recommendations for portable hard drive enclosure (PS3 60GB)

ragingst0rm6

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
I'm planning on upgrading my PS3 to the WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB, 5400 RPM Bulk/OEM Laptop Drive soon, and I'd like to turn the original 60GB drive into a portable drive. Since I don't know much about portable hard drive enclosures, I'm looking for a good deal (preferably $20 or less, although I'm willing to be flexible) on a reliable enclosure and/or some answers to a couple of questions I have.

1. Does the enclosure itself have anything to do with Mac/PC compatibility? I wouldn't think so, but I'd like to double-check since I work with both types.

2. I've seen some (pricier) enclosures offer Firewire connections. Out of curiosity, are Firewire ports becoming standard enough on non-Macs to invest in, or is the general consensus to use USB 2.0 while waiting for the 3.0?

3. The WD Scorpio Blue 500 GB, 5400 RPM Bulk/OEM Laptop Drive is currently $49.99 on Amazon. With Black Friday in a couple of months, how likely am I to get a better deal for a replacement PS3 drive? I have less than 2 gigs left, so I'm buying this drive now, lol.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. No. As long as it is USB 2.0 it would work for either a Mac or PC computer. If it contains FireWire, then it is dependent on your Mac/PC ports.

2. FireWire isn't a standard on pre-built PC's but all of mine have them. I really like the speeds when moving data from my storage unit to the other PC's. USB 2.0 is still universal but man those speeds hurt. For the PS3, it will be your only option so if you want the added FW port, that's your call.

3. That's good price but don't be shocked if you see it cheaper, down the road. It's the nature of electronics. I bought my 320GB HDD last year for much more. If you want the drive now, then go for it.

Thanks for answering my questions. Can anyone recommend a particular brand or price point so that I have a place to start doing more research? Thanks.

i stuck my old ps3 drive in a cheap Nippon Labs from newegg ($12). not the best build quality, but it works great and doesnt need an AC adapter. the drive fits slightly loose inside too. you would need to format it with your PC or mac to use as a regular external hdd, so make sure you have all your stuff on the new ps3 hard drive before you wipe it.

i havent used any of the nicer enclosures, so i cant comment on them, i guess its just a matter of whether you want to spend a little extra. as for the firewire, id say it wouldnt be worth it unless you are planning on using the enclosure with a bigger driver later. with 60 gigs, i never really move a ton of files to/from the drive just cause its small. if you plan on moving alot of hd videos and such, maybe it would be worth it to you, i dunno. anyways, good luck!

bread's done
Back