RE4 spolier free thread

I got the game on Wed. and Ive been working so much I havent been able to play much. Ive only gotten to chapter 1-2 so far but later today I'm looking forward to going a bit further. I expected this game to be good but never expected it to be THIS good. The first time I entered the village and the villagers started plotting on me I realized how good the game was. Every part of that chapter was tension filled from when you see the guard getting barbecued up until you hear the sweet yet sadistic purr of that chainsaw. And I have to give it to the A.I. I thought I could hide out atop the tower but they starting throwing molotovs at the it. If there were any 2 words in the dictionary to explain this game it would be Absolutely Phenomenal. Also on a side note is it just me or do the villagers say "mierda" every 5 seconds

[quote name='rawisjericho'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='AdamInPlaidum'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='coolz481']I played up through the end of chapter 1-3 having died only twice, but I felt like I had used up too much specialty ammo like my hand grenades, so I started over.

Is anyone else having difficulty shaking the instinct (created by years of playing the RE series) to conserve as much ammo as possible even though the villagers in RE4 seem to drop some whenever you're running low?[/quote]

there is no need to conserve ammo. I always have too much ammo.

and if you want to maintain high amounts, shooting them in the knees and slicing with the knife is highly effective[/quote]

There's certainly no need to conserve handgun ammp. Shotgun shells, however, those I use a bit more sparingly. If I've got a lot of people on me I knock them down with the shotgun and pop a round of rifle bullets into them.[/quote]

no need to conserve shotgun ammo. Rifle ammo is the only one I tend to run low on.

I think I have 70 shotgun shells on me right now[/quote]

The shotgun is my main weapon, so I usually run very low on ammo. I just have two handguns and the shotgun. Should I get a rifle and a scope, or the uzi type gun?[/quote]

rifle is much more important than the TMP

[quote name='CaseyRyback']rifle is much more important than the TMP[/quote]

Yeah... if you have time and range... the rifle pops villagers heads like a pimple.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Most of the trailers/ promos/cover of the game show Leon with his brown leather jacket. Early on in the game he disrobes of his jacket. Without saying, when, how, or under what circumstances, does Leon ever get the jacket back. Just "yes" or "no" would do well.

Because really that is one fine looking jacket![/quote]

No.

[quote name='legion_stxds'][quote name='coolz481']I played up through the end of chapter 1-3 having died only twice, but I felt like I had used up too much specialty ammo like my hand grenades, so I started over.

Is anyone else having difficulty shaking the instinct (created by years of playing the RE series) to conserve as much ammo as possible even though the villagers in RE4 seem to drop some whenever you're running low?[/quote]

I kinda conserve ammo... I noticed that the item placement/spawn from breaking boxes is random, so you can't count on the ammo always being there... plus... I am a horrible aim (yeah... even though there is that laser guide... I just miss alot... :x ) I have been learning to try to shoot people in the legs to slow them down... then combo out with another weapon (ie: gernades or shotgun for multiple hits).

Question: Anyone else feel like we were given a butter knife on this mission? ( Besides using it to open stuff I suck at using this thing! )[/quote]

To me, its a box/barrel opener....and those damn snakes...

[quote name='Scorch']Oh, and there's two things around the beginning of the town. You'll see a well with a thing shining above it. Shoot out the wood, then shoot the shiny thing. One is a pocketwatch, one is.. something else, I forgot, but they sell for $10,000 each. Comes in handy later on.[/quote]

Make sure you hit the wood first, otherwise it drops in the poopy water and only goes for $1000

[quote name='Wshakspear'][quote name='legion_stxds'][quote name='coolz481']I played up through the end of chapter 1-3 having died only twice, but I felt like I had used up too much specialty ammo like my hand grenades, so I started over.

I kinda conserve ammo... I noticed that the item placement/spawn from breaking boxes is random, so you can't count on the ammo always being there... plus... I am a horrible aim (yeah... even though there is that laser guide... I just miss alot... :x ) I have been learning to try to shoot people in the legs to slow them down... then combo out with another weapon (ie: gernades or shotgun for multiple hits).

Question: Anyone else feel like we were given a butter knife on this mission? ( Besides using it to open stuff I suck at using this thing! )[/quote]

To me, its a box/barrel opener....and those damn snakes...[/quote]

I agree. The use of the knife is extremely limited. I wish you could pick up the pitchforks or maybe hatchets the villagers throw and throw it right back at them.

[quote name='KrazyKefka'][quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Most of the trailers/ promos/cover of the game show Leon with his brown leather jacket. Early on in the game he disrobes of his jacket. Without saying, when, how, or under what circumstances, does Leon ever get the jacket back. Just "yes" or "no" would do well.

