Reacting to online biggotry

Xav De Matos spoke well on this subject in an X3F podcast a while ago.

The best thing one could do is, as Dmaul said, file a complaint. Neglecting to report those idiots does nothing to help fix the problem.

"By now it’s sadly common experience, hearing racist, homophobic, even anti-Semitic slurs during online games."

Even anti-Semitic? What makes those slurs so much worse than other slurs? I'm offended.

Thats what turned me off about xbox live to start with. So many people talking, and If it wasn't something really stupid it was something really hateful. At least it isn't always like that. It just sometimes was. I rather play with people from Cag or friends when I play on live.

This is the reason I like to be the host of games, especially ones that you can kick people from. I remember when we CAGs would get together for R6:Vegas, we had a couple times when outsiders would come in and just be dicks .... I kicked 'em every time.

I would tend to agree though, file complaints and hopefully MS will take care of them.

I have XBL on global mute, so that doesn't bother me.

For PC games, I just ignore it. Most likely someone else will give the biggot a verbal beatdown anyway.

Great read, they should have more articles like that on Kotaku. I've met countless of these jerks online, and I personally ignore them. It's sad when they use all these hateful remarks just to make them feel like they have bigger dicks. Very insecure.

Just email LIVE and tell them you overheard them talking about playing online with a hacked console or something that concenns Xbox losing money. Someone at Microsoft might actually give a shit about that and look into it. Or do what I do and don't use a headset unless you're playing with friends.

[quote name='TC'] Or do what I do and don't use a headset unless you're playing with friends.[/QUOTE]

There's also a way to set the voice so you only hear people on your friends list. I forget how, but I think there's a thread on CAG about it.

[quote name='Jobb']"By now it’s sadly common experience, hearing racist, homophobic, even anti-Semitic slurs during online games."

Even anti-Semitic? What makes those slurs so much worse than other slurs? I'm offended.[/QUOTE]

Typical media Jew-bias.

[quote name='Jobb']
Even anti-Semitic? What makes those slurs so much worse than other slurs? I'm offended.[/quote]
I think it's not that it's "worse" so much as it is that it's less expected and rarer in the real world.

I was playing Uno the other day and some ass was swearing and the like. I started barking like a dog. He got way pissed and just stopped talking.

[quote name='eswat']I have XBL on global mute, so that doesn't bother me.
.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I haven't had to listen to a single person that isn't on my friends list in over a year. The tools are there, people choose to ignore them and choose to listen to the nonsense and bitch about it instead.

bread's done
Back