Reading Rainbow ends its 26-year run

Purple Flames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112312561

August 28, 2009 Even if you can't remember a specific Reading Rainbow episode, chances are, the theme song is still lodged somewhere in your head:
Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high,
Take a look, it's in a book — Reading Rainbow ...
Remember now?

Reading Rainbow
comes to the end of its 26-year run on Friday; it has won more than two-dozen Emmys, and is the third longest-running children's show in PBS history — outlasted only by Sesame Street and Mister Rogers.
The show, which started in 1983, was hosted by actor LeVar Burton. (If you don't know Burton from Reading Rainbow, he's also famous for his role as Kunta Kinte in Roots, or as the chrome-visored Geordi La Forge on Star Trek: The Next Generation.)
Each episode of Reading Rainbow had the same basic elements: There was a featured children's book that inspired an adventure with Burton. Then, at the end of every show, kids gave their own book reviews, always prefaced by Burton's trademark line: "But you don't have to take my word for it ..."
"The series resonates with so many people," says John Grant, who is in charge of content at WNED Buffalo, Reading Rainbow's home station.

"I think reading is part of the birthright of the human being," Burton said in a 2003 interview. "It's just such an integral part of the human experience — that connection with the written word."

GPN/Nebraska ETV Network and WNED Buffalo."I think reading is part of the birthright of the human being," Burton said in a 2003 interview. "It's just such an integral part of the human experience — that connection with the written word."

The show's run is ending, Grant explains, because no one — not the station, not PBS, not the Corporation for Public Broadcasting — will put up the several hundred thousand dollars needed to renew the show's broadcast rights.

Grant says the funding crunch is partially to blame, but the decision to end Reading Rainbow can also be traced to a shift in the philosophy of educational television programming. The change started with the Department of Education under the Bush administration, he explains, which wanted to see a much heavier focus on the basic tools of reading — like phonics and spelling.

Grant says that PBS, CPB and the Department of Education put significant funding toward programming that would teach kids how to read — but that's not what Reading Rainbow was trying to do.
"Reading Rainbow taught kids why to read," Grant says. "You know, the love of reading — [the show] encouraged kids to pick up a book and to read."

Linda Simensky, vice president for children's programming at PBS, says that when Reading Rainbow was developed in the early 1980s, it was an era when the question was: "How do we get kids to read books?"
Since then, she explains, research has shown that teaching the mechanics of reading should be the network's priority.
"We've been able to identify the earliest steps that we need to take," Simensky says. "Now we know what we need to do first. Even just from five years ago, I think we all know so much more about how to use television to teach."

Research has directed programming toward phonics and reading fundamentals as the front line of the literacy fight. Reading Rainbow occupied a more luxurious space — the show operated on the assumption that kids already had basic reading skills and instead focused on fostering a love of books.

Simensky calls Reading Rainbow's 26-year run miraculous — and says that its end is bittersweet.

Reading Rainbow
's impending absence leaves many open questions about today's literacy challenges, and what television's role should be in addressing them.

"But" — as Burton would have told his young readers — "you don't have to take my word for it."
Since most of us are in about the same age bracket, I take it that most of use grew up watching it. This show was a staple of my childhood, and I'm sad to see it go :cry:

readingrainbow_wide.jpg

Oh damn, that sucks. We used to watch Reading Rainbow all the time in school. I remember when i first started watching ST:TNG and realized he was Geordi.

Too bad Star Trek: TNG isn't in syndication. Most stars can pull down ten of thousands of dollars a year while a show is in syndication. That could have funded the show.

Just thought of something... Could Miley Cyrus and the rest of Disney Channel stars who are reversing any good work PBS accomplishes fund this show?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Too bad Star Trek: TNG isn't in syndication. Most stars can pull down ten of thousands of dollars a year while a show is in syndication. That could have funded the show.

Just thought of something... Could Miley Cyrus and the rest of Disney Channel stars who are reversing any good work PBS accomplishes fund this show?[/QUOTE]

It's on Sci-Fi all the time.

I figure that those new "stars" aren't reversing the good work as much as they are saying to hell with that, do this instead.

Anyways, I figure Commander LaForge would rather be on the engineering deck than on a kid's show anyways, the pay has to be better.

:(

On one of the last days of elementary school - us fifth graders eagerly looking forward to our educational milestone of graduating to a new campus - our teachers herded us into one of the presentation rooms and playing a few VHS tapes of this glorious show, knowing that we'd grown up with it from kindergarten.

Every single one of us in the room sang the entire theme song.

Grant says the funding crunch is partially to blame, but the decision to end Reading Rainbow can also be traced to a shift in the philosophy of educational television programming. The change started with the Department of Education under the Bush administration, he explains, which wanted to see a much heavier focus on the basic tools of reading — like phonics and spelling.
Bush does not care about reading rainbow. Freaking Bush. Is there anything that guy didn't ruin?

I remember when I was a kid watching the show and later going to the library to pick up the books that were featured in the show...

