Red Dead Redemption- Out Now

[quote name='wildcpac']I was shocked that it only took like 5 seconds to download.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's not anything new content-wise, just tweaks to the coding. So that doesn't surprise me too much.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Title update for RDR is live.[/QUOTE]

so far it sucks. in the twin rocks gang hideout i would get as much as 1432 in private freeroam, since the update the most i got was 676, and thats with clean house and 22 kill combo. now it will take twice as long to rank up. i am level 43 1st prestige, but now i dont even want to waste my time now.

i tried to go into public freeroam to see how much xp i would get for the same gang hideout, but the game went into a loop of loadiing screen, to an error message saying i was removed from the public freeroam. it did this 5 times till i just shut my xbox off. thanks rockstar, you made me not want to play your game in a matter of seconds. i was really excited about unlocking more stuff too.

[quote name='The 7th Number']so far it sucks. in the twin rocks gang hideout i would get as much as 1432 in private freeroam, since the update the most i got was 676, and thats with clean house and 22 kill combo. now it will take twice as long to rank up. i am level 43 1st prestige, but now i dont even want to waste my time now.

i tried to go into public freeroam to see how much xp i would get for the same gang hideout, but the game went into a loop of loadiing screen, to an error message saying i was removed from the public freeroam. it did this 5 times till i just shut my xbox off. thanks rockstar, you made me not want to play your game in a matter of seconds. i was really excited about unlocking more stuff too.[/QUOTE]

That loading loop happened to me before the update went live. I just went to the dashboard, reloaded the game and it worked just fine.

As for the hideouts, I don't see how anyone can be surprised that they nerfed them. If you played in a full 16 player room you could get anywhere from 2000-4000xp a minute. I don't think they intended for you to level up that fast.

[quote name='rly723']I'm curious which had a higher total amount of gameplay time RDR or GTA IV?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the storyline was longer in GTAIV, you can breeze through RDR in a little over 20 hours if you just do the main story. But there's a ton of extra stuff in RDR, especially if you want 100% completion, with the stranger missions, outfits to collect, bounty missions, and challenges.

Ultimately, they're probably both around the same length, but RDR doesn't seem to be as much of a drag as GTAIV got in some spots.

[quote name='The 7th Number']so far it sucks. in the twin rocks gang hideout i would get as much as 1432 in private freeroam, since the update the most i got was 676, and thats with clean house and 22 kill combo. now it will take twice as long to rank up. i am level 43 1st prestige, but now i dont even want to waste my time now.[/QUOTE]I know it sux to have something get nerfed, but realistically the whole idea of XP, leveling up and prestige and rewards for doing so is to keep people playing as long as possible cause they're hooked on that game. Like when I only played CoD4 for seven months straight. Of course, I still only played enough to prestige six times cause I don't have that much time for games as it is. Nowadays alot of people (not everyone mind you) stop playing faster if there is not some reward tempting them to play more. From what you guys were saying it sounded like it wasn't going to take long to max prestige pretty quickly. I had a feeling they would change it.

What rewards are there for prestiging anyway?

awesome! i cleared my cashe, did not install the update, and was back racking up 1000 - 1400 xp per twin rocks gang hideout via system link option. just prestiged for the 2nd time. sure beats getting 400 - 600 per round after the update.

made it up to level 30, 2nd prestige. probly wont hit 50 before gears 6xp starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rly723']i'm curious which had a higher total amount of gameplay time rdr or gta iv?[/quote]
Grand Theft Auto IV.

Sorry if this was posted already, but I just fond out that you can boost the online achievements. So if you and a friend go play a free for all and you're the only ones in the game, you just let each other win 3 times. Kinda lame that you can boost it, but I suck at free for all games. I only have to get 500 mounted weapon kills now for 1000.

[quote name='The 7th Number']awesome! i cleared my cashe, did not install the update, and was back racking up 1000 - 1400 xp per twin rocks gang hideout via system link option. just prestiged for the 2nd time. sure beats getting 400 - 600 per round after the update.

made it up to level 30, 2nd prestige. probly wont hit 50 before gears 6xp starts.[/QUOTE]

this sounds terrible, sounds like boosting.

I'll be damned if I can find foxes anywhere in this game. I go to where they are supposed to be on the map and hunt at night, but have only found 2 in almost 2 hours!

