Real Cheapasses require CHEAP PIZZa!! Anyone know the dimensions of Pizza?

DisturbedZen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Im sure everyone has always asked the question.. What would be a better deal? 2x Medium Pizzas or 1 XL Pizza? I believe Ive seen a calculation before on this, but I never gave a #$%^, now I do care. I need some cheap pizza!

Anyone know the dimensions for the pizzas at Pizza Hut? Or even a site that has calculations done for the best deal for more satisfying pizza?

I've always wondered this too.

I think that a medium pizza has a diameter of 12 inches, while an XL has a diameter of 16 inches. Using these values, the total area of 2 Mediums is:

2 x 3.14 x (12/2)(12/2) = 226 inches squared

the total area of an XL is:

3.14 x (16/2)(16/2) = 201 inches squared

So, two mediums offer about 12% more pizza than an XL. But like Zionoverfire said, you'll get more crust with the two mediums. making the actual difference less.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']I've always wondered this too.

I think that a medium pizza has a diameter of 12 inches, while an XL has a diameter of 16 inches. Using these values, the total area of 2 Mediums is:

2 x 3.14 x (12/2)(12/2) = 226 inches squared

the total area of an XL is:

3.14 x (16/2)(16/2) = 201 inches squared

So, two mediums offer about 12% more pizza than an XL. But like Zionoverfire said, you'll get more crust with the two mediums. making the actual difference less.[/quote]

Very nice job! :D

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='evilpenguin9000']Now that is math put to good use. :applause:[/quote]

Except that is the circumference.[/quote]

Circumference is pi x diameter (or pi x 2 x radius)
area is pi x radius squared

Think of pizza as a long term investment:

Enjoy that pizza while it's hot, have enough to eat for breakfast, lunch (or take to work for lunch), and dinner for a day or two. I'll get two large deep dishes from Dominos, and be set for three days.

More pies is typically better, especially when you have more people over. No way my friends could equally share an XL pizza, but 2 mediums is easier for some reason...

[quote name='anonymouswhoami'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='evilpenguin9000']Now that is math put to good use. :applause:[/quote]

Except that is the circumference.[/quote]

Circumference is pi x diameter (or pi x 2 x radius)
area is pi x radius squared[/quote]

Yeah, I know the equation, I misread what he wrote and already corrected my post.

[quote name='Trakan']I don't think that's right. My local pizza shop's XL pizza is 18 inches.[/quote]

Pizza Hut's nutritional guide states 12 for medium, 14 for large, 16 for XL. Most of the other major chains (Papa Johns, Little Ceasars, Domino's) also have these sizes. I think that it's a marketing gimmick - calling what would normally be a small in a local pizza shop, a medium to make it seem that you're getting more pizza. Notice how the major chains never have "small" pizzas...it's because their medium is a small.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami'][quote name='Trakan']I don't think that's right. My local pizza shop's XL pizza is 18 inches.[/quote]

Pizza Hut's nutritional guide states 12 for medium, 14 for large, 16 for XL.[/quote]

Oh, didn't know we were going by Pizza Hut only. :oops:

You guys aren't thinking properly.
You're calculating area.
You need to be calculating Volume and Density.
A denser pizza has more 'good stuff', which costs much more then the dough itself.

Most pizza joints SAY their large is 14 inches...but they're mostly between 13 and 13.5 inches. Measure one and you'll see what I mean. The chains are notorious for this. Cheapasses. :wink:

As someone who works as a manager in a pizza shop, I can definately tell you that getting two mediums is definately a better deal. It's usually not much more then say, a large, and if it easily satisfies your hunger, you have leftovers. Nothing beats cold pizza for breakfast.

At Dominos, they have a deal where you can get 3 medium one-topping pizzas for $5 each...they taste like shit, but it's cheap, so who cares? :lol:

[quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

True but on that note bagel pizza's are really good. =P~

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

True but on that note bagel pizza's are really good. =P~[/quote]

Yeah, they are good. Anyone ever had those pizza ritz cracker things? I think it's a recipe on the Ritz box, but damn they're good. =P~

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

Yeah, they are good. Anyone ever had those pizza ritz cracker things? I think it's a recipe on the Ritz box, but damn they're good. =P~[/quote]

Yes I have but I find it even better with thin rice crackers =P~

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

Yeah, they are good. Anyone ever had those pizza ritz cracker things? I think it's a recipe on the Ritz box, but damn they're good. =P~[/quote]

Yes I have but I find it even better with thin rice crackers =P~[/quote]
Pizza Hot Pockets are also good. =P~

[quote name='dnt_h8me2'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

Pizza Hot Pockets are also good. =P~[/quote]

Totino's Pizza rolls =P~

[quote name='Trakan'][quote name='dnt_h8me2'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

Totino's Pizza rolls =P~[/quote]

Del Taco's Chicken Works Burrito. =P~

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='dnt_h8me2'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

Del Taco's Chicken Works Burrito. =P~[/quote]
mmmmm french bread pizza (my contrabution) =P~

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='dnt_h8me2'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

mmmmm french bread pizza (my contrabution) =P~[/quote]
Rotten Veggie Rolls with Moldy Cheese =P~

[quote name='help1']well you see. over here dominos gives 3 mediums for 15...[/quote]

I've been enjoying that deal for a while. Apparently it was supposed to be over a couple weeks ago but I guess they either extended it or haven't been very strict about it.

The new Pizza Hut Full House Pizza is nicefor it's 9.99 price, it's the replacement for the RIP big NYker(also 9.99).... *sob*

[quote name='DenisDFat']Pizza Hut should rename itself to Pizza Nasty. It's even worse than CiCi's or generick frozen ones.[/quote]

Your right, Pizza Hut has really bad pizza, but, Little Cesar's Pizza is the worst!...:puke:

[quote name='KingNES']The new Pizza Hut Full House Pizza is nicefor it's 9.99 price, it's the replacement for the RIP big NYker(also 9.99).... *sob*[/quote]

The only difference is it doesn't have the sweet sauce, but you should be able to request it.

[quote name='SEGA128DC'][quote name='DenisDFat']Pizza Hut should rename itself to Pizza Nasty. It's even worse than CiCi's or generick frozen ones.[/quote]

Your right, Pizza Hut has really bad pizza, but, Little Cesar's Pizza is the worst!...:puke:[/quote]

Hey don't knock frozen pizzas. Nothing beats nuking up some Mama Celeste for a quick snack.

[quote name='help1'][quote name='CaptainObviousXl'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='dnt_h8me2'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='Trakan'][quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='dcfox']I really hate pizza chains, especially Domino's. Their large is about the size of a bagel pizza.[/quote]

mmmmm french bread pizza (my contrabution) =P~[/quote]
Rotten Veggie Rolls with Moldy Cheese =P~[/quote]
come on you guys back to the quoting lets try to make this one realy long =P~

[quote name='wubb']Dude, just ask the pizza guy to cut it into 16 slices instead of 8. Bam! Twice as much pizza.[/quote]

When I get pizza from dominos we ask them not to cut it (couple of my friends are muslim) so then I can say I only had one piece of pizza. :lol:

bread's done
Back