the digits that encouraged viewers to call to talk to cast and crew.

A: Scrubs, 1-916-CALL-TURK

# 14 - winner ajh2298
What inspired Salvador Dali to put the 'melting' watches in his celebrated 1931 painting, The Persistence of Memory?

A: In this picture the remains and super-softness of a Camembert cheese he saw after dinner when he stayed at home with migraine inspired him to paint the extraordinary soft watches

# 13 - winner RandomNPC
What (item) was banned from some US schools in the 1950's because it was thought to be (mean) rebellious / rebellion? Be very specific.

A: Levi's DENIM jeans

# 12 - winner ajh2298
Name the 5 approaches used to define the conceptualiztions of deviance.

A: 1. Absolutist Approach
2. Legalistic Approach
3. Reactive Approach
4. Group Evaluation Approach
5. A Synthetic Approach

# 11 - winner Mike Romano
Name the two most popular posthumous pop artists ever. Include the album title too.

A: Notorious B.I.G : Life after Death - 10 million
Tupac Shakur: 2Pac's Greatest Hits - 9 million

# 10 -winner djak1
Name three of the five former Air Force bases that were under investigation for possible buried radiological waste in 2003.

A: March Air Force Base in Riverside, CA;
Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth, NH;
Carswell Air Force Base in Fort Worth, TX.

# 8 - winner Autumn star
12 year old females can legally marry (pending approval from a judge and the parents consent) in which TWO states?

A: KS and MA

# 7 - winner YoshiFan1
Name the piece of food made up entirely of seeds?

A: Strawberries

# 6 – winner Twiztidgear
Name the company and the product first to use a pink bunny in their ads.

A: Duracell battery, 1974- they were the first battery maker to advertise on TV. Ad featured pink bunnies with snare drums. 1989 - DDB Needham’s Energizer bunny campaign marched on to TV. (which is now considered one of the top 5 ad icons in the 20th century….)

# 5 – winners Mietha and Maddfrog
While in the Marines Lee Harvey Oswald was given 3 nicknames. Name em.

A: Ozzie Rabbit – popular cartoon character.

Oswaldskovich – leftist learning and obsession with the Russian language

Shitbird – for his poor marksmanship

# 4- winner Eurenix
In 2003 the CIA solicited a celebrity to appear in their recruiting video. The CIA film industry liaison claiming, “his/her participation would add a human touch”. Who was it?

A: Alias Star Jennifer Garner

# 3 – winner TripleH13
What are the names of the Original fab 5 for Queer Eye?

A: Blair Boone, Carson Kressley, Kyan Douglas, Ted Allen and Thom Filicia

# 2 – winner djak1
In 2003, China banned the commercials of 3 types of products, stating “(they) were likely to disgust audiences” during meal times. Name the 3 types of products.

A: Hemorrhoid medicine, athlete’s-foot ointments and feminine-hygiene products (sanitary napkins)

# 1 – winner Astinus
Who was the FBI deputy directory from 1999 – 2001?

A: Thomas J Pickard who later that year became the FBI acting director.

# 14

"Three Separate Melting Watch images even out the foreground of the work. The melting watches are one symbol that is commonly associated with Salvador Dalí's Surrealism. They are literally meant to show the irrelevance of time.
When Dalí was alone with Gala and his paintings in Cape Creus, he felt that time had little, perhaps no significance for him. His days were spent eating, painting, making love, and anything else he wanted to do. The warm, summery days seemed to fly by without any real indication of having passed.
One hot August afternoon, in 1931, as Dalí sat at his work bench nibbling at his lunch, he came upon one of his most stunning paranoiac-critical hallucinations.

Upon taking a pencil, and sliding it under a bit of Camembert cheese, which had become softer and runnier than usual in the summer heat, Dalí was inspired with the idea for the melting watches. They appear often throughout Dalí's works, and are the subject of much interest. In short, this particular work, is an important referral back to Dalí's Catalan Heritage, that was so very important to him."

AIDSInfo, American Presidents: Life Portraits, American Memory: Historical Collections for the National Digital Library, AskART.

[quote name='jPoD15']Was i closest as in highest or actually near the answer? LOL[/QUOTE]

Closest to the correct answer...

Codes for # 9, 15 are still up for grabs.

# 16 is up.

Bacillus anthracis - Anthrax
Yersinia pestis - Plague
Francisella tularensis - Tularemia
Vibrio cholerae - Cholera
Clostridium botulinum - Botulin
Salmonella
Ebola

Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever | Nairovirus
Smallpox | Variola major
Typhoid fever | Salmonella typhi

CDC states there is aprx. 3.4 million head related injuries yearly in the U.S.

