Ready to get my first car! Any suggestions?

omgu8myrice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey guys, im about to be a senior in high school, and granted i do well on my SAT's, my parentals should be funding me a car...;)

Anyway, ive been a car buff my whole life, im looking to spend around 15k-20k for a brand new one. Preferably, id like something i can do some minor customization to (like ground effects, or a muffler, nothing much), and something that is very sporty.

ive been looking at the manual Scion Tc, and i like it a lot, expecially since toyota allows you to customize everything straight from the dealership through TRD. also distantly have my eyes on the civic, and the subarus are a little out of my budget. If anyone has any experience with sporty coupes in this price range, please help me out! :)

Honda Civic's are easy to fix up, I personally like the Acura Integra, with 15-20k you can pretty much buy a 2001 integra that's fixed up already. You can also get the Acura RSX or TSX which are nice.

EDIT: the scion TC is very nice, my friend has one and i like driving it =D

Noooo nooo nooooo, pleeeease no riced out import :( Too many on the streets. I get tired of embarassing every import who thinks they're fast. I'm not saying you shouldn't get an import, but get something respectable, like a used 350z. You can find one easily for under 20k, in great condition.

-EDIT-

I probably won't buy an import for a loooong time, but I have much respect for the 350z and I like the way the RX-8 looks. What about those? Just no Civic/Eclipse/Integra/Prelude, pleeeeease.

Jeep Wrangler.

I will guarantee that once you own one, you will always want to own one. I will also guarantee you that it's one of the most fun vehicles ever, not to mention the unlimited customization.

well, looking at the way GM and Ford are doing, id say riced out imports are owning right now.

my parents arnt gonna let me get a used car, let alone a 350z. i love that car, but ill save it for later in life.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']well, looking at the way GM and Ford are doing, id say riced out imports are owning right now.

my parents arnt gonna let me get a used car, let alone a 350z. i love that car, but ill save it for later in life.[/QUOTE]

Owning in terms of what? Number of them you see out on the streets?

must be nice...my first car was a freebie 77 impala that i had to fix up myself...but i loved it

oh and riced out imports made me lol:lol:

[quote name='btw1217']Owning in terms of what? Number of them you see out on the streets?[/quote]

owning in terms of..profit? And anyway i raelly dont like the styling of most american cars, and the interior is garbage.

mustang is alright though, which i also have my eyes on. a bit pricey it is though

[quote name='omgu8myrice']owning in terms of..profit? And anyway i raelly dont like the styling of most american cars, and the interior is garbage.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I dunno about that. I'd need to see some numbers. The new Mustangs have nice interior, and GTO interior is drool worthy (for me at least), but Mustangs are muscle cars (leave the V6s out), and muscle cars have always just been raw, unrefined power. Never about pretty interior or things of the sort. Just one of those things, I guess.

I like the fuel economy of the tC over the Mustang. And while I personally don't draw many conclusions from stereotypes, the v6 Mustang is (statistically speaking) a chick car with "nearly 55 percent of V-6 Mustangs being driven by females". Of course if your glass is half full, that same statistic should be read as "chick magnet".

While slightly north of your price range, but less than the WRX, my buddy loves his Mazdaspeed 3. He loves that Mazda will do a cold air intake straight from the factory covered under the normal warranty. His license plate, 'MOCHI' pretty much speaks for itself.

Just keep a clear idea of what features are most important to you. Whether it is interior detailing, horsepower, proven maintenance reliability, or simple stuff like ipod connectivity, eventually, if you climb inside and drive enough of them, the right car for you will become apparent.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']i dont want any older models, i like brand new :)

hows the tc drive?

i think the RSX is butt ugly and the tsx is too much monies[/QUOTE]

but the rsx makes up in sheer performance and stability. you can get a 04 type s for about 16-17 with 20k i think..and it has 200bhp and 142lb-ft @ 6000 rpm of torgue. If tuned right, those things are beats. but to each his own. it may seem puny to others but for a 4cyl engine..it packs a punch.