So yea, I bought a bandana and did probably 75% of mexico missions wearing it. not until I did what I did at the end of mexico (not to spoil) did I realize my character was wearing that bandana

I'm playing right now thinking about all the fame I could have received....damn

[quote name='timesplitt']this sounds terrible, sounds like boosting.[/QUOTE]

well, whenever i join a freeroam, all people do are gang hideouts. so why not do it alone and get more xp while im at it. all i really want is to unlock everything.

Just finished the game, was a great game, but still I gotta say it's overrated for sure. It's not better than Mass Effect 2 in my opinion and to be completely honest I probably liked Assassin's Creed 2 a little better too (that game I think is slightly underrated). I'm sure they'll make a new Red Dead game that will be even better down the line, this game is a solid base for them to build on for sure.

Now I'm just looking forward to "Outlaws to the End" coming out, should be fun.

the more i play this game, the more this guy sounds like bret hart...

Borrowed this game from my bro-in-law (he's not a big fan of open-world games like this, so he's taking a break). I love it so far, but I am not a fan of the herding missions. I broke the stallion, got my lasso and have been wandering a bit, doing odd jobs, collecting plants, shooting birds and wildlife (and skinning them) and trying to help out strangers here and there.

I didn't care for GTA IV too much (I've always been a huge Rock Star fan), so this game is the best (IMO) to come out since San Andreas.

Haven't tried mp yet.

[quote name='reddjoey']lots of foxes and boars in tall trees near the small camp (name eludes me ATM)[/QUOTE]Since they're pretty rare in Hennigan's Steed and Mexico, I figured I'd just wait until I went up north where they're more plentiful. No point in wasting time looking for them before then. Just finished Mexico last night and can't wait to start the next area.

[quote name='strongpimphand']So yea, I bought a bandana and did probably 75% of mexico missions wearing it. not until I did what I did at the end of mexico (not to spoil) did I realize my character was wearing that bandana

I'm playing right now thinking about all the fame I could have received....damn[/QUOTE]Did that for a few missions, too. I liked watching cutscenes to see it in one shot and then not be there in the next sometimes like in Loser in Love.

One more comment....the main character is a bitch and a sucker for love

It feels so weird that I'm playing with a man that can kill anyone at any time....but he lets women talk him down and minor people speak to him however they feel like it. And then the police he worked for and the villains made constant remarks about his wife. His comebacks were so...mild and tame.

How are you going to be this cowboy figure yet have the passion of a lover?

And then, without spoiling anything, his wife is just as bad to him!

Am I paying with the cowboy version of Nas????

[quote name='strongpimphand']One more comment....the main character is a bitch and a sucker for love

It feels so weird that I'm playing with a man that can kill anyone at any time....but he lets women talk him down and minor people speak to him however they feel like it. And then the police he worked for and the villains made constant remarks about his wife. His comebacks were so...mild and tame.

How are you going to be this cowboy figure yet have the passion of a lover?

And then, without spoiling anything, his wife is just as bad to him!

Am I paying with the cowboy version of Nas????[/QUOTE]

He takes all the bullshit because he feels he has to do what he has to do to be able to see his family again. Killing everyone that talks down to him would lead him to not being able to find who he's looking for, therefore meaning he would never see his family again -- the main point of the story.

[quote name='shieryda']Borrowed this game from my bro-in-law (he's not a big fan of open-world games like this, so he's taking a break). I love it so far, but I am not a fan of the herding missions. I broke the stallion, got my lasso and have been wandering a bit, doing odd jobs, collecting plants, shooting birds and wildlife (and skinning them) and trying to help out strangers here and there.

I didn't care for GTA IV too much (I've always been a huge Rock Star fan), so this game is the best (IMO) to come out since San Andreas.

Haven't tried mp yet.[/QUOTE]

The few herding missions you did are the last of them.

[quote name='paddlefoot']The few herding missions you did are the last of them.[/QUOTE]

Praise Jesus! I just did the mission where you have to bring in 21 cows during a storm. For some reason, I don't mind wandering around picking flowers, but I can't stand the herding!

Another question: if I take a stagecoach, where does my horse end up? Does he stay at the last place I hitched him, or will he be at my final destination once I exit the coach?

[quote name='shieryda']Another question: if I take a stagecoach, where does my horse end up? Does he stay at the last place I hitched him, or will he be at my final destination once I exit the coach?[/QUOTE]
If you own a house, sometimes the horse will be hitched in front of it if you fast travel without him. You can just whistle and he'll come to you no matter where you left him.