20% are from professional sports.

Approximately 62,800 concussions occur among our High School athletes.

numbers on a combo lock 60 x 60 x60 (the 3 different #'s) = 216,000

10 number combo lock. #0-9 = 10 so 1,000,000 posibilities.

1,000,000 - 216,000 = 784,000 less

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']#17

Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever | Nairovirus
Smallpox | Variola major
Typhoid fever | Salmonella typhi[/QUOTE]

You have a PM!

# 9 is now worth 3

# 15 and 16 have yet to be answered correctly.

# 18 is up and is a 2 part question - hence the 2 code value.

# 18

Estimations are that 160,000 skip school or pretend to be sick because of the fear of being bullied by other students.

[quote name='Deadpool']Lol so the CDC is wrong?![/QUOTE]

Thats what I started noticing with these questions, some of them all depend on what source you get the information from.

For example on question 16, I found a website on head injuries that said it there were 2 million, but it was wrong. It's the internet, any of us can go to any ol' site and get information that they claim it to be right.

[quote name='Deadpool']I know. I was just bitching because i'd figure the Centers For Disease Control would be a pretty reliable source. :D[/QUOTE]

Oh, I wasn't saying you were wrong about anything. My complant was towards the OP about the answers. I would also think that the CDC would know health issues, but not according to the OP and wherever they got the answer from.

A "typical mechnical lock" is a pin tumbler lock, which has only one possibility for lining up all tumblers when it's set.

A 6-digit combo lock with numbers 0-9 has 1,000,000 possibilities (10^6).

Therefore, the "typical mechanical lock" has 999,999 less possibilities.

[quote name='clariste']#9

A "typical mechnical lock" is a pin tumbler lock, which has only one possibility for lining up all tumblers when it's set.

[/QUOTE]

Well if you want to look at it that way, then they both only have 1 possibility.

[quote name='Deadpool']Well if you want to look at it that way, then they both only have 1 possibility.[/QUOTE]

Ok, then the pin tumbler lock has infinite possibilities. The chambers can be bored to infinite fractions of an inch, cm, mm, whatever, to be set up.

[quote name='djak1']# 18

Estimations are that 160,000 skip school or pretend to be sick because of the fear of being bullied by other students.[/QUOTE]

PM'd

Remaining:

# 9
# 15
# 16 was scrubbed and has been replaced
# 19 is up

Phone number - 310-597-3781. It belonged to a minor character named "Debbie."
This phone number was repeated in the episode where Jack attempts to recover the nuclear football; he gives his cell number to a man and his wife fleeing from Marwan.

In an interview on The Charlie Rose Show dated 5/20/2005, this was revealed to be an accident: the phone actually belonged to a member of the staff, and was not meant to be seen.

# 9 - I hate math...so today's is worth 2 codes. *Now worth 3 codes*

How many (more or fewer) possibilities does a typical mechanical lock have versus a combo lock? Closest noted estimation wins. Don't forget to show your work.

*Hint: typical mechnical locks - used on vaults, masterlocks.... combo lock - they're usually 6 digits ranging from 0 - 9 + the # key.

Combo lock
Each number, ranging from 0 to 9, can be used in all 6 digits, so...
10^6 = 1,000,000

Mechanical lock
Depends on the total number of digits on the lock. Assuming you have digits 0 to 39 (40 total digits), and the lock uses a combination of 3 numbers, then you have 40^3 = 64000 possible combinations.

Sorry, edited.

Answer: 24 (Show)
Phone number: 310-597-3781

Probably wrong, but when the number first appeared on 24, the Production Designer, Joseph Hodges said that the Director Jon Cassar came up with the idea for the "fan phone" because the two of them often got bored scouting new shooting locations and wanted a chance to interact with the audience. There is an estimation that 80,00 calls were received within a week.

Probably wrong, but it worth a shot! :D

[quote name='tickdude']# 9 - I hate math...so today's is worth 2 codes. *Now worth 3 codes*

How many (more or fewer) possibilities does a typical mechanical lock have versus a combo lock? Closest noted estimation wins. Don't forget to show your work.

Combo lock
Each number, ranging from 0 to 9, can be used in all 6 digits, so...
10^6 = 1,000,000

Mechanical lock
Depends on the total number of digits on the lock. Assuming you have digits 0 to 39 (40 total digits), and the lock uses a combination of 3 numbers, then you have 40^3 = 64000 possible combinations.

