Reccommend me a Desktop Computer!

unctennis122

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
I am in search for a good desktop computer for daily use (internet surfing and word processing mainly), that can also handle video and photo editing (I use adobe premiere and photoshop). I also need a DVD burner and DVD creation software for my home movies. I am looking to spend as little as possible, max of $600 on the system alone with no monitor, but if there are good deals that include a monitor and are cheap let me know.

Alienware.

Oh, wait, only 2 zeros, not 3.

Get a Dell or Gateway or something.

An FIRST THING YOU DO WHEN YOU PLUG IT IN IS TO REFORMAT THE HARD DRIVE!

All mainstream computers come fully loaded with a shitload of useless software, spyware, and sometimes even a virus or two. It's insane.

You gotta reformat it the second you turn it on, don't start using it until you reformat it.

Or if you are feeling confident, build it yourself.

How difficult is it to build a computer? I know a little about computers, but have never built one before. The most I have done is installed an internal DVD-RW drive in my computer and put in a new graphics card. If I do what kaji7p56 suggested then what do I do with all the pieces?

I would look into a nice Dell, possibly with a free 15" lcd monitor thrown in. Don't be afraid to ask them over the phone to spice up the deal.

[quote name='unctennis122']How difficult is it to build a computer? I know a little about computers, but have never built one before. The most I have done is installed an internal DVD-RW drive in my computer and put in a new graphics card. If I do what kaji7p56 suggested then what do I do with all the pieces?[/QUOTE]

The link I posted is for Monarch Computers. They build the system for you and all you have to do is install the hard drive, DVD drive and vid card. You only need a screwdriver.

get a gateway at bestbuy or hp. Dells LCD monitors suck there of the worst kind. Dells cheap computers come with nothing good. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=124760
You get a good package regular is 879. but after rebates its 599.99. Its a solid computer with a 200gb hard drive a decent graphics card and dvd burner. if your willing to do rebates go for it. If not try and check the ads for combo packages and you sometimes get good deals.

[quote name='adidas']get a gateway at bestbuy or hp. Dells LCD monitors suck there of the worst kind. Dells cheap computers come with nothing good. http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=124760
You get a good package regular is 879. but after rebates its 599.99. Its a solid computer with a 200gb hard drive a decent graphics card and dvd burner. if your willing to do rebates go for it. If not try and check the ads for combo packages and you sometimes get good deals.[/QUOTE]

Im sorry. Saying a Gateway sold by a middleman is a greater deal than a Dell is rediculous. Yes, if you dont understand how to SHOP Dells, an on sale Gateway/BBuy/HP POS beats the Dell. If you know what you are doing, Dell will KILL those deals.

[quote name='supadupacheap']Im sorry. Saying a Gateway sold by a middleman is a greater deal than a Dell is rediculous. Yes, if you dont understand how to SHOP Dells, an on sale Gateway/BBuy/HP POS beats the Dell. If you know what you are doing, Dell will KILL those deals.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Plus I know Ive read several really positive reviews of Dell LCDs...

Don't buy an HP. I've had several, and have hated every single one.

I suggest you look at Dell, but try and look at what their refurbished computers. You can get the exact same thing, but for a much lower price. That's how I bought one of my desktops.

[quote name='Stargun007']Don't buy an HP. I've had several, and have hated every single one.

I suggest you look at Dell, but try and look at what their refurbished computers. You can get the exact same thing, but for a much lower price. That's how I bought one of my desktops.[/QUOTE]

That is what I did. I got a PIII, 256, 40G desktop for $200. THis would suck excep tit included a CD/DVD drive, and CD/DVD burner. Those alon were enough to warrant $100. It's one of the Optiplex machines, that use green plastic clamps to hold everything together, which make it really easy to install parts. I would go with a refurb if you want less than $500.

If you're willing to deal with rebates this actually looks like one of your best system bets.

http://officedepot.crossmediaservic...id=2279247&offerid=&L1CatID=5208&L2CatID=5209

It's an Athlon64 3200 for $1000 but with $500 off in rebates. If I were you I'd buy this now and wait for the rebates to come in and then use the rebate money to get a 20"+ lcd display from dell when they're on sale for $400. The dell LCD's usually go on sale once a month. They have been since March.

HP Media Center m7050e Photosmart Desktop Computer with AMD® Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+
with Enhanced Virus Protection
• 512MB memory
• 80GB hard drive
• 16x DVD±RW drive with LightScribe™ Direct Disc Labeling
• Windows® XP Media Center 2005
• 128MB DDR nVidia® GeForceFX™ video card
• 9-in-1 media card reader
Configuration Code: 03218191

Maybe buy a biger hard drive during a staples sale. Also, there may be some OD coupons floating around to save you an extra thirty or so.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If you're willing to deal with rebates this actually looks like one of your best system bets.

http://officedepot.crossmediaservic...id=2279247&offerid=&L1CatID=5208&L2CatID=5209[/QUOTE]

Devils advocate time. First, this deal is YMMV. It depends on your local ODepot if you can score it at this price. My OD ad has it a different config on sale but its $700 AR and no so hot.

Processor = $200
HD = $30?
Win MCE OEM = $130
Mem = $45
DVDburner = $70
Vid = $50
9 in 1 = $15
---------------
$540 with just the big stuff. Case, warranty,extras make $500 a very warm to hot deal. I hate the rebate aspect though.

Some thoughts however:

This is an MCE machine. I have no experence using MCE in a non HTPC way so I dont know how easy/difficult having it instead of XP would be for a pure use as a desktop user.

DVD burner with Lightscribe is a total waste. Light scribe-onable DVDs are outragously expensive for what they are. (so you wouldnt use it much until/if prices come down) Also, it bumps up the cost of the drive $25. (great drives can be had for $45-$50) I freaking hate lightscribe and I wouldnt spend $5 extra for it.

The video card listed isnt on HP'site at all. They list it as a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon X300 SE with TV-Out. Its about $50 I think.

Im guessing IDE hard drive. They cheap now. If SATA, add $ to my estimate.

I hate HPs. Nothing but nightmares in my experence.

Ok, so the deal hinges on the MCE aspect really. If MCE can be run as normal XP then this deal is pretty good. You have to front a lot of cash up front and keep up with rebates but it seems worth it. I still like other options better but this is a very warm deal for most, darn near hot for an MCE'er

[quote name='unctennis122']How difficult is it to build a computer? I know a little about computers, but have never built one before. The most I have done is installed an internal DVD-RW drive in my computer and put in a new graphics card. If I do what kaji7p56 suggested then what do I do with all the pieces?[/QUOTE]

If you've done those things without a problem, then you should be able to install any other components of a computer also. Most things just slot or screw into place. There's a lot of sites with step by step instructions on how to assemble everything, just google search for something like "assembling a PC" or "build your own computer". I think there was a detailed thing on gamespot.com somewhere how to put one together, it even told you when to power up and check things after each step just to troubleshoot and make things easier to identify any problems. It might take a few hours to build one because you don't always know exactly where everything needs to attach on the motherboard etc., but its still well worth it to save a couple hundred dollars.

bread's done
Back