Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

[quote name='tenma']Most of that backlash stemmed from all the hype and the fact that it wasn't San Andreas though. I hated it when I first played it for these same reasons, but upon realizing, "It's not San Andreas. Get over it" found that I enjoyed it quite a bit. I've beaten it 3 times and bought both DLCs.
[/QUOTE]

I think that's a good point, but the repetitive mission structure also annoyed me. The DLC missions were better than anything from the main game. As far as GTA:SA to GTAIV goes, I think the problem was at the time San Andreas was released it was still pushing the sandbox genre forward with all the different stuff in that game. GTAIV was less about innovating gameplay mechanics and more developing the world around the characters.

Sounds like Eurogamer's issue with Read Dead Revolver is the same thing. They're not re-inventing the wheel anymore but they're expanding the world the game takes place in. I don't have a problem with that.

Couldn't stand GTA IV and I got the expansions. Just didn't like it and thought they ruined the whole "I'm on a bike and I'm CRAZY!!"

I'm sure I won't have that same experience in an old western setting, but I'm hoping the shooting controls aren't as terrible as they were in GTA IV. It's been forever since I beat Red Dead Revolver, but that game was extremely satisfying to play, if not ephemeral.

[quote name='gunm'] As for Eurogamer, I'm a little suspect if they are trying to compare this game with the likes of Just Cause 2 or even Red Faction G--I like both of those games, but for me I had a better time with GTAIV...anyway, that analogy doesn't sit well with me for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Again, I don't think it was meant as a direct analogy as much as it was a comment that other comapnies are trying out new things with the genre, whether it be unrealistic chaos, more customization, destructable environments and so on, while Rockstar is still relying on a formula for GTA that hasn't really changed all that much since the series went 3D.

ill add when i get home from work, now going on 8 hours here til go time. gonna be rockin it up here soon boyd and girls.. lets go posse and lynch some bitches

Kuurptsenate, I would think with RDR being after GTAIV for a year or so that they've improved on the shooting or anything else that they needed to work on.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Kuurptsenate, I would think with RDR being after GTAIV for a year or so that they've improved on the shooting or anything else that they needed to work on.[/QUOTE]

you would think that and it seems like a safe bet, but Rockstar hasn't been know for their solid control schemes. I know for a fact they still have that auto-aim bullshit that was in GTA IV which maybe multiplayer pretty darn gay.

Again, I'm staying optimistic based on my experience with the first Red Dead game, which is still one of the most enjoyable rock star games I've played. I'll let ya know more about my "impressions" when I play it tonight at midnight

G4TV has a review and here's a snippet:
Over the course of the roughly 20-hour story (that time included a bunch of side quests and a good amount of hunting), you’ll travel across the American West and Mexico, encounter all manner of wildlife, mosey through dusty ghost towns, get into saloon brawls and live out your wild west fantasies as you traverse one of the most expansive game worlds ever conceived. Filling the gaps between settlements are a wide variety of terrain ranging from snowy mountain passes, smoldering cactus-laced deserts and sweeping plains rich with grazing buffalo, all of which are gorgeous and packed with detail.

Read more: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...-Western-Game-Made-to-Date.html#ixzz0oDsPFfWY
:bouncy::drool:

Oh man does that sound like fun. I guess it might depend on if you like horseback riding as well haha.

Snippet from Gamesradar's Super Review:
There’s no point having a sprawling landscape if you can't fill it with tons of shit to do in between the regular missions. GTAIV has the occasional stranger to help out in Liberty City. Just Cause 2 has a stack of things to blow up around Panau. And Far Cry 2 has, erm? . Anyway, Red Dead Redemption and its miles of dusty land between different towns and villages could’ve wound up a joyless trek to wander across. But, holy crap, there’s so much stuff to do here that you need never be bored.
Read more: http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/red-d...w/a-201005171454475074/g-20090204142751500025

Last edited by a moderator:
10 hours until I have this in my grubby hands. Apparently I have to head over at 10 to "finalize payment". Going to be the longest two hour wait ever :lol:

im hoping swag and stuff we get in MP will carry over and preorder stuff works all the time. im hoping for many skins and some customization to loadouts and stuff. guess ill see soon.

