Reccomend me an RTS?

Ahadi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
I've been playing Starcraft for years and have recently picked up Star Wars Empire at War, and have been playing both Battle for Middle Earth games. I still love playing these games, but I'm looking to add a few new games to the collection. I don't care if it's sci-fi, fantasy, or whatever.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Highly, highly recommend the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War games and their respective expansions...

One of the best RTS ever released hands down IMO. I'm not a fan of the the Warhammer 40K game tabletop source but the stretegy game is amazing!

I was lucky and able to grab the Gold pack witch includes the original Dawn of War plus Winter Assault expansion pack and the Dark Crusade standalone box for $4.xx each at Target's clearance endcap. You might find either one there if you're lucky.

I was told the Dawn of War games are worth checking out. I know there is a bundle for like $30 at BB so I might hit that up.

I didn't too much care for the first Age of Empires, but was tempted by the third one. Is the second one much better than the first/third one?

And what are some good I guess for lack of a better word Medieval RTS games?

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne is the best multiplayer RTS, in my opinion. Second to Starcraft, with Warhammer in a distant but respectable third.

I don't really like single player RTS games, so I can't help there.

[quote name='dragonsho']Rome Total War

It's like RTS and turn based. I usually don't like RTS that much but this game is amazing.[/quote]
Yes yes and yes. If you like epic strategy games then I also highly recommend Civilization 4. It's not balls-to-the-wall action but the scope of it is really satisfying. If you enjoy Civ 4, pick up the expansion: Beyond the Sword.

If you've never played Total Annihilation, please pick that up. It might be 10 years old, but it's still one of the best RTS games ever if you ask me.

Warcraft 3 didn't do much for me. Warcraft 2 however, stands as one of my favorites. I picked up Command and Conquer Generals about a month ago, and I can't get into it.

And I don't really play these games for their story mode. I'm all about quick skirmishes. But I did find Black and White (1+2)'s story fun, but very tedious. Civilization has had my eye for a while, maybe I'll jump into that.

As it stands right now, what I've narrowed things down to is(in no order really)
Dawn of War + respective expansions
Company of Heroes
Civilization 4

I know from there it's going to fall into a personal perspective, but is Company of Heroes more or less like modern warfare? And what is Civilization 4 like? SimCityish? Do you start at one era and work your way through them or what?

[quote name='Ahadi']Warcraft 3 didn't do much for me. Warcraft 2 however, stands as one of my favorites. [/quote]

Yeah, WCIII was too RPG/hero based for my tastes. The second one, however, was total RTS ass kicking slaughter-fest. No creeps or gear or low unit limits to worry about.

EA is milking the C&C franchise with yet another monster compilation, this one titled C&C Saga. It features every C&C game ever release, including Tiberium Wars.

[quote name='Ahadi'] And what is Civilization 4 like? SimCityish? Do you start at one era and work your way through them or what?[/quote]
You start with 1 city, and expand turn by turn into a nation, and eventually, into a world power. It's split up into different eras with different technologies, so in that aspect I guess it's like simcity. I recommend to anyone, because the gameplay is simple enough to understand after 1 or 2 games, but there is a remarkable amount of depth in everything you do. Easy to pick up, hard to master, but really fun all the way through.

[quote name='dragonsho']Rome Total War

It's like RTS and turn based. I usually don't like RTS that much but this game is amazing.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, definitely. Rome Total War is the most addictive game I've played in years. I always end up playing it for 5 hours straight no matter what I mean to do. I've also heard Medieval II Total War is about the same so maybe you should check that out.

Otherwise for quick battles I'd get Company of Heroes or Dawn of War.

The Total Wars games are some of the few, if not the only, RTS games that come close to capturing the epic scale of war. It's hard to go back to playing a game that caps you at 100 units after commanding a dozen Roman legions in Total War.

It's also the best game at simulating classic battlefield tactics like ambushes, cavalry charges, envelopment, etc. In other words, I feel like an actual commander and not some busybody who's babysitting a bunch of dumbass units.

Age of Empires 2 - I played this game to death. It's really one of the best of it's era. Most modern RTS's try to do away with "dirt farming" but I like the way I can build 90 villagers and support a huge, ridiculously powerful army.