Yup, I used to watch this show when I was a kid. It actually influenced me to read a lot of books as a kid. I'm sad to see it go, it's definitely great for children to watch.

Wow. I didn't realize it started in 1983 (the same year I was born), nor that it had been on the air until now. It was a great show from what I remember.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I wish there was a CCNA rainbow. This shit is so boring.[/QUOTE]

Certified Cisco Network Administrator Rainbow? I don't think that would appeal to kids under 12. This show skews more to the 3-6 year-old demographic. Now, if only there was a way for Cisco and PBS to synergize their B2B enterprise-focus digital media strategy to optimize multi-platform distribution models into a ...

Sorry, forgot I wasn't at work. Working for big corporations takes the fun out of everything.

Had NO idea they still made these.. I figured we were watching really old episodes as it was in the early 90s

[quote name='mr_shoeless']Certified Cisco Network Administrator Rainbow? I don't think that would appeal to kids under 12. This show skews more to the 3-6 year-old demographic. Now, if only there was a way for Cisco and PBS to synergize their B2B enterprise-focus digital media strategy to optimize multi-platform distribution models into a ...

Sorry, forgot I wasn't at work. Working for big corporations takes the fun out of everything.[/QUOTE]

Know of any way to make this stuff interesting? I was almost ready for the test until Caitlyn told me I wasn't spending enough time with her. Damn summer break!

I didn't know they still made new episodes... All I've been watching are the same episodes from my childhood. And now NYC PBS doesn't show it anymore!
But 26 years worth of episodes = lots of episodes for the kiddies to watch forever.

I didn't know they were still making new ones either. I always missed them for some reason which irritated me. It was the same way with 3... 2... 1... Contact!

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Just thought of something... Could Miley Cyrus and the rest of Disney Channel stars who are reversing any good work PBS accomplishes fund this show?[/QUOTE]

Seriously... christ.

[quote name='GuilewasNK'][vid][/QUOTE]

Good Times. Makes me miss the show even more.

I Just remember as a kid being a bit distressed during the theme song when the dog would suddenly turn into a star. I Have no idea why I did. In anycase, shitty news though. It was one of those shows that felt teaches or encourages education that wasn't as spoonfed.

I can't believe this show was still on. What a great show; it'll be a loss for today's kiddies. I'm pretty sure this and Scholastic book orders were the main things that got me excited about reading as an 80s kid.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Just remember as a kid being a bit distressed during the theme song when the dog would suddenly turn into a star. I Have no idea why I did.[/QUOTE]I remember not liking the intro as a kid. I think I didn't like the overall look and found all the kids going into creepy animation land disturbing.

Sad to see that it's ending - although I haven't seen new episodes airing on my local PBS for a very long time. Like most others here, they just kept airing the really old ones (I think it had to do with the funding and the new ones probably only aired at the Buffalo station).

It was a great show which helped influence my younger sister and I to read when we were younger. If you want to use tv as a babysitter there's no better show to leave on. I can still remember some of the episodes - Levar at NYC chinatown, making pizza.

I remember this show, and like others I can't believe it was still on for this long.

"Take a look, it's in a book, a reading rainbow. A reading rainboooow! A reading rainbooooooooooow!"

Ah, the memories...

[quote name='Ather']Our lives are still being ruined by the Bush Administration! Thanks Dubbya![/QUOTE]

[quote name='bigdaddy']fucking George Bush....[/QUOTE]

The change started with the Department of Education under the Bush administration, he explains, which wanted to see a much heavier focus on the basic tools of reading — like phonics and spelling.

Yeah! fuck George Bush for wanting to focus on helping children to read and spell! Or rather, his Department of Education...since Bush probably had next to nothing to do with making this suggestion.

Christ. You guys make it sound like Bush signed an order dictating that Reading Rainbow be taken off the fucking air and Levar Burton's house be burned to the ground.

Here goes the last of the good shows from my childhood. Always saw these at home or even at school.

I remember in 1st or second grade we would watch it once a week on TV after lunch/recess when it was on at 12:30 or 1:00 (this was before our school had VHS to record it.) We would all singalong to the song every episode.

Somehow I missed out on the Rainbow. I know it only from maybe 5 minutes of seeing it in my life. I don't know the song. When people told me Lavar Burton on STNG was from the show, my response was, "oh". But good kids shows leaving the air is never good, so R.I.P. Ah, kids don't read anymore, anyway.

It is sad, but I guess can be chalked up to evolution. Don't get me wrong I love technology but reading is starting to take a back seat in our society, which I don't think is good.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah! fuck George Bush for wanting to focus on helping children to read and spell! Or rather, his Department of Education...since Bush probably had next to nothing to do with making this suggestion.

Christ. You guys make it sound like Bush signed an order dictating that Reading Rainbow be taken off the fucking air and Levar Burton's house be burned to the ground.[/QUOTE]
You know how when a corporation fucks up it's usually the CEO or president that takes the hit? Well it works the same way in politics.

bread's done
Back