Recommendation on Hard Drive replacement

erequena

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Fellow cags

I posted this question on the Hard drive upgrade threat but got no response soooooo: To those that have upgraded their hard drives, which specific model/make can you recommend? Preferably that you've used. I'm looking at WD Scorpio blue and Seagate Momentus. Any thoughts?

My PS3 is a slim 120Gb

Thank you in advance

[quote name='erequena']Fellow cags

I posted this question on the Hard drive upgrade threat but got no response soooooo: To those that have upgraded their hard drives, which specific model/make can you recommend? Preferably that you've used. I'm looking at WD Scorpio blue and Seagate Momentus. Any thoughts?

My PS3 is a slim 120Gb

Thank you in advance[/QUOTE]

I've used a 320mb and a 500mb Scorpio Blue in my Fat and my Slim without issue. I endorse them. Seagate came native in my new slim (160) so they are probably fine. My thoughts - whatever is cheapest at and gets you the most GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh - and feel fortunate that you are working on a slim. They put far less torque on that screw to unlock the HD than they did in the fatty's. I almost stripped my screw (lots of people did) when replacing them on the fatboy. Anyway, just patience and make sure you backup your data first. Delete anything that you can (downloaded games, etc...) as it will save space.

I've heard a lot about that stripped screw. Is it the one that holds the entire HD bay to the console? or one of the 4 screws that holds the hd to the sliding tray? I'll probably buy a special screwdriver just for this to avoid that.

It was the four screws that held the HDD to the tray. I stripped the screws on mine and nearly on another PS3 too. They were just stuck in there and wouldn't even budge. Glad to hear they're not as tight now.

I was talking about the one for the HD bay. Horrible on the original fat PS3's. While you could strip the screws on the HD, the HD bay screw was way worse. They completely changed that, and how the HD sits and is screwed into its bay on the slims.

I have a 500 gig samsung spinpoint 5400 rpm in my fat 80 gig. Been working great for the past 7 months or so.

Never had issues with the screws. Very easy swap.

[quote name='Barnolde']EDIT: Regarding the screw, if you're stripping it, the screwdriver is too small. THE BIGGER THE SCREWDRIVER THE BETTER[/QUOTE]
Cheaper the screw the more likely you are to strip it regardless of screw driver size, I usually only strip Philip's headed screws at work though. Philips heads are the worst and they really should have used any other type of screw head, they're not reliable enough to risk getting stuck in a computer where you might have to drill it out. The screws on the new Slim really are quite nice, nice quality and thicker heads, the smaller sized Philips tip does the trick just fine.

[quote name='Barnolde']
EDIT: Regarding the screw, if you're stripping it, the screwdriver is too small. THE BIGGER THE SCREWDRIVER THE BETTER[/QUOTE]

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. You need to be patient, apply a proper amount of torque, and don't force it if you have a fat PS3. I did several of these and the problem is how they were tightened.

With that said, for the fat PS3 you need the proper sized bit for it - not too big of a bit, not too small. I know which one I used for the fat PS3, I just need to refresh myself on the number. PM me if you need it.

As for the slims, this was completely redone and you should not strip that unless you try to loosen it by turning it clockwise or you use jeweler screwdrivers.

[quote name='ZCG']I ordered from Amazon this WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB for $44.72 (free S&H, no tax for me in CA). Newegg sells the identical item (reviews from PS3 owners giving praise) for $54, but add tax & possibly .99 cents to 7.99 shipping (depends on the day >.>)

Here is Amazon's link:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...D5000BPVT/dp/B0037NYQ6Q/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude! Just purchased this drive. The one I was looking at is priced at 53.99 (It's different model, but all specs seem to be the same), and this one never appeared on my searches, so thank you for saving me $10!

bread's done
Back