Recommend gamepad/controllers compatible with 64bit Win7?

uricmu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have some games on the PC that I'd like to play with a controller rather than keyboard/mouse (e.g., Batman, Fuel, etc.)

I own several 360 controllers, but they're wireless, and for $20 that is charged on fleabay for the adapter it looks like I can get a decent PC controller.

However, searching on the egg and Amazon shows a scary scarcity of new controllers. Seems like only a 5 year old Rumblepad 2 is the only option, and my understanding that there may be no driver support on 64 bit win7.

Any recommendations?

If you have PS3 controller you can use it on the PC with a 3rd party program (don't recall the name off hand), or if you have an PS2 controller you can get an adapter to hook it up to the PC and use said 3rd party software.

Gamepads aren't too popular on the PC as you found out, joysticks/wheels/pedals are about the only things extra people buy.

If you don't have a PS2/3 controller, you probably are just best off buying the wireless adapter imo.

I'm on XP and Linux. But when I head to tournaments and lan I usually end up lending a gamepad to some players and some of them are running 64 bit Win 7.

Here are the ones that I use that after borrowing them many others buy:

Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 Game pad - 12 button - $9.99 to $19.99

s5wqco.jpg

LOGITECH DUAL ACTION GAMEPAD - $5.99 to $14.99

e0sv0g.jpg

Saitek P220 Digital Pad - $7.99

2lm8eig.jpg

I play all PC games via gamepad. I use this if they don't accept gamepads:

[quote name='Megazell']
Software Spotlight

JoyToKey

This software is a keyboard emulator for joysticks.
It converts joystick input into keyboard input (and mouse input).

Use it when you want to control an application with joysticks that doesn't support joystick input. If you wish, you can control even Word, Excel, etc. with joysticks!

Megazell's Comment - Sometimes I take for granted all the little programs I dl and have installed to make PC gaming easier. This is such a program. I been using this one and variations of it for years. It helps a lot when you have games that should have gamepad support but don't. Must have for all PC gamers.

Download it here - http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey English Version.htm
Click Here!

For The Full List Of 'Free And Legal PC Games.'​
[/QUOTE]

Now if you want to really save some dough I would get what you need to get those 360s working on your rig as is.

But you do have lots of options.

Logitech has software for the rumblepad 2 series of gamepads for Win 7 64 bit. I just checked.

Personally I would recommend either the 360 wireless adapter or getting a rumblepad (which is a PS2 controller basically). It all depends on your preferred controller layout.

The Rumplepad was nice, up until the receiver died on me a year later. If you were so use to the PS2 controller, it made the transition easier.

Yea 360 controller all the way.

I'd go with original XBOX controller modded for PC use using the latest drivers and setting your 7 into test mode because Micro$oft is becoming dickish and will only allow digitally signed drivers to work with 7 unless you're in test mode. They're trying to turn Windows into a closed platform, it seems.

I wouldn't go with the 360 controller because it has issues with older games. It uses Xinput rather than Directinput, and while you can use most functions of the controller in Directinput-only games, you'll find that the triggers don't play nice if the game doesn't support Xinput. Yet another way Micro$oft is trying to turn Windows into a closed platform. Only time will tell if Xinput will catch on, but I would vote with your dollar and your usage by not using Xinput.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']@Mega, those first 2 controllers have terrible joysticks. They're square and it's incredibly annoying.[/QUOTE]

???

I have them in front of me they are circle and very comfortable.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'd go with original XBOX controller modded for PC use using the latest drivers and setting your 7 into test mode because Micro$oft is becoming dickish and will only allow digitally signed drivers to work with 7 unless you're in test mode. They're trying to turn Windows into a closed platform, it seems.

I wouldn't go with the 360 controller because it has issues with older games. It uses Xinput rather than Directinput, and while you can use most functions of the controller in Directinput-only games, you'll find that the triggers don't play nice if the game doesn't support Xinput. Yet another way Micro$oft is trying to turn Windows into a closed platform. Only time will tell if Xinput will catch on, but I would vote with your dollar and your usage by not using Xinput.[/QUOTE]

You can circumvent that with the software I posted above.

[quote name='Megazell']???

I have them in front of me they are circle and very comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't mean the actual rubber joystick. I mean the plastic around the base of it.