what is your budget for a car? 15k?20k? are you financing it or outright paying for it? did you check how much insurance would be for a sports car?(its 2 door so insurance will count it as a sports car) just asking questions because it can sway a decision to buy a car.(it did for me)

i would do this..because this is what i did. dont just stick yourself to the TC. you may like it now..but when you drive it..it may not be for you. i test drove an Audi A4, Acura TL, Mazda 3, Acura RSX,Subaru WRX,Toyota Corrolla(which is actually a great car for its cheapo price) Mitsu Eclips GT Spyder. i arrived at a 2003 Mazda 6i. basically i went from high to low and came to a medium from what i can afford and what has the best drivability to suit my style and suit my budget. basically i came to a medium...but if your rents are paying for everything at their own will and given you a high budget..get what you want.

anyway...the TC is a solid choice but for the cash you can do alot better in terms of performance and interior. like for instance a 2001 Audi S4 which has a better interior and makes mince meat out of sports compact with 250 bhp. even though you dont like sedans...an S4 is will get you more looks than a TC. Thats what ive experienced with my friends 2001 Audi S4 with a stage 3 audi performance kit on it.

good luck and be as patient as possible. no rush to go out and buy a car you might regret later.

A friend of mine has a tC and loves it. I've never driven it but from a passenger perspective it's pretty comfortable. Personally I think there's nothing better than an old beater for a first car. I loved the hell out of my 86 Lancer until the engine caught fire one day. Good times.

I was going to suggest an air-cooled Volkswagen, but then I read that you want to put ground effects and what have you on it but....no.

lolololololololololololol @ spoiled rich kid.

No matter what you get for your first car you will abuse it, wreck it, and trash it.

Get a piece of shit ricer and piss your money away.

15-20k for a new car for a teenager.

HAHAHAAHAHA.

You have got to be shitting me.

Get a piece of shit civic and race your friends with your ground effects.
Just remeber every sticker gives +5 hp.

I know you have your mind set on a sports car, but I highly suggest you don't make the same mistake I made. When I was a senior, I sold my Nissan Sentra, took on 3 jobs, and started paying for a V6 Mustang. I really like my car, but in perspective, it was the worst idea I ever had. Not only is insurance high, but think about how that RWD car will handle in the snow; not to mention gas prices.

Sports cars are obviously fun, but think of the practicality. If swerving in the snow and paying a lot of money on gas sounds like fun, then by all means go for it. Now my experience is just from my car, so I don't know how a TC handles or what kind of MPG it gets, but still take into consideration what I said.

if I was your parents I would hook you up with this http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321567,00.html

Just Kidding...

If they are really nice they would pick you up a Suby WRX, no damn Honda Civic or Integra and forget the ground effects. You just need a Turbo Back Exhaust (TBE) with only 1 CAT and buy an AccessPort from Cobb Tuning. Finish it with a nice drop and some new rims and for $2000 or less in aftermarket you will have a 260+ hp stage 2 AWD respectable car. The AccessPort is very easy to use and can be ran on Stage 1 on a factory car

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3737

In all seriousness, and speaking from years of experience and after buying several cars, my advice is to buy used. Even if it is only last year's model, that will knock off anywhere from $2000-5000 off the price. New cars lose a piece of their value after they are driven off the lot, and buying used lets you take advantage of that. Also, after the 1 year mark, value drops a little more as well. Trust me, that one year's difference won't matter one bit, and with the cash you've saved, you could afford to purchase a warranty or heck, open yourself up a Roth IRA. Never touch that until retirement and it will be 6 figures.

[quote name='the ender']In all seriousness, and speaking from years of experience and after buying several cars, my advice is to buy used. Even if it is only last year's model, that will knock off anywhere from $2000-5000 off the price. New cars lose a piece of their value after they are driven off the lot, and buying used lets you take advantage of that. Also, after the 1 year mark, value drops a little more as well. Trust me, that one year's difference won't matter one bit, and with the cash you've saved, you could afford to purchase a warranty or heck, open yourself up a Roth IRA. Never touch that until retirement and it will be 6 figures.[/quote]

the ender speaks truth. Not to mention that your parents/you will save hundreds of dollars on insurance. The thought of an 18 year old in a BRAND new car means $$$ for your insurance provider.