Sorry, edited.[/QUOTE]

Combo lock...if you can use the # key, then
Each number, ranging from 0 to 9 (and #), can be used in all 6 digits, so...
11^6 = 1,771,561

Of course, the mechanical lock I am assuming you can reuse the same number (for example: 0 - 0 - 1 or 20 - 30 - 20). If the lock doesn't allow the same numbers to be used, then the possible combinations is 40 * 39 * 38 = 59,280.

[quote name='tickdude']Combo lock...if you can use the # key, then
Each number, ranging from 0 to 9 (and #), can be used in all 6 digits, so...
11^6 = 1,771,561

Of course, the mechanical lock I am assuming you can reuse the same number (for example: 0 - 0 - 1 or 20 - 30 - 20). If the lock doesn't allow the same numbers to be used, then the possible combinations is 40 * 39 * 38 = 59,280.[/QUOTE]

Taking another shot at this question:

11^6 = 1,771,561 (combo lock).

Mechanical lock: assume that it will allow you to reuse the first and third digit, but not the second (such that 36-24-36 -- wonder where I got that example -- is a legit code).

40 * 39 * 39 = 60,840

The mechanical lock has ~ 1,710,721 fewer combinations than the combo lock.

(Apologies if it's been done before....I don't really feel like checking anymore.)

#16- SCRUBS based a big gag around Turk's new cell phone number, which turned out to be a legit cell phone on the set. 916-CALL-TURK (916-225-5887) was the number. You didn't need to dial the K.

[quote name='Lew Zealand']#16- SCRUBS based a big gag around Turk's new cell phone number, which turned out to be a legit cell phone on the set. 916-CALL-TURK (916-225-5887) was the number. You didn't need to dial the K.[/QUOTE]

You and djak1 have a PM!

# 20 is up!

# 9 and 15 - are ????

#20 - Present careers listed first:

1 - Vince McMahon - WWE CEO vs. Pro-Wrestler
2 - Phil Simms - CBS Sports Commentator vs. NFL Player
3 - Shannon Sharpe - CBS Sports Commentator vs. NFL Player
4 - Ron Howard - Movie Director vs. Actor
5 - Jesse Ventura - State Governor vs. Pro-Wrestler
6 - Dan Marino - CBS Sports Commentator vs. NFL Player
7 - Arnold Schwarzenegger - State Governor vs. Actor

Do you think you could rewrite question #9? I think most anyone, especially a math or engineering student would tell you that it's too ambiguous. Perhaps there's some "catch" or "trick" that I'm not seeing, and I don't mean to insult you, but this just seems like a poorly written question to me. Maybe when the answer is revealed, I'll just looks stupid, but here are the problems I see with it.

How many (more or fewer) possibilities does a typical mechanical lock have versus a combo lock? Closest noted estimation wins. Don't forget to show your work. ;)

First of all, both of your names for locks don't have a clear definition? "Combo lock"? Wouldn't that be any kind of lock that requires some kind of combination of symbols (such as numbers) to unlock? That could be a mechanical lock or an electrical one. It could be the 3-digit lock ona brief case, a mechanical lock where you turn a dial, or numerical keypad that unlocks your garage door. Okay, so you seem to give a definition for what you're calling a combo lock: "combo lock - they're usually 6 digits ranging from 0 - 9 + the # key" First of all, saying "usually" doesn't cut it. This is a mathematical question. The number of possibilities would be significantly different if there were 5 digits or 7 digits in the combination. Also, I've never seen a keypad that has the numbers 0-9 and the # key (11 characters), but no * key. The keypad you described would be pretty unusual.

Also, the term mechanical lock simply means that the method by which the lock locks and unlocks is mechanical. That could be a lock that requires a key, a combination of turns on a numbered dial, or again, the kind of lock you'd find on a brief case. Most people think you meant the kind of lock that has a numbered dial that requires a specific combination of turns to unlock. Again, you're too ambiguous here. The amount of different numbers on the dial greatly affects the possible number of combinations. Like I said in my earlier post, I've seen dials that have only twenty numbers, and dials that have a hundred numbers, in addition to the fact that there are locks that require a different amount of turns in the combination. However, the most common mechanical combination locks seem to be the dial kind that have the numbers 0-39 and with three of those numbers in the combination.

Again, maybe I'm just stupid and overcomplicating things, but it seems to me that your question is way too ambiguous. Also, your question stated, "Closest noted estimation wins." So who was the closest?

# 15

Name the top (leading) four online reference sites used in 2003. In order from most to least used.

Encyclopaedia Britannica Online ---- (Most used)
Oxford English Dictionary
Grove dictionary of music and musicians
Oxford Reference Online ---- (Fourth most used)

This answer is similar, but a little different from the answer clariste posted last week.

bread's done
Back