[quote name='wwe101']should i get this at midnight and play it all night?!?!?! or go to sleep early for school???:hot:[/QUOTE]

I would worry about school and then play the game tomorrow.

Jeez!

This game starts slow like GTAIV did. I have no idea why the hell Rockstar does this crap. If it were a book or a movie, I would definitely not be sticking with it

For everyone who is going to Gamestop to pick up their pre order, tell us if you get the special edition where you get the soundtrack, or those playing cards like if you ordered the game through their online store.

Gamestop.com finally updated my status to shipped- USA Value+USPS.
Will know in the next hour or so if it's being sent out of a LA warehouse/distributor.

Might hit up GS tonight if it's going to take another week to get here.

i thought the cards were walmart exclusive?

going to GS to get mine now, be online in about an hour. ill check the posse then.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Jeez!

This game starts slow like GTAIV did. I have no idea why the hell Rockstar does this crap. If it were a book or a movie, I would definitely not be sticking with it[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting the "shit just got real" factor should always come into play within the first couple hours of a video game?

I also added CAG Posse to my Friends List, have this coming to me from Amazon in a few days(super saver shipping is the only way to go for a true CAG!). Hope to see some games with you all soon!

Just checked out the Metacritic score and checked out a few of the reviews. Needless to say, my excitement for this game has now reached an all time high.

I knew the hype for RDR was high, but the amount of people I have heard talking about it out and about town today and the sudden influx of everyone talking about the game on Facebook and Twitter is telling me that Rockstar has another mega franchise on it's hands that will print lots o' money.

I'm in line at GameStop right now. Way more people here than I expected (San Francisco). This is going to be the longest hour and 20 wait ever :lol:

[quote name='Fjordson']I'm in line at GameStop right now. Way more people here than I expected (San Francisco). This is going to be the longest hour and 20 wait ever :lol:[/QUOTE]
Don't help them with there rollover reserves! Haha, I bet they will try to push Madden pre-orders tonight!

Yeah, they asked me if there were any other games I wanted to pre-order. Almost felt like mentioning that this was the sole game I've bought at GameStop in almost 5 years, haha.

Already heard two people mention CAG, CheapyD and his comment about RDR being better on 360.

Watching the opening cut scene right now. Looks so good.

And I love that they included another map/poster with the game. It looks awesome.

Man... over the span of a couple days, this thread, the reviews, and a bunch of videos have made me go from not caring about this to really wanting it. But even if I do get it, I won't be able to till June.

[quote name='freshzen']Are you suggesting the "shit just got real" factor should always come into play within the first couple hours of a video game?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement, but I'm talking about how Rockstar consistently makes the first hour or two of the games extremely tedious and uninteresting.

Your first few hours can be spent racing horses, or wrangling cattle, which is pretty tedius and uninteresting, but they also allow you to go help out a Marshal of the town over and kill a buncha badguys, which is a lot more interesting.

I'm still in the first 1.5 hours of crap right now. I sort of enjoyed killing the rabbits, but not so much the coyotes on the horse that used auto-aim

5 and a half hours is enough for this morning I guess. The game so far is incredible. For some reason, I love hunting. Poker as well. So far I've only done like 5 actual missions.

Time for sleep now, unfortunately :lol:

[quote name='Fjordson']5 and a half hours is enough for this morning I guess. The game so far is incredible. For some reason, I love hunting. Poker as well. So far I've only done like 5 actual missions.

Time for sleep now, unfortunately :lol:[/QUOTE]

still waiting for my copy from amazon, i have my case of redbull standing by for a 1 week extravaganza

Ok so I think I'm done with this topic until I finish the game, I don't want anything spoiled for me. Anyways I'm going to send the CAG posse a friend request and am willing to ride out with some fellow CAG's, at least in free roam.

bread's done
Back