Age of Empires 3 - I think it gets overlooked because fan's of AOE 2 think too much has changed but those who aren't fans think "eh, it's still just AOE". The Home City works really great and you can customize your "deck" (cards that send units, bonuses or resources to your base) to suit your needs throughout the game.

Company of Heroes - I've just started getting into this game but I like it. It's the evolution of the Dawn of War games but set in WWII. There are a ton of combat options even with one riflemen squad. I'm still playing the single player and haven't jumped into scrims or online play.

I'll throw my hat in for Supreme Commander - combat on a truely epic scale. Provided you can run the game (it has really high specs for an RTS), the game is just nuts.

Alright, I'm going to buy Warhammer and it's respective expansions, given that it's $30 pretty much everywhere. And then I'll grab Civilization IV within a day or so of Warhammer. Then a bit further down the road I'll grab that Total War game.

Should those keep me busy for some time, or should I consider throwing AoE 3 or some other/extra game into the mix?

Company of Heroes is awesome if you like that setting. I didn't like AoE III too much, but honestly I probably didn't give it enough time.

[quote name='Ahadi']Alright, I'm going to buy Warhammer and it's respective expansions, given that it's $30 pretty much everywhere. And then I'll grab Civilization IV within a day or so of Warhammer. Then a bit further down the road I'll grab that Total War game.

Should those keep me busy for some time, or should I consider throwing AoE 3 or some other/extra game into the mix?[/quote]

I still haven't stopped playing Civ 4 and I must have gotten that game a year ago. Rome: Total War is almost as addicting.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I didn't like AoE III too much, but honestly I probably didn't give it enough time.[/quote]

I love Age of Empires but I didn't really get into AEO 3 until I played the Warchief expansion. The Iroquois rock!

Alright, I grabbed Dawn of War Platinum Edition tonight. I'm going to install it and give it a whirl. I was torn between that and Civ4.

I'll definitely let you guys know if this scratches my RTS itch.

[quote name='Ahadi']Alright, I grabbed Dawn of War Platinum Edition tonight. I'm going to install it and give it a whirl. I was torn between that and Civ4.

I'll definitely let you guys know if this scratches my RTS itch.[/QUOTE]

If you don't like DOW, you won't like anything in the genre. Because it's pretty much the best thing there is.

[quote name='Chacrana']If you don't like DOW, you won't like anything in the genre. Because it's pretty much the best thing there is.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by throwing genre in there? Is it a different kind of RTS from say Starcraft or Empire at War?

[quote name='Ahadi']What do you mean by throwing genre in there? Is it a different kind of RTS from say Starcraft or Empire at War?[/QUOTE]

I threw the genre in there because it's easily one of the best RTSes ever and if you don't dig it, then chances are that you won't like other games in the genre because the majority just aren't that good.

[quote name='Chacrana']I threw the genre in there because it's easily one of the best RTSes ever and if you don't dig it, then chances are that you won't like other games in the genre because the majority just aren't that good.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I follow you now. I wouldn't worry too much about not liking it. I really like the RTS genre, I'm just looking to add a few more games to my library.

It's too bad that I got one of those awesome glitched copies that is missing 4 digits of the cd key.

[quote name='Chacrana']If you don't like DOW, you won't like anything in the genre. Because it's pretty much the best thing there is.[/quote]

I'll still play an RTS with resource management. They doesn't have nearly the same kind of tactical emphases but they're still a lot of full. Sort of like an old school shooter.

I'm playing through DOW's campaign, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to work my way through the campaigns until I find *my* race. But so far, the space marines are pretty neat.

[quote name='Ahadi']I'm playing through DOW's campaign, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to work my way through the campaigns until I find *my* race. But so far, the space marines are pretty neat.[/quote]

Yeah, the voice acting is supurb. I knew nothing of the Warhammer mythos but now I'm in love with it after playing those games. I'm especially fond of the Imperium because in most scifi settings, the "terrans" are portrayed as either noble or diplomatic. The Imperium, on the other hand, is this xenophobic, hate-mongering combination of the Roman Empire, Catholic Church, and Nazis. Awesome stuff.

FOR THE EMPEROR!

bread's done
Back