Reccomend HDTV brands/models for college student

AstronautAvA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I'm looking to get a nice HD set for my dorm, somewhere in the 37-42 inch range for something around $500 dollars (keyword: around).

Any brands or models that are best for this?

I've heard to avoid Vizio/Dynex/Insignia/other budget brands, but that's about the extent of my knowledge >.<

thanks in advance!

I recommend you stopping at 32in

My friend has a 42 in his dorm room, its stupid in it

As for your budget brand thing, I can only comment on Insignia

I have a 24in LCD 720p for like 4+ years now, NO problems at all

as a clarification, my dorm is about the size of a smaller hotel room (I go to a private university), my previous room mate had a 42 and it was totally fine in the room I will be using it in.

As far as Insignia goes, how is the picture quality and all that?

Again, thanks for replying :)

NP on replying, I hate when someone asks a question and people would rather post bashing comments or lies so this is my good deed of the day

for being 4+ years old I think it was top of the model range

for being 24inch it was like $500 at the time I believe

so I would say its good quality, I have seen better, but only on a 1080p

yeah its held up well for 4+ years also

but I do know that its Best Buys brand

so if you walk in there they want you to buy them

I've never understood the fascination with ridiculous-sized TV's. Especially at college you're just asking for trouble. You could do better with a smaller size and get a TV you'll want to keep rather than get an off brand.

As a side note I won't buy brands other than Samsung for video. I've had several, some for 10+ years and those things don't break.

I was about to say that I'm a big Samsung fan... all of my PC monitors have been Samsung and they're so dependable with a great picture. I just wanted to see what my other options were and whatnot.

You should go to Best Buy/Target/Walmart and look at tv's, side by side, write down the ones you like, then come back and ask for an opinion on certain ones. That would help you in picking out the best quality for your money.

All HDTV's don't look good. A lot of them have been on sale, lately, and seeing them in person would give you a very good idea.

If I find something I like, I like to google for reviews. Amazon, sometimes, a lot of reviews on a lot of stuff.

if you can find a good price, I recommend the Panasonic Viera line of plasmas. We've got a 42" in our living room, just 720p, and it's gorgeous. We're about 7ft away.

Should be able to find a 1080p model for around $600 if you shop right, though 720p should fit the $ bill just fine, too and is more than enough TV.

Of course, if you've got a lot of room light, there can be glare issues. But the newer screens also deal with this well.

Check out Amazon for free shipping/no tax, and look at the reviews to help narrow down for any TV, even if not the Viera.

32" LCD at a sub $400-350 price is the way to go for a bedroom or dorm room. Anything larger is strictly for those compensating.

i would get a 27 or 32'' visio. theyre very cheap and made at the same factory and with the same parts as samsung so you cant go wrong with one. i bought a 27'' led for my college apartment and i couldnt ask anything more of it

After much research and deliberation, I went with this baby right here

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...573&skuId=9748831&ref=39&CJPID=1312731&loc=01

Once I spent some time tweaking the picture settings, the TV looks fantastic!
As far as the whole "made from Samsung parts" thing, one of the Geek Squad dudes plugged the TV into their MacBook, and it in fact registered the TV as a Samsung.

Would definitely recommend the TV. Thanks to all who gave advice!

Ok choice my buddy has the same TV and it has great picture. I had a samsung 42" plasma in my dorm when I was an undergrad we where able to get Comcast boxes with HD which was sweet lol. If you play a lot of games make sure you do not leave it stationary for long periods of time. I played gears 2 and the shotgun was stuck in the upper right has a screen burn, but if you take care of it you will be ok

[quote name='jaroth2']Ok choice my buddy has the same TV and it has great picture. I had a samsung 42" plasma in my dorm when I was an undergrad we where able to get Comcast boxes with HD which was sweet lol. If you play a lot of games make sure you do not leave it stationary for long periods of time. I played gears 2 and the shotgun was stuck in the upper right has a screen burn, but if you take care of it you will be ok[/QUOTE]

I think for brands that are not very well known it is risky to go with plasma if you are into gaming since the cheaper TV's may still suffer from burn in.

Honestly, I've never gone wrong picking up the cheapest LCD set they had at Costco. I got a 32" Proscan back in January 2009 for $329 and haven't looked back. Costco no longer has the infinite return policy, but they do extend the mfg warranty for two years and will help you deal with service. Think 2x about a set that size in a room that small. If I were going to college next year, I'd probably go with the set below and save the $$$$$. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav= All their LCDs http://www.costco.com/Common/Catego...&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

[quote name='jaroth2']Ok choice my buddy has the same TV and it has great picture. I had a samsung 42" plasma in my dorm when I was an undergrad we where able to get Comcast boxes with HD which was sweet lol. If you play a lot of games make sure you do not leave it stationary for long periods of time. I played gears 2 and the shotgun was stuck in the upper right has a screen burn, but if you take care of it you will be ok[/QUOTE]

Actually, modern tech has kind of gotten rid of the plasma burn in problem. There's several different settings/tools in the menu that help with that and so far they seem to work. The little map in the corner of the LA Noire screen has yet to stamp my screen :)

bread's done
Back