Recent WoW Glider court case lead to mass bannings?

Droogs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So, I have not played WoW in well over a year and a half. When I checked my email this morning, I had received an e-mail stating that my WoW account has been disabled due to breaking the ToS.

I was a user of the WoW Glider program. And had been so since it was first released. How the hell would they know that I used this program a year and a half ago?

Could they have gotten a list from winning the case?

probably was able to pick up processes or files when it scans. But I don't know if Glider is a paid software package or not... if it was real money, then yes they could get a list...

Yes, WoW Glider was software that you had to purchase. And it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I could leave it on all night, gain five levels, and have tons of gold.

[quote name='Dingleberry']Yes, WoW Glider was software that you had to purchase. And it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I could leave it on all night, gain five levels, and have tons of gold.[/quote]

Isn't the only point of the game grinding levels and getting gold?

[quote name='Dingleberry']Yes, WoW Glider was software that you had to purchase. And it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I could leave it on all night, gain five levels, and have tons of gold.[/quote]

Well that's a bot, and Blizzard found out, and since it's against their ToS, they whipped out the Ban stick. Congrats.

wow, it took them a year and half to get around to banning you? Makes you wonder if all the bot/goldfarmer ban numbers were made up to make it look like they were actually doing something about it. I know I use to report that stuff all the time when I played it, no one I reported ever got banned though. I always wondered why.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']wow, it took them a year and half to get around to banning you? Makes you wonder if all the bot/goldfarmer ban numbers were made up to make it look like they were actually doing something about it. I know I use to report that stuff all the time when I played it, no one I reported ever got banned though. I always wondered why.[/QUOTE]

They didnt have the means to find out before (as glider passed under the watchdog program they have right now), but probably got a list of users per the settlement or reverse engineered it when they got the code to find the users.

Just stop playing video games, seriously. If you have to resort to that shit, then obviously you don't have enough time to play.

[quote name='blackjaw']They didnt have the means to find out before (as glider passed under the watchdog program they have right now), but probably got a list of users per the settlement or reverse engineered it when they got the code to find the users.[/quote]

That does make sense.
However if they were seriously intent on banning people who used it, all they had to do was dip into the petty cash
(which I'm sure is pretty much bottomless at blizzard), buy a copy, and give it to their programmers to dissect.

Personally I don't buy their whole " we are serious about stopping goldfarmers/botters/hackers/we have 11 mil subscribers" bs. Numbers that can easily be made up with no proof whatsoever. It does seem to placate their rabid fans though. Blizzard coo-laid must be sweet.

Well I used it and it crashed WOW. I have not used it after that. In about 15 minutes I got I think 2 gold and a level or so. For the level I was 2 gold was a lot. I also was dead for most of that time. I have one of the cards for wow i think it is 60 days. I only plan on using it when wotlk comes out. I just want to check it out then be done with it.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']That does make sense.
However if they were seriously intent on banning people who used it, all they had to do was dip into the petty cash
(which I'm sure is pretty much bottomless at blizzard), buy a copy, and give it to their programmers to dissect.

Personally I don't buy their whole " we are serious about stopping goldfarmers/botters/hackers/we have 11 mil subscribers" bs. Numbers that can easily be made up with no proof whatsoever. It does seem to placate their rabid fans though. Blizzard coo-laid must be sweet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember reporting people on Glider a few years back...it was really easy to spot them. Look for the person moving really erratically, killing the same mob over and over again, and getting stuck or doing things a human controlled player wouldnt do. Send a PM to them and when they don't respond, report.

You can set up wow glider to respond. A friend of mine used it and got a PM from a GM. The sound woke him up so he started talking to the GM. Then a few weeks later he was banned. This was before the first expansion. He called them and they said he was power leveling. He asked them to prove he was because no one was on his account and he was sending no packets. They told him he was still banned. He said he would take them to court and reminded them of a case that was some what the same for another game and the player won. They said they would reinstate his account and he told them he wanted some epics and a shit load of gold. He ended up getting it after a few days of their bullshit.

[quote name='sendme']You can set up wow glider to respond. A friend of mine used it and got a PM from a GM. The sound woke him up so he started talking to the GM. Then a few weeks later he was banned. This was before the first expansion. He called them and they said he was power leveling. He asked them to prove he was because no one was on his account and he was sending no packets. They told him he was still banned. He said he would take them to court and reminded them of a case that was some what the same for another game and the player won. They said they would reinstate his account and he told them he wanted some epics and a shit load of gold. He ended up getting it after a few days of their bullshit.[/quote]

Utter bullshit on so many levels... Blizzard customer service doesn't get bullied anywhere near that easy, they aren't EA Games. Second there is no way in hell they would give someone items just for them throwing a tantrum, it is completely unheard of, and people bitch at Blizzard all the time. Also I highly doubt they unbanned him based on him threatening to sue, their Terms of Service state that they own the account and everything on it. You are renting service from them for your money, that is about it. They also reserve the right to terminate your access at any time for any reason.

Well could be because of the case. But anyway I'm sure Blizzard keeps logs for a long time so they maybe just now have gotten to take care of it...

they could be doing delayed banning. Valve uses it all the time, with usually a 3-4 month delay.

If you make along list of people to ban, especially when detection software finds the hack, and you ban them later, it's more difficult for the hackers to find whatever it was that tipped them off (code wise, not actionwise).

I think they only did it because of the case and didn't want to deal with it. I think it also could be because he is a big spender in wow. He has paid to jump servers about every 6 months or so and has played from about day one. Also has had at times more then 2 or 3 accounts. I used it for some time just to try it out then stopped using it. Well it was less then 2 hours that I used it. I just got back into the game with the expansion and it is pointless to powerlevel with that stuff now. in 2 days with 5 hours of play I'm from 55 to 58 almost 59. Sure that is not much but them were the levels that were a pain to level at. From what I remember before I quit playing over a year ago 60-70 was nothing also and that was before they changed how much xp you needed to get to the level and how much you got for quests and killing mobs.

I always thought the point of video games was to play them. Not use some bot to play it for you. How is that fun?

bread's done
Back