Because really that is one fine looking jacket![/quote]

No.[/quote]

Ah.. too bad. But on the other hand it's pretty cool that most of the trailer footage and promos are only showing us stuff from early on in the game. I was worried that most of the game would be ruined from watching those.

And at least Leon still has that badass 1930s haircut.

I use the knife a lot. Very effective when surounded by zombies, because you can shoot them in the knee and take them down with the knife, and you only waste one bullet

saves you from reloading a lot.

In the very beginning when you check the fire it says there is something in the fire, is there any way to put out the fire and get the item?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I use the knife a lot. Very effective when surounded by zombies, because you can shoot them in the knee and take them down with the knife, and you only waste one bullet

saves you from reloading a lot.[/quote]

I agree. I actually found the knife very useful. I did a lot of kneecap shooting and slashing while they were on the ground. Another good use I found for it was when an enemy got too close, a slash to the face to knock them off balance and then kick them away. My favorite use for the knife is to use it on enemies climbing up the ladder. One after another, up the ladder to get a knife in the head, just to get up and try again. I've never really used the knife in any of the RE games, but I found the knife in this to be very versatile, and being able to use it with a push of the L button makes it even better.

EDIT: Another great use for the knife: the next to last boss fight. Someone had mentioned using it on Gamefaqs, so I went back and tried it and it's damn effective. Saved me a ton of ammo.

[quote name='smalien1']In the very beginning when you check the fire it says there is something in the fire, is there any way to put out the fire and get the item?[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I just gave up and moved on, but it still sort of bothered me.

I just finished the game about half an hour ago. I have to say that I was pretty pleased throughout.

Have a couple of questions have just got to the castle, and I was wondering how much I have left, I never want this game to end. Also are the unlockables good(I don't want to know what they are) I'm very interested but am going to pissed if the unlockables suck.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']This is def. one of the best games I have ever played. The end to the game was amazing, and next time I will not die near as much. I thought the sprays and magnum bullets were going to be rare like in previous RE's and while they are found sparingly they are not all that rare

and I love the name of the magnum you get later on. I cannot wait for that game to finally arrive[/quote]

yeah that was pretty clever of capcom to name the magnum after one of their games

[quote name='tenzor'][quote name='CaseyRyback']This is def. one of the best games I have ever played. The end to the game was amazing, and next time I will not die near as much. I thought the sprays and magnum bullets were going to be rare like in previous RE's and while they are found sparingly they are not all that rare

and I love the name of the magnum you get later on. I cannot wait for that game to finally arrive[/quote]

yeah that was pretty clever of capcom to name the magnum after one of their games[/quote]

yea it was.

I went back and deleted my post thinking it might contain a spoiler, but I think it is fine.

If anyone feels different please tell me. I do not want to ruin anyone's game

The game is awesome, but are the spinels and the beer keg OK to sell or are they vital? I tryed combining them but no dice.

If spinels are important later on just say I shouldn't' sell them

[quote name='smalien1']The game is awesome, but are the spinels and the beer keg OK to sell or are they vital? I tryed combining them but no dice.

If spinels are important later on just say I shouldn't' sell them[/quote]

If you can sell it it's not important. The things on the top row in the treasure submenu you can't sell even if you wanted too. So no worrys go ahead and sell.

Just a quick question. I just met my first Chainsaw guy and I had to pump over a half a dozen shotgun shots into his head to take him down. But the thing is, his body didn't disappear like the other villagers. He's not going to come back to life is he?

[quote name='dcfox']Just a quick question. I just met my first Chainsaw guy and I had to pump over a half a dozen shotgun shots into his head to take him down. But the thing is, his body didn't disappear like the other villagers. He's not going to come back to life is he?[/quote]

no. Main enemies like him do not disappear

Wait huh? Chainsaw dudes alway dissapear when I kill them... I should know, after my first loss to one the last thing I'd want to do is go near them, even after I presumably kill them.

The treasures like the Beer stein need jewel plugged into them, it raises their value so you can sell them for more and get more cash.

[quote name='smalien1']The game is awesome, but are the spinels and the beer keg OK to sell or are they vital? I tryed combining them but no dice.

If spinels are important later on just say I shouldn't' sell them[/quote]

Check the description of the item, if it says it looks like it fits in something, or something fits in it, then there are items you can combine it with. Things like spinels, pocket watches, etc. can be sold...

[quote name='Alpha2']Wait huh? Chainsaw dudes alway dissapear when I kill them... I should know, after my first loss to one the last thing I'd want to do is go near them, even after I presumably kill them.

