Recommend any Spaceship/Starship kind of game...

ItzTitoYo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm dying to satisfy this hunger for a spaceship/starship kind of game.

Basically looking for any recommendations on a game that lets you:
-customize your own starship
-explore vast worlds
-land on planets and explore
-space battles
-interact with others
-go on missions
-have elements of an rpg/mmo

Been looking at EvE Online, but would like to know of any other games I can look into that has some of the elements that I'm looking for.

Thanks! :bouncy:

Awesome list Megazell... let me know when you have those up and running. Can't believe you have Red Alert on there! Took me way back... if you have the original CnC from Westwood (with the ore trucks that look like a centipede) then you would be taking me wayyyyyyyy back.

I don't know much, but I did remember playing a game call Star Trek: Starfleet Academy 3. It's kinda similar to what you are looking for, but all single player (I think?). I gave up on the game early because it's too technical for me.

I remember my old housemate played a game called Freelancer. It also fits the categories you have listed, but I'm not sure whether it's single or multiplayer.

Freespace 2 was fun, but strictly space-battles. Mass Effect for $5 recently was a great deal, but no space/flying...RPG only.

Star Control II is a VERY oldie but goodie...

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']Awesome list Megazell... let me know when you have those up and running. Can't believe you have Red Alert on there! Took me way back... if you have the original CnC from Westwood (with the ore trucks that look like a centipede) then you would be taking me wayyyyyyyy back.[/QUOTE]

That's there dude :) It's listed under CnC: Gold :)

[quote name='chrisnsally']Freespace 2 was fun, but strictly space-battles. Mass Effect for $5 recently was a great deal, but no space/flying...RPG only.

Star Control II is a VERY oldie but goodie...[/QUOTE]

There is a Privateer Remake - The OFFICIAL site is down (maintenance). When it comes back up I will post that one.

Cool Thanks guys...I'll definitely check those games out...

I was considering Mass Effect, but do you get to fly/steer your own ship? Either way it sounds great.

What do you guys think about EvE?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ItzTitoYo']Cool Thanks guys...I'll definitely check those games out...

I was considering Mass Effect, but do you dont get to fly/steer your own ship? Either way it sounds great.

What do you guys think about EvE?[/QUOTE]

I tried EVE. In theory I love it. When I tried it the community was extremely hostile towards new players. I mean...Out of the starting dock players were getting blasted. Logged off tried again some time later...blasted...etc. I never went back but it seemed really cool.

Did you DL all of the free ones I posted? They are scattered throughout the thread but one of them that is really really sim like is Babylon 5. The link I put up takes to the mod sites also.

Damn Megazell sorry to hear about your EvE experience.... I browsed through them but haven't downloaded any, yet... by the way I noticed CnC Gold after I placed my second post above...

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']I was considering Mass Effect, but do you get to fly/steer your own ship? Either way it sounds great. [/QUOTE]

No... at best you control a Halo-type warthog vehicle. It's a great game nonetheless, but not if you're looking for spaceship steering.

Problem with EVE is that guys have been playing it for almost 10 years now, and it's nearly impossible for newbies to jump into. The only real way to get into it is join an existing corp owned by friends and let them take you under their wing.

EvE Online would be the closest thing that would match your needs but it is extremely unforgiving game not too mention filled with hostile players.

The next best thing would be the X series, the latest game being X Terran Conflict.

Freelancer seems cool...but isn't it multiplayer also?... found a couple youtube videos and it seems like fun

LOL about EvE...I'm going to download the free trial and check it out anyway... its a shame the developers haven't addressed that problem considering it would deter anyone from joining their community...oh well!

I'll check out the others too...

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']
I was considering Mass Effect, but do you get to fly/steer your own ship? Either way it sounds great. [/QUOTE]
No. The only vehicle you ever get to control directly is a moon buggy/tank thing. It's widely considered to be the worst part of the game, though it's not as bad on the PC as the console version.

X Terran Conflict is wicked!! Wow! Build your own starship and even capital ship, are you serious?! It seems that it's also unforgiving like EvE with people being apart of the series for several years and it seems you need to get aquainted with the forums before you head in.... what lame practices now-a-days

Can anyone comment about Star Trek online? It was recommended as well as some Star Wars games that allow you to step outside your ship, walk around, get back in and explore....which ones would be ok to look into?

Eve was actually just updated recently with some graphics changes to make it look pretty awesome to fly around in. It is however a very complex game that is very unforgiving if you don't know what you're doing (and it can take a long time to learn what you're doing).

Freelancer was also a fantastic game. A bit old but I remember enjoying quite a bit when I first played.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']Universal Combat.[/QUOTE]

Just posted Battlecruiser Millennium and the link the UC in the free gaming section :)

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']X Terran Conflict is wicked!! Wow! Build your own starship and even capital ship, are you serious?! It seems that it's also unforgiving like EvE with people being apart of the series for several years and it seems you need to get aquainted with the forums before you head in.... what lame practices now-a-days[/QUOTE]

Actually the game is geard for solo play so it's not as harsh as EvE Online but the learning curve is very steep :)

I highly recommend Star Trek Bridge Commander. It's easily the best Starship game I've ever played. The ship controls well, the combat is fun, the story is decent (especially if you're a Star Trek fan) and it has tons of mods that make it even better.

The only downside is that it's no longer in print and used prices on eBay are very high, though I'm sure you can think of other ways to acquire the game for far less.

I don't play MMO's anymore but I recently have been catching TNG re-runs on TV. Since then, I've searched thoroughly for a good Star Trek game. STO (Star Trek Online) is coming out in February made by Cryptic Studios who apparently does "Champions Online". They will have episodic missions where you beam down as well as space combat. To start you can be Klingons or The Federation with the possibly more races in the future.

To say the least, I'm hyped looking forward to the open beta in January. Also I wouldn't mind if we got our own group together for playing online if the game turns out to be good.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']...

What do you guys think about EvE?[/QUOTE]

I'm a new player in EvE and pretty much agree with the comments made above. It took me a solid month at a casual pace to even understand how to play the game. If you're looking to put a lot of effort in, I hear it can be rewarding.

I updated the Free and Legal Gaming post with some space combat sims so I think you have a total of 20 to play around with some of which have huge online communities. Enjoy :)

[quote name='seen']I don't play MMO's anymore but I recently have been catching TNG re-runs on TV. Since then, I've searched thoroughly for a good Star Trek game. STO (Star Trek Online) is coming out in February made by Cryptic Studios who apparently does "Champions Online". They will have episodic missions where you beam down as well as space combat. To start you can be Klingons or The Federation with the possibly more races in the future.

To say the least, I'm hyped looking forward to the open beta in January. Also I wouldn't mind if we got our own group together for playing online if the game turns out to be good.[/QUOTE]

LOL...wayyy too familiar with Cryptic Studios. I was a huge fan of CoH since launch and was with them for 3+ years. Was apart of their community and such, but can rekindle some crappy memories of development on their part. They seem to have taken a blow with their loss of the Marvel contract, but nonetheless their Champions Online didn't haul me over at all.

I'll check out the game and see whats going on since I've always loved Star Trek. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='Nohbdy']Escape Velocity.[/QUOTE]
I remember playing that game a long time ago. It was pretty fun although I don't remember there being very much to do. Are there any newer top down asteroids style space ship games where you earn money through looting other ships and trading in order to get newer ships/weapons/mercenaries?

bread's done
Back