Really worth getting the PSP Slim?

figcoinc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
I owned the PSP a while back. I had fun with it but the loading times made me nuts. I turned it in and picked up a DS. Been playing that ever since.

Now that I see the library of games on the PSP is growing a lot I was thinking of jumping back in.....maybe.

The PSP slims....is it really a upgrade to the old PSP? Does it load faster like it says. I loved the multimedia options the PSP had, but the loading was what kept me back.

I was thinking of picking up one of those Daxter PSP bundles...

BTW any deals with that?

Thanks everyone for your opinions. :)

It doesn't help that much with loading.

All games vary though as far as loading goes. If there is a good amount of games you are interested in playing then grab one, otherwise don't.

I love mine. I used to have an old phat PSP, and I can definitely tell as far as load times go that the slim is faster. It's also CONSIDERABLY lighter, which is awesome. I say go for it, man.

Load times are slightly faster, but nothing impressive. Also, aside from the zip up storage cases and screen gaurds, I have yet to find anything that fits with it ( psyclone speakers, varios headphones that have that lil 2nd peice next to the plug-you cant change the analog stick ect). It is deffinatly lighter and brighter screen, and the battery lasts longer. I'd wait for a price drop or pick one up used.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am still thinking about it.

I just wish the Daxter PSP Slim was black. I do not like the color that it comes with.

Any other advice on what I should do is greatly apperciated. Opinions on load times especially. That was my biggest issue, other than that I think the PSP is a great system and a worthy handlheld next to my DS.

The doubled RAM is not only used for the new UMD caching feature but for a few Slim homebrew applications (like the CPS2PSP emulator for example) as well. One of the greatest improvements in the Slim is the new raised d-pad, making fighting games very well playable now.

[quote name='AndrewCP']The doubled RAM is not only used for the new UMD caching feature but for a few Slim homebrew applications (like the CPS2PSP emulator for example) as well. One of the greatest improvements in the Slim is the new raised d-pad, making fighting games very well playable now.[/quote]

REALLY!?

I am a street fighter fanatic. I had Alpha 3 on my old PSP and was annoyed when doing some moves. This is great news actually. :bouncy:

[quote name='figcoinc']I just wish the Daxter PSP Slim was black. I do not like the color that it comes with.[/QUOTE]

How much is the Daxter game by itself? If you intend to do any kind of multimedia applications (listening to music or watching video) I think the 1GB card will be pretty limiting. You're better off just buying a 2 or 4GB card straight off the bat rather than making-do with the 1GB card.

I have a 4GB card and it allows me to encode my DVDs at higher quality. I encoded at full screen res (480x272 for widescreen movies) and 768kbps video + 160kbps audio and Lord of the Rings came out to be 1.2GB. You could not fit that on a 1GB card, whereas I can put 3 3-hr movies at this high quality and still have half a gig free on my 4GB card.

If you want Daxter and it's cheap, you could just buy the core pack and get the game separately. Then pick up a big memory card. It might come out more than the Daxter pack but you'd have the PSP you want, plus a memory card you can actually use for watching video.

Ruahrc

[quote name='figcoinc']REALLY!?

I am a street fighter fanatic. I had Alpha 3 on my old PSP and was annoyed when doing some moves. This is great news actually. :bouncy:[/quote]

Yep, Alpha 3 works flawlessly. I was annoyed with the old PSP's d-pad too and when I upgraded to the Slim, it seemed that it was almost completely worth it for the improved d-pad alone but there are other cool features so I was pretty satisfied and felt like I got my money's worth this time.

Still waiting for mine to arrive. I picked up 3 games last night, bought one off here and get one with the system...

Now to go grab Wipeout Pure and Daxter and i should be set for a little bit. I never even realized that the slim would not fit in the playgear... good thing I didnt buy one yet.

Hmm... I will have to find this zip up case.

I also think the individual purchases would be best. Get the memory and system you want that way.

[quote name='Ruahrc']How much is the Daxter game by itself? If you intend to do any kind of multimedia applications (listening to music or watching video) I think the 1GB card will be pretty limiting. You're better off just buying a 2 or 4GB card straight off the bat rather than making-do with the 1GB card.

I have a 4GB card and it allows me to encode my DVDs at higher quality. I encoded at full screen res (480x272 for widescreen movies) and 768kbps video + 160kbps audio and Lord of the Rings came out to be 1.2GB. You could not fit that on a 1GB card, whereas I can put 3 3-hr movies at this high quality and still have half a gig free on my 4GB card.

If you want Daxter and it's cheap, you could just buy the core pack and get the game separately. Then pick up a big memory card. It might come out more than the Daxter pack but you'd have the PSP you want, plus a memory card you can actually use for watching video.

Ruahrc[/quote]

That is one tactic I was thinking about. I really do not want to play the daxter game. I rather play ratchet and clank if I was going to play that type of game. I might just try to use that $40 coupon at CC. Get the PSP core, then pick up the higher end mem card, or a game so I can use it.

bread's done
Back