Recommend a bank

kube00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
I posted this in my blog, but im sick of using wamu. I've lost money twice...over $1000 and its been a hassle to get it back. But I do like their free checking and online bill pay.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=3364

So I'm thinking about switching to one of two local credit unions, Happo or Gesa, they have great rates, but they aren't located all over which was nice about Wamu. But here are a list of banks in the area that I would consider. Banner Bank, Bank of America, and/or US Bank (maybe).

I won't do Wells Fargo...cause my wife had money stolen out of her account twice.

Here are a few I know nothing about that are in the area:
Key Bank, Sterling Savings, Bank of the West, American West Bank, and Community First Bank.

So I was thinking a credit union for my main savings and another bigger bank for my bills/checking.

So what banks do CAgs use? Any bad experiences you would like to share?

Also I'm located in WA state...

Check out HSBC. I only use them for an online savings account, but I've had no troubles with them at all. I think they're mainly on the east coast, but I have seen some here in California as well.

[quote name='Liquid 2']BofA's been good to me, and they're looking relatively strong in the current market.[/quote]

This. If BofA ever goes under the financial sector is utterly screwed.

I love BofA so far. No complaints.

(If I have a CC and the bank goes under... am I obligated to repay the debts?)

Been using BofA exclusively since i was 18 with the free student account and haven't had a problem.
Online checking, bill pay, and everything overall works great.

Two words: Credit Unions.

Even if you move out of the local area, many of them will find ways to make your banking easier. I once lived ~4 hours away from the nearest branch of my CU; I just did my banking via online/phone, mailed in checks for deposit, and everything was hunky-dory. They even supplied the pre-addressed envelopes.

I use BofA in WA state and hate those bastards. Maybe it's just my local branch, but they're incompetent a-holes. Always have to wait like 45 minutes, have to go at least three times to fix any one problem... god I hate them.

Unfortunately for you, wachovia hasn't moved up far enough west for you. It serves me quite well over the past 2 decades, and is everywhere I am with the exception of Boston (East Coast, NV, CA, and AZ)

I have Wamu and I'm content with it, but if I do have to change, I'll go with BofA.

Or, I will go with HSBC. It helps that they have banks outside of US at places that I go for vacation, so I don't have to carry too much money when I'm traveling.

I keep my money under the floor board. I don't trust banks, not after what happened like 70 years before i was born. And.. soon to be.

Bank of America is solid. I've worked with them for years. USBank is quite excellent as well. I can't believe you don't like Wells Fargo. They're probably the safest and my favorite of all of them. I just wish they were national and had even more locations for where I'm at currently.

Bofa here for 6 years. Have not had a single problem. I use the online bill pay and its real easy to transfer money from checking to savings.

Wells Fargo lets just say my Wife a heck of a time getting her money back from them when it was stolen from her account and they have a terrible location around here and even worse hours.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Weird to see all the support for BofA. I've only heard bad things about them :/[/quote]

BofA is only bad if you are a woman and you work for the company. THat glass ceiling is mighty thick....

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Citibank/group sucks balls. Big balls.[/quote]

explain. i know they suck w/ quicken or any sort of financial software but their online interface is solid. Phone support is good if you are a gold member, u get a different tele# so i yet to talk w/ india. B&M is dead simple, swip card, punch pin, deposit money into X and done.

so with wamu being seized should I get my money and run? J/k

Also I called the Bank and it looks like they filed an encoding error and are getting my money, encoding is what I thought she said, her english was bad! I should see something in 4 bus. days.

Aww. No more Wamu. Does anyone know whether they are they keeping free checking and online bill pay (I think that was what Wamu was offering before) or not?

I had a Ciitbank account once, but when I moved away to college, it was too hard to find a Citibank bank or ATM at my college town, so I moved to Wamu.

Lol, I pulled all my money out of WaMu Monday. The teller thought I was paranoid.

Poor girl's probably looking for a job now.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Weird to see all the support for BofA. I've only heard bad things about them :/[/quote]

Same here... as for me, I'm with wamu. No panic here.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Same here... as for me, I'm with wamu. No panic here.[/quote]
I have Wamu credit card and Chase bank/credit(Amazon cc). They're ok. Still have debt in my Wamu credit.

I had a savings account back when they were... American savings? (I think?) and at the time I was broke, you'd have to keep at least $300 in savings or they charge you. Very irritating, so I ended that... Haven't found one yet to replace it but I was thinking of HBSC.

Either way, it sounds like from the show I watch called On The Money (Milf is hawt) if there was any problem from any bank I'm covered under FDIC if it's under $150,000 (I think?). It's just if you do need to use that you can't get the money really quick and I think that's what worries people.

BofA has 2 things going for it;

a - they are everywhere. I use a local credit union primarily but I'll always have my BofA account for this reason and,

b - any account that is flagged as "free with direct deposit," a bank to bank transfer counts as a DD (a couple other commercial banks don't count this.) I have a small automatic transfer setup each month (from BofA online checking) to go from my credit union to my BofA account so it never gets charged a fee if I decide not to use it.

Honestly, go with a local bank. They're small, so they'll start to know you personally and you won't have hassles when you go. Also, they won't charge as many fees on you. You might not get a free toaster, but you'll probably be able to get away with a 100% free checking account like I did.

I' have Wachovia and am pretty happy with them. I have a checking and a savings. The savings sucks, but I also have a savings account with HSBC and so far I'm pretty happy with them.

ING all the way.. still getting 3% interest on a basic savings account. wife and I made $500 so far in 2 years just on savings.

I think most bank's savings accounts really suck. I think BOA is less than 1%, I only have it open for the Keep the Change program. Other than that I'm with ING

I use a small local credit union, i've had nothing but good experiences with them. In fact, i even get my dental insurance through them for $20 a month.

Take out your money, buy supplies, a shotgun, and a house on the highest hill you can find. I recommend pooling your money with a small group so that you can partrol on shifts.

[quote name='camoor']Take out your money, buy supplies, a shotgun, and a house on the highest hill you can find. I recommend pooling your money with a small group so that you can partrol on shifts.[/QUOTE]

Very original ! This might be the 100th time in the past week i have read a comment just the same as this. :roll:

bread's done
Back