The treasures like the Beer stein need jewel plugged into them, it raises their value so you can sell them for more and get more cash.[/quote]

Not always true, at points they do dissapear but sometimes they don't.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I use the knife a lot. Very effective when surounded by zombies, because you can shoot them in the knee and take them down with the knife, and you only waste one bullet

saves you from reloading a lot.[/quote]

Awesome... I didn't think of that! I will give it a go... wish me luck... I am going to probally have my a$$ beaten a couple times before I get the hang ot it... lol

EDIT: Had my first decapitation... yay!

While I am liking HL2 and MGS3 more, RE4 is truly going to be one of the best games this year.

I have noticed buggy AI that kind of ruined the experience, and some of the voice acting isn't up to par with voice acting in other games.

I was hoping that this game would be scary, but it's really not, but it's a whole lot of fun blowing off people's heads!:twisted:

I have a feeling this game will easily get a 9 from me, totally worth the wait, but, like all games, is not perfect.

just started playing the game yesterday, f'in so awesome. Its f'in GTA X100.

The gameplay is so intensive! This is the first REAL survival horror game. I had to retry a buncha times cuz those mobs kept killing me as well as the bosses.

I was suprised to have beaten the two bosses from the trailer so early on, i'm only like 5 hours in. WHATS NEXT? (dont answer that) but how about what u think of the next bosses?

I'm uber addicted, but i just stopped playing cuz i wanna play it sparingly, don't want it to go by too fast, right? (turns on the GC)

Finally got to this game last night and found myself still up at 3am and just got to chapter 1-3. Decided it was finally time to shut it off after falling victim to the chainsaw dude.
The only annoying part (unless I'm missing something) is that you have to walk through the entire game. You can't run through parts you cleared or away from enemies when you get badly outnumbered.
Despite that this is still one of the best games I've ever played on the Cube. Its been a long time since I found a myself looking forward to playing a game more the next day after I shut it off.

[quote name='smartasien']just started playing the game yesterday, f'in so awesome. Its f'in GTA X100.

The gameplay is so intensive! This is the first REAL survival horror game. I had to retry a buncha times cuz those mobs kept killing me as well as the bosses.

I was suprised to have beaten the two bosses from the trailer so early on, i'm only like 5 hours in. WHATS NEXT? (dont answer that) but how about what u think of the next bosses?

I'm uber addicted, but i just stopped playing cuz i wanna play it sparingly, don't want it to go by too fast, right? (turns on the GC)[/quote]

The next major boss fights are pretty easy, with the exception of a few (for me anyways). If you had a rough time with the first two bosses then your going to have a hell of time with the next ones. If you didn't have any major problems, well except the difficulty to go up a notch. Also, Your going to have a blast with the bosses, I know I did. It's not like in past RE's where the boss fights were a chore this game makes the boss fights fun, at least for me anyways.

[quote name='johnnyoski']Finally got to this game last night and found myself still up at 3am and just got to chapter 1-3. Decided it was finally time to shut it off after falling victim to the chainsaw dude.
The only annoying part (unless I'm missing something) is that you have to walk through the entire game. You can't run through parts you cleared or away from enemies when you get badly outnumbered.
Despite that this is still one of the best games I've ever played on the Cube. Its been a long time since I found a myself looking forward to playing a game more the next day after I shut it off.[/quote]

Walk through the entire game? I have no problems running away from mobs of enemies, you have to make sure you don't put yourself in a positon where you get circled around by enemies,even then running through them isn't an issue, you'll get mawled but I've run my way through a mob of enemines with out problems. Best way to escape from a mob is to go blast them close range with a shotgun, this will kill or at least knock them on there ass, then you can run. I don't really get what you mean you can't run through the parts you cleared.

Is there a chapter select option once you beat the game? There are some great spots I'd love to be able to play through at any time.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Is there a chapter select option once you beat the game? There are some great spots I'd love to be able to play through at any time.[/quote]

I wish, but nope.

The only two spanish things I understand are 'detras de ti' which I think means 'after him' and mierda which is either shit or dead

[quote name='smalien1']The only two spanish things I understand are 'detras de ti' which I think means 'after him' and mierda which is either shit or dead[/quote]

Detras de Ti means- Behind you!
Mierda means - Shit
detrás de se imbicle - Behind you imbicel!
morir es vivir - To die is to Live (this is what monks chant in the castle)
Allí estas! - There he is!
Le cortaré en pequeños pedazos - I will cut you into little pieces
Cójalo! - Get Him!
que Voy a matarle - I will kill you!
In the House: What the hell are you doing here, GET LOST BASTARD!!

Hmm that's all I can think off the top of my head (yeah i'm spanish). Anything else feel free to ask.

