Recommend some JRPGs for a n00b.

graf1k

CAGiversary!
Feedback
99 (100%)
So for pretty much my entire gaming life I have avoided turn-based RPGs like the plague because I could never really get used to random battles and the battle system in general (although I admit I only tried about 3 games ever). Not to mention no voice acting turned me off. I was even hesitant about Oblivion before I bought (and loved) it, and since then I've been in a mood to give eastern RPGs another chance, especially as I hear battle systems are being tweaked and voice acting has become more or less the norm (however bad it is, at least it is there).

However, I don't want to dive in head-long and find out I've gotten in over my head, so I was hoping fellow CAGs could suggest some turn-based and/or JRPGs with a good decent story and not too complex of a fighting system to ease me in. Open to pretty much anything as it's all new to me.

Basically my current RPG experience extends to KOTOR 1 & 2, Oblivion, about half of Jade Empire and technically the last 3 Zelda games if you actually count those are RPGs, if that helps any.

[quote name='62t']Kingdom Hearts. If you want turn base try Final Fantasy X.[/QUOTE]

FFX is horrible IMHO... the best turn based game out there has to be FF Tactics.
I also reccomend Vagrant Story.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']FFX is horrible IMHO... the best turn based game out there has to be FF Tactics.
I also reccomend Vagrant Story.[/QUOTE]

FFX was not horrible. Some people are bound to not like it though because its different from other Final Fantasy games. But like you said it is your opinion.

go for grandia ii, its not the greatest. but its not over the top hard and there arent any random battles. like i said, its not the best but its easier to do that one then say try to jump in with dragon quest 8.

and grandia games are like final fantasy, not related. so dont worry about the 2.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']FFX was not horrible. Some people are bound to not like it though because its different from other Final Fantasy games. But like you said it is your opinion.[/QUOTE]

FFX has a good turn based battle system, same with the Grandia games... I'd recommend them to someone who wants to give turn based battling a chance again.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']FFX was not horrible. Some people are bound to not like it though because its different from other Final Fantasy games. But like you said it is your opinion.[/QUOTE]

exactly. I hope I didn't come off as it not being my opinion. In terms of my opinion, it's a horrible game. But in terms of what the norms seem to be, it's a great game.

Oh, and it's not that it was so different from most final fantasys (actually it was pretty darn close to FF8), it's that it was too "Pop"y... if that's even a word.

Final Fantasy VII or X serve as some of the best RPGs to get you started. They're pretty easy to pick up and play and I thought that they both had very good storylines.

[quote name='Chacrana']Final Fantasy VII or X serve as some of the best RPGs to get you started. They're pretty easy to pick up and play and I thought that they both had very good storylines.[/QUOTE]

on that note, Final Fantasy Tactics can be somewhat of an overwhelming game for people that don't like details.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']on that note, Final Fantasy Tactics can be somewhat of an overwhelming game for people that don't like details.[/QUOTE]

That's why I didn't list FFT, Dragon Quest VIII, or the SMT games... those would just immediately kick a noob's ass.

[quote name='Chacrana']Final Fantasy VII or X serve as some of the best RPGs to get you started. They're pretty easy to pick up and play and I thought that they both had very good storylines.[/QUOTE]

Those are good choices to get started on. However if I had to choose a few RPGs to get someone started on I would suggest that they play (And point them in the direction of a good walkthrough):

Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 4 and 6

These games are unquestionably at least as good as anything to come out in the past few years and unfortunately a lot of people new to RPGs cannot accept them due to their dated graphics. I played all of these at least to near completion in 1997-98 before playing FF7 and I am glad I did because it really gave me an appreciation where it came from.

Also the op said voice acting is important, so I am not sure why peopel are suggesting so many old games.

Yeah, I mean voice acting isn't a deal breaker, but I'd prefer newer stuff of the last 5 years or so. PS2 stuff mostly as opposed to PS1.

I know you said turn-based, but you might want to try Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Legendia. They have real time battle systems, but they're both great games. They have random battles, they're just in real time.

Shadow Hearts gets a vote from me.

I also really liked Wild Arms 4. I was surprised at how fun it was.

Doesn't have to be turned based (actually I already like action RPGs quite a bit) but to my knowledge most JRPGs out are turn-based. But I'm not opposed to any suggestions of good real-time JRPGs or any good western RPGs for that matter.

How about some old SNES RPGs. I'm not very fond of the random battles at all, but I enjoy turn-based RPGs when the enemies are right there and they come after you.

Some suggestions:
- Earthbound
- Super Mario RPG
- Chrono Trigger
- Secret of Mana (Not turn-based, but awesome and has RPG elements)

I would suggest "Dragon Force". It's easy Strategy and like crack. Ask Rei.

It's got some details in it but once you get it down you'll LOVE it! It singlehandly turned me back to trying Strategy RPG's again after Ogre Battle so thoroughly pissed me off with it's reputation meter.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Shadow Hearts. I'll recommend that to anyone, new or not.[/quote]

The first one, Covenant, From the New World, or all three?

The first and Covenant. I thought the 3rd one was a huge disappointment. The story just didn't live up to the plot from the first two games.

bread's done
Back