Recent College Graduates--Did you find a job yet?

I worked 2 part-time jobs during my undergrad to graduate debt free. Grad school is significantly more expensive ($7k a quarter) so I have to take out loans. I'm going to just call it $30k for grad and undergrad so it doesn't look as bad. Maybe I'm just being egotistical thinking I can find my perfect job, but jumping at the first good thing hasn't usually worked out for me job wise.

Graduated from Frostburg State University in 2007 with a BS in Mass Communications... still have yet to find a job in my field.

Since graduation, I've worked as an Admissions Counselor and a Media Services Technician at a local university.

Fortunately I was showered with scholarships in college... so my final bill for four years of post secondary education is only $6k.

[quote name='DV8']I worked 2 part-time jobs during my undergrad to graduate debt free. Grad school is significantly more expensive ($7k a quarter) so I have to take out loans. I'm going to just call it $30k for grad and undergrad so it doesn't look as bad. Maybe I'm just being egotistical thinking I can find my perfect job, but jumping at the first good thing hasn't usually worked out for me job wise.[/QUOTE]

Again, check with the people that offered you the job. They might just pay for the MBA. They may make you wait a year, but free is free.

It's a "chore" to do work and school, but whatever. Welcome to most of life from here on out ;-)

(For what it is worth, my company paid for my MBA)

I have to agree with MrNewz here. If you can get a MBA without going into debt, go in that direction.
Education is sold by conning people into thinking a ton of debt and a few years of paperwork will turn into a perfect job. That works out about 1% or 2% of the time. If you're the top person in your class and go to the top school in your field and you're really aggressive about finding a job through internships and networking, everything will work out.
Staying out of debt is the smartest thing you can do.

Would you guys recommend getting an MBA if you have no desire to do so, but your company will pay for it? I work full time and my company pays for employee education but not sure if I am willing to invest in it. But then again, it is free education though the price I pay would be literally all of my free time.

[quote name='Kendro']Would you guys recommend getting an MBA if you have no desire to do so, but your company will pay for it? I work full time and my company pays for employee education but not sure if I am willing to invest in it. But then again, it is free education though the price I pay would be literally all of my free time.[/QUOTE]

Can you think of something better to do with your free time?

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Can you think of something better to do with your free time?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Also, for the person asking --- if you're in the business world and/or have a technical degree and are dealing in business regularly, the experience and/or having that degree is a huge plus. Looking at jobs in most fields, many apps will get to HR BECAUSE of a MBA.

Basically, what's the harm?

bread's done
Back