I will back up the buy used statements made as well. Never buy new at a young age. You will not want to keep the car after a few years or you will wreck it.

Buy a truck, its the all time best thing to own. You have plenty of power, room to haul people if you want, space to put things and you can tow if needed. Trucks ride better than cars and sitting higher up = greatness. I've owned a 95 Firehawk, 99 Trans Am, 96 grand am, 94 toyota tercel (fun as hell), 94 Ford ranger and now have a 2004 Chevy Silverado, and I must say the Silverdo is god compared to cars.

Forgot to mention, when you own a sportscar you are alot easier to notice when speeding or anything else, in a truck no one looks at you twice.

Here is some advice OP, and it is especially true for you since mommy and daddy are buying your first car for you, instead of making you earn the money for it yourself:

GET A CHEAP ONE, YOU'RE GOING TO CRASH IT!

Here is another juicy morsel of wisdom: BUY PRE-OWNED (you can tell someone has been around the sales end of the industry when they call "used" cars "pre-owned") and let some other stupid idiot take the (nowadays) average 3-5k hit as soon as you drive it off the lot. For context I worked in a car dealership for 8 years, 3 in service, 1 in parts and 4 in new/pre-owned sales.

im still not sure if im gonna lease or buy, i guess a previous year model wouldnt be too bad as long as its not 'used'

and id rather not get audis and stuff, it is my first car, im not looking to get anything too powerful, or too flashy, just something that is a little sporty and fun to drive.

[quote name='InuFaye']lolololololololololololol @ spoiled rich kid.

No matter what you get for your first car you will abuse it, wreck it, and trash it.

Get a piece of shit ricer and piss your money away.

15-20k for a new car for a teenager.

HAHAHAAHAHA.

You have got to be shitting me.

Get a piece of shit civic and race your friends with your ground effects.
Just remeber every sticker gives +5 hp.[/QUOTE]

Somebody's being a bitter Betty :lol:

[quote name='Lsgun1']Buy a truck, its the all time best thing to own. You have plenty of power, room to haul people if you want, space to put things and you can tow if needed. Trucks ride better than cars and sitting higher up = greatness. I've owned a 95 Firehawk, 99 Trans Am, 96 grand am, 94 toyota tercel (fun as hell), 94 Ford ranger and now have a 2004 Chevy Silverado, and I must say the Silverdo is god compared to cars.

Forgot to mention, when you own a sportscar you are alot easier to notice when speeding or anything else, in a truck no one looks at you twice.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, don't get a full-sized truck. I got an 06 F-150 that wastes too much fucking gas and is a bitch to handle in parking lots. I'd rather get sedan if I'm going to worry about hauling people around.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']im still not sure if im gonna lease or buy, i guess a previous year model wouldnt be too bad as long as its not 'used'

and id rather not get audis and stuff, it is my first car, im not looking to get anything too powerful, or too flashy, just something that is a little sporty and fun to drive.[/quote]

have you considered a mini cooper btw? The tcs are ok if you ask me but the fact that it's the car of choice for many ricers turns me off completely. A civic coupe would be comparable just a tad more expensive.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']have you considered a mini cooper btw? The tcs are ok if you ask me but the fact that it's the car of choice for many ricers turns me off completely. A civic coupe would be comparable just a tad more expensive.[/quote]

im not thinking about totally 'ricing' up the car anyway

i have a friend that had a mini cooper, it was aight, ride a little too choppy for my liking (and too feminine IMO)

7072-1972-Ford-Pinto.jpg

Well, I personally don't think that a civic is that bad for a first car. FWD, reasonable amount of power for a first car, and decent on gas mileage. Just get yourself a stick, and you'll be fine.

[quote name='docvinh']Just get yourself a stick, and you'll be fine.[/quote]

thats another question i have, should i bother learning how to drive a stick? although the idea intrigues me, ive tried in the past, and i always end up getting frustrated when i stall the car. how long does it take for a manual transmission to become 2nd nature to a driver?

