Recommendations on decent ear buds for iPod?

norkusa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
The ear buds that came with my 5.5 gen video iPod are starting to fall apart. A few days ago, I bought these to replace them (only paid $8.60 for them though):

http://www.amazon.com/MAXELL-191208...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193423830&sr=8-6

The thing is they suck twice as bad as the stock Apple earbuds. Sound is very muffled and not as clear as the Apple ones. Can anyone recommend me some decent earbuds with good sound quality? Only looking to spend around $20 max. These JBuds look nice and get good reviews. Should I go for these or are there some better ones out there?:

http://www.amazon.com/JBuds-Hi-Fi-N...34270888&itemPosition=2&qid=1193424058&sr=8-2

[quote name='captainfrizo']I use these from Philips and love them:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HE591-Surround-Sound-Earbuds/dp/B0001OY2VS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8962405-6165260?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193463306&sr=8-1[/quote]

I highly recommend against getting these philips earbuds. The sound quality is good for the price but the rubber sound stopper pieces are very easy to lose and you can't purchase extras. Thus if you happen to pull your ipod out of your pocket/bag/whatever and the rubber stopper comes off one of the earbuds and is lost you just wasted 20 bucks and have to go purchase a whole new pair of earbuds.

This isn't a problem with other sound blocking earbuds because the rubber stoppers most of them use are firmly fastened to the earbuds. But with the philips pair above the stoppers can be pulled off extremely easily and will probably happen very frequently.

I am presently using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE9500-Ultra-Sound-Headphones/dp/B000G35RYK

The sound is great and there is no chance to lose the sound stoppers. The major flaws i see with this product is that, like many sets of earbuds, these use the asymetrical cable system which has one earbud cable longer than the other requiring you to wrap one around the back of your neck. Personally i DESPISE this because it constantly feels like one of the earbuds is getting caught on something or pulling on one of my ears. The second flaw with this product which happens to make the first flaw even worse is that halfway down the earbud cord there is an additional male/female jack. I suppose this may add extra functionality if you wanted to have other people listen to your ipod and you happened to have a splitter or something, but for normal day to day use it adds nothing but extra weight on the cord which in turn creates more pull on the earbuds.

If those problems don't really bother you than i would recommend these earbuds as I have not found ANY other with as good sound quality for the price. Personally I would be willing to pay an extra 15-20 bucks if I could get a pair of buds with this sound quality but without the annoying drawbacks.

How are the Marshmallows for sound isolation?

I'm not too concerned with isolated outside sound, but really want to avoid others being able to hear my music (I want to use my Zune while at my school's Math/Engineering Learning Center, a study area). It's pretty important that my music does not distract other students.

[quote name='Koggit']How are the Marshmallows for sound isolation?

I'm not too concerned with isolated outside sound, but really want to avoid others being able to hear my music (I want to use my Zune while at my school's Math/Engineering Learning Center, a study area). It's pretty important that my music does not distract other students.[/quote]You won't have a music-leakage problem with the Marshmallows. They do a good job of keeping the music in.

[quote name='chesspiece_face']But with the philips pair above the stoppers can be pulled off extremely easily and will probably happen very frequently.
[/QUOTE]

I've been using them for well over a year and never once have they come close to slipping off. I've never had to push them back on or adjust them either.

I can sell you brand new apple brand ear buds for a nice price. Let me know.

The Yuin PK-series are supposedly some of the nicest sounding earbuds available atm. Prices on the entry-level PK3 are around $25-35.

For the money, I've always been a fan of the Sony MDR-EX71s. Super comfortable in comparison to the crappy iPod earbuds. I have two pair and love 'em.

bread's done
Back