[quote name='Megazell']You can circumvent that with the software I posted above.[/QUOTE]

Joy2Key? I wasn't able to get that working in 64-bit 7, and it still doesn't help when doing analog stuff unless you know something I don't. And if it hasn't been updated to support Xinput, I still doubt its usability.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Sorry, I don't mean the actual rubber joystick. I mean the plastic around the base of it.[/QUOTE]

OK? But how does that affect their use? I use my P220 for my fighting games but everything else I use the other pads and never had a issue with them and they never felt uncomfortable or hindered.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Joy2Key? I wasn't able to get that working in 64-bit 7, and it still doesn't help when doing analog stuff unless you know something I don't. And if it hasn't been updated to support Xinput, I still doubt its usability.[/QUOTE]

Tonight, I will be playing some games with ppl that use the OS and Joy2Key...I will see what they have to say.

[quote name='Megazell']Tonight, I will be playing some games with ppl that use the OS and Joy2Key...I will see what they have to say.[/QUOTE]

So, what's the verdict?

[quote name='Chuplayer']So, what's the verdict?[/QUOTE]

Well for the most part most of the said that it works 100% with the games they play it with. Most of them play freeware games like me though. One of them was playing AC2 with it with no problem.

[quote name='Megazell']I'm on XP and Linux. But when I head to tournaments and lan I usually end up lending a gamepad to some players and some of them are running 64 bit Win 7.

Here are the ones that I use that after borrowing them many others buy:

Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 Game pad - 12 button - $9.99 to $19.99

s5wqco.jpg

LOGITECH DUAL ACTION GAMEPAD - $5.99 to $14.99

e0sv0g.jpg

Saitek P220 Digital Pad - $7.99

2lm8eig.jpg

I play all PC games via gamepad. I use this if they don't accept gamepads:

Now if you want to really save some dough I would get what you need to get those 360s working on your rig as is.

But you do have lots of options.[/QUOTE]

Where are you finding those pads at those prices? Are you finding them at close-out stores or unauthorized knock-off stores? Let me know because I would like to buy an extra pad. I sure can't find them at those prices?

You can also just get a Gamestop wired 360 controller for use on your pc. I wasnt about to pay the rediculous prices asked for the adapter but for 25 or less the wired 360 controller works great imo.

[quote name='mogamer']Where are you finding those pads at those prices? Are you finding them at close-out stores or unauthorized knock-off stores? Let me know because I would like to buy an extra pad. I sure can't find them at those prices?[/QUOTE]

There are a few places in NYC that sell them @ those prices.

Staples, Hal and Terry's Gift Shop, Amazing Savings and Radio Shack (Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 comes with a $10 rebate sticker).

[quote name='Megazell']There are a few places in NYC that sell them @ those prices.

Staples, Hal and Terry's Gift Shop, Amazing Savings and Radio Shack (Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 comes with a $10 rebate sticker).[/QUOTE]

No websites for Hal and Terry's. Also Staples and Radio Shack didn't have those kinds of prices online. So it's basically as I thought. Overstocks, close-outs and YMMV deals.

[quote name='Megazell']Well for the most part most of the said that it works 100% with the games they play it with. Most of them play freeware games like me though. One of them was playing AC2 with it with no problem.[/QUOTE]

Assassin's Creed 2? Did they have full analog control, assuming that game has analog control that matters to begin with? Because if they were just jerking the camera around at maximum speed, then it's not analog. I don't even know if that game has camera controls like that. Just hypothesizing.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Assassin's Creed 2? Did they have full analog control, assuming that game has analog control that matters to begin with? Because if they were just jerking the camera around at maximum speed, then it's not analog. I don't even know if that game has camera controls like that. Just hypothesizing.[/QUOTE]

I have no clue. If I can remember I will ask again. Retail games, bah! :)

[quote name='Megazell']I have no clue. If I can remember I will ask again. Retail games, bah! :)[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, and 7 64-bit and Xinput.

Omg please do yourself a favor and get an Xbox 360 controller!

The USB version works right out of the box (with windows xp and up), and the wireless ones require the $20 or so wireless adapter.

Accept no substitutes...

Unless you are looking to play fighting games, and/or solely old 2d emulation stuff that doesn't really require the use of an analog stick...in which case look for a ps2 controller and get a USB adapter.

[quote name='tekworm']Omg please do yourself a favor and get an Xbox 360 controller!

The USB version works right out of the box (with windows xp and up), and the wireless ones require the $20 or so wireless adapter.

Accept no substitutes...[/QUOTE]

Ugh, so many sheep that don't know what Xinput is doing to them.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Ugh, so many sheep that don't know what Xinput is doing to them.[/QUOTE]

They seem to be everywhere.

BTW - My friend said yes to all of the above and his controller was less than $5.00 bucks.

bread's done
Back