[quote name='btw1217']Eclipse.[/QUOTE]

The Eclipse was an American built car by an American-based company when they made good ones.

If you actually want to be able to afford the insurance, you'd be smart to find something used. Brand new sporty car for a 18-year old male? Fail.

Im not being bitter.

Im speaking the damn truth.

New Cars and Teenagers dont go.

Buy something used

just because it is used does not mean its junk.

Jesus.

[quote name='omgu8myrice']thats another question i have, should i bother learning how to drive a stick? although the idea intrigues me, ive tried in the past, and i always end up getting frustrated when i stall the car. how long does it take for a manual transmission to become 2nd nature to a driver?[/QUOTE]

Most definitely yes. Once you learn the basics of how to get it rolling consistently, it's only a week or two until it's more or less second nature. I used to get so frustrated too when I was first learning to drive a stick, and then I realized the trick isn't so much about guessing how much you need to let off the clutch while figuring out when and how much gas to give it. Just look at the tachometer and keep the car at around 1k RPM as you ease off the clutch. As long as you don't drop too far below 1k RPMs, you can take your sweet time letting off the clutch. Just give it enough gas to keep it at 1-1.5k as you slowly let off the clutch, and then you're rolling. After that, it's pretty simple. You can't really stall out shifting to 2nd-3rd-4th-etc.

It helped for me, because it gave me a visual way to know how much gas to give it as I let off the clutch instead of just trying to guess and stall out.

[quote name='btw1217']Most definitely yes. Once you learn the basics of how to get it rolling consistently, it's only a week or two until it's more or less second nature. I used to get so frustrated too when I was first learning to drive a stick, and then I realized the trick isn't so much about guessing how much you need to let off the clutch while figuring out when and how much gas to give it. Just look at the tachometer and keep the car at around 1k RPM as you ease off the clutch. As long as you don't drop too far below 1k RPMs, you can take your sweet time letting off the clutch. Just give it enough gas to keep it at 1-1.5k as you slowly let off the clutch, and then you're rolling. After that, it's pretty simple. You can't really stall out shifting to 2nd-3rd-4th-etc.

It helped for me, because it gave me a visual way to know how much gas to give it as I let off the clutch instead of just trying to guess and stall out.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips, ill have to try that out some time

[quote name='seanr1221']I know you have your mind set on a sports car, but I highly suggest you don't make the same mistake I made. When I was a senior, I sold my Nissan Sentra, took on 3 jobs, and started paying for a V6 Mustang. I really like my car, but in perspective, it was the worst idea I ever had. Not only is insurance high, but think about how that RWD car will handle in the snow; not to mention gas prices.

Sports cars are obviously fun, but think of the practicality. If swerving in the snow and paying a lot of money on gas sounds like fun, then by all means go for it. Now my experience is just from my car, so I don't know how a TC handles or what kind of MPG it gets, but still take into consideration what I said.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Practicality is the absolute most important thing for a first car, and if you get something really fast, you also will probably end up killing yourself.

[quote name='Chacrana']Exactly. Practicality is the absolute most important thing for a first car, and if you get something really fast, you also will probably end up killing yourself.[/QUOTE]

With a fast car, you must have a balance of three things: responsibility, driving skill, and respect, for both the car AND other drivers.

Also,people will probably try to race you.My car looks far fom fast(dodge stratus 2002 coupe) and I always get the guy next to me revving up and mashing on the gas as soon as it turns green.Annoying as hell but yeah,get a used one and I read somewhere that the first 10k miles are the expensive ones.

[quote name='btw1217']With a fast car, you must have a balance of three things: responsibility, driving skill, and respect, for both the car AND other drivers.[/quote]

thats why im not looking to get a sports car..a scion tc is by no means a fast car. i am a fairly responsible person anyway, im not looking to race anyone and i dont drive fast anyway. im just looking for something that is sporty

no kids first car should be worth $15k, especially not $20k
and your parents buying it for you doesn't make it any better...

Get an old Mercury Grand Marquis or a Ford Crown Victoria in white. It's the safest car on the road because no one will come anywhere near you much less try to race you.

bread's done
Back