Recovery Console problem (XP Pro)

PuNK45S

CAGiversary!
While trying to fix my video card I deleted all of my nvidia drivers (through the add/remove programs) but during the process one of the uninstalls decided to delete a file my computer needs: nvcchflt.sys

Now in the recovery console I am trying to copy it from my dvd drive, but all of the SET commands are disabled.

I've looked online and through the microsoft help website and it seems the only way I can enable it is to actually be able to use my computer, but considering I have to use the recovery console I think it's safe to say theres a big chance the computer won't startup....so there has to be some way to enable through the recovery console right?

You *might* have to do a big roll back (like a month or two) and see if this fixes the problem...if not..you could try a better uninstaller for your video card and try to reinstall a fresh copy and last but not lease, format :(

[quote name='daphatty']Have you tried using Safe Mode (VGA compatibility) and continuing from there?[/quote]

Yeah, that was what I tried first because I know last time I had a driver problem the windows driver just took over, but even booting in safe mode fails and comes up with the same error.

I've tried doing a repair install of windows twice now with the same result.

I really don't wanna do a format because I have ALOT of stuff on this drive that I want.

[quote name='PuNK45S']
I really don't wanna do a format because I have ALOT of stuff on this drive that I want.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can always slave (or USB) the drive onto another system and get your files off that way

Also, you could try this...copy the file you need to a USB drive. Boot your PC with a live linux CD like Ubuntu. Then copy the file from the USB drive onto your hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back