Recording XBL footage/audio?

mykevermin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (97%)
So, most of us have seen the "chocolate milk" video. I want to know what technique they might have used to capture the audio and video of their XBL match? Also, how can I be sure I'm recording the conversation of the actual *players*? I recall playing Halo 2 w/out the mic, and the player's speech came through the television. Are all XBL games like this, or will I need to use something else to capture the live speech?

I'm considering a study of speech/conversation in the middle of XBL games; I need to understand the technical aspect of it before designing a research model; otherwise, I'll have everything I need except the means of capturing the data.

I would *think* that a VCR is really all I would need, but I'm worried that it won't capture all of the live speech that would typically come through headphones.

Thanks for your help; if I realistically go through with this, it probably won't start until February. However, finding a way to combine my pleasure interests with something substantive to my career would be fantastic!

sometimes there are options in games where you want to hear the speech come from on some games. (out of headset, out of speakers, both) Of course you could always slice the wires going to the headphone and solder them onto an RCA plug and use an RCA splitter to connect that signal with the audio signal coming from the xbox (or just go sans xbox sound all together).

I always ask how to do this because I say some funny shit that needs to be captured so more than just the 8-15 people in the game can laugh.

The way I do it is fairly simple:

- One digital camcorder with a "FireWire" port.
- One FireWire-enabled video card.
- One FireWire wire. ;)

I record the footage through the television set, so both the television and camcorder can see/hear the video.

Then I transfer it to my PC via-FireWire and edit the footage in Adobe Premiere.

The only way to record voice, from my experience, is setting the voice output (in the game) to come out through the T.V. speakers. There's no way to capture your own voice, though, which eats ass. You could probably do a voice over with a PC mic, but that'd be a little on the shit-side.

[quote name='Brak']The way I do it is fairly simple:

- One digital camcorder with a "FireWire" port.
- One FireWire-enabled video card.
- One FireWire wire. ;)

I record the footage through the television set, so both the television and camcorder can see/hear the video.

Then I transfer it to my PC via-FireWire and edit the footage in Adobe Premiere.

The only way to record voice, from my experience, is setting the voice output (in the game) to come out through the T.V. speakers. There's no way to capture your own voice, though, which eats ass. You could probably do a voice over with a PC mic, but that'd be a little on the shit-side.[/QUOTE]

It would be totally inauthentic, too. Chances are I'd not be talking online, since I want to play the role of "observer" more than "participant." Thanks for the advice; now I just need all three of those fucking things. Eek, $$$.

JimmieMac, I'll certainly try to recruit you; I can't just randomly tape players, I have to inform them they're being recorded (I'd get in some serious shit if I didn't). with that in mind, I have to use some means of recruiting either individual players, or possibly clans as well (I imagine that clans communicate better than a group of randomly appropriated individuals do, so it'd be important to differentiate).

Hmm. I have a dazzle digital bridge; back when I had my mac, I used to try to convert my VHS tapes to DVD that way. Maybe I'll do that. Yeah, that's the ticket!

[quote name='mykevermin']It would be totally inauthentic, too. Chances are I'd not be talking online, since I want to play the role of "observer" more than "participant." Thanks for the advice; now I just need all three of those fucking things. Eek, $$$.[/QUOTE]

I took my friend's digital camcorder (I'm a verbal con-man, sadly...), my dad got the card for free from his work and my video editing instructor gave me the FireWire for free.

But, you could probably nab all three items for as little as $350.

Also, I've thought about rigging a second head set that would record my voice as I record the video, to maybe a cassette deck... but I decided against it, as it is too much of a hastle.

you could just ask the CAG clan to record them. we occasionally come up with a few gems that are entertaining.

Record me playing 1 Flag CTF Fast on Lockout and you will have all of the speech you need.

Step 1: Acquire Xbox, VCR, TV, VHS Tapes, & Xbox Live with a headset
Step 2: Connect Xbox output into VCR input then VCR output into TV input
Step 3: Turn on Xbox (sign in to Xbox Live), VCR, TV
Step 4: Place VHS tape into VCR and press "RECORD" button on VCR
Step 5: Play Halo 2 with sount output on TV only
Step 6: Study VHS film

I did that to create two Halo 2 vidoes. One of which contains a lot of conversation between players in game:

IN THE VIDEO CHEAPASSGAMER HALO 2 CLAN VIDEO -->http://www.cheapassgamer.com/halo videos/inthevideoFINALmpeg1.mpg (right click save as)

FAREWELL MONTAGE VIDEO -->http://www.cheapassgamer.com/halo videos/FAREWELLfinalvideompeg1.mpg

LINK TO FRONT PAGE POST ---> http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/000986.php

bread's done
Back