Recommend me RPGs

LeafPanda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some RPGs for the DS. Also, you can recommend me any type of game, but mainly RPGs. The thing is that the official thread for recommendations is sort of defunct.
P.S.: These games don't have to be North American. Japan and other regions are fine.
Alright, Thanks in Advance.

I don't really own many RPGs for the DS so I'm going say some I heard are good.

The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy IV
ummmmm

What kind of RPGs are you looking for? SRPGs, action RPGs, turn based RPGs, roguelike RPGs, Sim RPG, etc.

My picks for best in each category:

SRPG - Luminous Arc
ARPG - Rocket Slime [or Zelda if you consider that an RPG]
TB RPG- Final Fantasy 4
Roguelike - Shiren the Wanderer
Sim RPG - Harvest Moon
etc - Etrian Odyssey 2

Next to TWEWY, Contact is my favorite RPG for the DS. It plays somewhat similar too. The NA translation is really well done and everything has this cute self-referential flavor.

I also mildly enjoyed Orcs & Elves, Lost Magic, and Magical Starsign. They're not triple-A titles but they have their share of good moments.

Shiren the Wanderer is probably one of the best games on the system, but it's a roguelike and not a straight character RPG so it's hit-or-miss with a lot of people.

oh, and Etrian Odyssey is an amazing WRPG if that's what you're into.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thesimplicity']
oh, and Etrian Odyssey is an amazing WRPG if that's what you're into.[/quote]

WRPG?

I would recommend Luminous Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (playing right now), Final Fantasy III & IV (looking for a used copy of IV right now), Pokemon Diamond, & Contact.

Also Disgaea, Rhapsody, & Dragon Quest IV are coming out soon too.

I think Mario and Luigi Partners in Time was the only RPG on the DS I enjoyed. There's a lot of RPGs on the system but most of them are mediocre, at best.

Haven't played FFIV and TWEWY yet though.

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time looks okay. Any great things happen in it Vinny? What do you guys make of the Sonic RPG that coming out in October?

dunno if you played any of the mario rpg like paper mario and mario and luigi, but partmer in time is like that with great humor.

Sonic RPG - Bioware is making it so a lot of people are excited.

[quote name='laaj']WRPG?[/quote]
Sorry, Western RPG. I guess that term isn't well used anymore. The way my genre classes in college taught it was there were two main branches of computer RPGs: Western and Character. Western mainly uses a first person view and focuses on 'rolling' your avatar. Character would be stuff like Final Fantasy, where the game is meant to support the narrative.

I just picked up Orcs and Elves for $15 at Target which seems like a decent deal for a budget rpg if you are looking. It's $30 on Amazon.

edit: I think I'm going to pre-order the Sonic rpg for the styli and because it's a bioware product ... but the gameplay from E3 was pretty slow looking.

bread's done
Back