[quote name='sisco1986']Walk through the entire game? I have no problems running away from mobs of enemies, you have to make sure you don't put yourself in a positon where you get circled around by enemies,even then running through them isn't an issue, you'll get mawled but I've run my way through a mob of enemines with out problems. Best way to escape from a mob is to go blast them close range with a shotgun, this will kill or at least knock them on there ass, then you can run. I don't really get what you mean you can't run through the parts you cleared.[/quote]

Never mind....I'm just a shaq-fuing idiot. Don't know why I didn't try the B button.

I absolutely love this game, but did anyone get scared? I was disappointed that I didn't get freaked out or anything.

[quote name='Nephets']I absolutely love this game, but did anyone get scared? I was disappointed that I didn't get freaked out or anything.[/quote]

What? Obviously you've never had chainsaw guy sneak up behind you and slice your head clean off.

[quote name='Scorch']

Yeah, I laughed at the guy with the chainsaw.. until I turned around and he started grinding his chainsaw into my neck and.. pop. I never laughed again.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I was running around after he came out and I stopped at a crate to pick up some ammo and he just sneaks up right behind me and I was just like "holy shit" and jumped back in my chair.

I've had a few jumpy moments, and a few points of just that creepy "I know somethings there, and i cant see it" thing. Especially the sewer...eeep.

Hmm, not sure why I posted a very similar comment to one I had earlier posted in the same thread. Does that count as a double post or what?

[quote name='Wshakspear']I've had a few jumpy moments, and a few points of just that creepy "I know somethings there, and i cant see it" thing. Especially the sewer...eeep.[/quote]

The creepy music really heightens the tension in moments like that. But the worst feeling for me is having a ton of villagers advance on you while your reloading. I've never felt more helpless in my life.

I get REALLY startled, not so much scared as knowing someone is going to pop out but I don't know when. More of a surprise factor, but yes this game is creepy because of that.

Odd, I never got scared one bit at the game, it was cool and CREEPY at times, but I knew when things were coming long before they were going to happen, it seems, and no, no chainsaw welding maniac ever suck up on me because I could hear that loud noise and knew not to turn my back on it. :p

Great game, but not very scary or hard, I would give it a 9.6 or 9.7 though. :p

Every time I went to reload I ran far away from them, because the AI walks a lot whenever you're really far away.

The so-called "revolutionary" AI RE4 was talking about really wasn't that good, so, they can climb up after you, and they move ever so slightly away from your laser aim, but, the AI wasn't that great. I've had moments where I'm right infront of an enemy and they turn and run into a wall.

It's not bad by any means, but with the huge hype of how this game would forever change vidoe games, it left me in a state of confusion and realization that this game is just RE with a new control scheme, and the enemies are basically zombies with depth perception.

It wouldn't be an RE game without pushing objects onto switches on the ground.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl'][quote name='Nephets']this game is just RE with a new control scheme[/quote]

The real difference it the camera system.[/quote]

That's what I meant, used the wrong term, sorry. :p

The so-called "revolutionary" AI RE4 was talking about really wasn't that good

When the hell did they say anything about revolutionary AI in RE4? As far as I know, the only thing "revolutionary" that was promoted were the graphics. You can only have so much AI when you have half-dead/controlled people running around.

It's been hyped for a while about how advanced and intelligent the AI system would be in the game. Read the back of the box, even "cunning enemies use their abilities to attack the player en masse".

You people are seeming to think I am flaming the game, when I actually am not, every game I've ever played I've also complained about as well as praised, nothing I've played this far has been perfect, I'm just getting some flaws out there for some people who may actually be disappointed and dislike the game with all the mega hype it's receiving (mostly online). Someone is bound to not like the game like we do, so, we should talk about the flaws as well as the good.

I never said you were complaining. I just asked. I thought the AI was pretty good, how they warn, and mostly attack in groups. Not revolutionary by any means, but a step up from the mindless zombies.

Yeah, I'll admit, it's better than a lot of the AI in other games, but, it's not as good as I'd thought it'd be.

The group altering as cool, I'll admit to that as well.

I figured the AI would do more things other than climb the stairs after you, once you see it, it's like "that's awesome", then, after you shoot it, then he climbs up again, then you shoot him, then he climbs up... again. It sort of ruins a possible great AI system.

I thought, based on what was hyped and told, that this AI would never leave you alone, that you are always on alert for these enemies that'll attack you right when they see you with relentlessness, but, I've noticed lots of parts that you can just walk about 7 feet from them and they'll still stand there.

Now I'm complaining, but, eh, I guess I was disappointed by that because of what I was told, but after I went on, the experience is better than anything else. The actual gameplay is not so innovative, but, it just draws you in with everything. Not much of the game is an innovation, but it's just a really good game to play and have fun with, plus, the graphics are great.

bread's done
Back