I saw some bandits execute a dude last night. I was riding down the road, and passed them near a wagon. The dude yelled "Hey, don't just ride on by. Do something!" I stood across the road, watched the dude get popped, and then started mowing down the bandits. Love looting the bodies afterwards.

I did it with the woman who tricks you into getting ambushed on the side of the road (she's the only woman in the game so far that I felt deserved it), but my understanding is that it works with any woman.

Oh, yeah. I'm going after that bitch if I get ambushed again by those fools. Happened to me on Sunday, before I got the lasso.

[quote name='strongpimphand']the more i play this game, the more this guy sounds like bret hart...[/QUOTE]

I thought he was Bill Paxton for the first week or two.

So i finally got this game, where do i download the patch?

Some thoughts:
The free roam is massive, you sometimes re spawn in the middle of nowhere with no one even close to you I finally used the transport feature and whistling the horse nearby which running around wasting time took forever previously

The aim system, i read its improved over GTA4, but does it have a lock on aim feature or are people on multi player that accurate to shoot from hundreds of yards away

If one is a GTA addict, you would probably love this game. I'm more a fringe fan of rock star games even though i still buy their stuff. I just dint have much patience or time to sit for consecutive hours playing this. Maybe if I get deeper into single player mode I'll enjoy it more

Not a big deal since its been like this with GTA style games for awhile, but kinda annoying the movements, walking, climbing, etc of characters are very stiff and robotic during gameplay. Will this ever be improved?

[quote name='rly723']So i finally got this game, where do i download the patch?

Some thoughts:
The free roam is massive, you sometimes re spawn in the middle of nowhere with no one even close to you I finally used the transport feature and whistling the horse nearby which running around wasting time took forever previously

The aim system, i read its improved over GTA4, but does it have a lock on aim feature or are people on multi player that accurate to shoot from hundreds of yards away

If one is a GTA addict, you would probably love this game. I'm more a fringe fan of rock star games even though i still buy their stuff. I just dint have much patience or time to sit for consecutive hours playing this. Maybe if I get deeper into single player mode I'll enjoy it more

Not a big deal since its been like this with GTA style games for awhile, but kinda annoying the movements, walking, climbing, etc of characters are very stiff and robotic during gameplay. Will this ever be improved?[/QUOTE]

Patches download automatically on consoles. Just press LT when your reticule is by an enemy and it locks on to them.

[quote name='seanr1221']Beat the game but didn't max out my fame or honor :([/QUOTE]

Do some duels. Just go to a card game and cheat. That'll trigger one. I grinded out about 10 duels in a row to get my fame up.

Sucks when you successfully capture a bounty, throw him onto your horse and then he winds up dead from either being shot by his buddies or from falling off your horse during the gun battle.

Also, I don't recall seeing a difficulty option when I started my game. I wish I had known about it or noticed it, because Rock Star games typically have a habit of pissing me off quite frequently when I play them. My game seems to be going fine so far, except when I encounter those bitches by the side of the road. The robbers always smoke my ass.

[quote name='shieryda']Sucks when you successfully capture a bounty, throw him onto your horse and then he winds up dead from either being shot by his buddies or from falling off your horse during the gun battle.

Also, I don't recall seeing a difficulty option when I started my game. I wish I had known about it or noticed it, because Rock Star games typically have a habit of pissing me off quite frequently when I play them. My game seems to be going fine so far, except when I encounter those bitches by the side of the road. The robbers always smoke my ass.[/QUOTE]Never had either of those things happen to a bounty.
There's a difficulty setting? The default is pretty easy.
The roadside robbers and the guys shooting up a town and/or dragging someone behind them pretty much require deadeye cause it's just too much when four guys draw on you at the same time at near point blank range.

I think I just hit the point where alot of people mistakenly thought the game was over and I hope I get to finish up
the last 8 missions tonight.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Never had either of those things happen to a bounty.
The roadside robbers and the guys shooting up a town and/or dragging someone behind them pretty much require deadeye cause it's just too much when four guys draw on you at the same time at near point blank range.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking about that today. I made the mistake last night of shooting first at a roadside robber and they made me pay dearly. I just discovered Deadeye last night, too.:D

[quote name='jdawgg76']Never had either of those things happen to a bounty.

I think I just hit the point where alot of people mistakenly thought the game was over and I hope I get to finish up
the last 8 missions tonight.
[/QUOTE]

Actually people think the game is over
after the ranch missions
, when in fact, it is not.

I hope my brother-in-law doesn't take the game back from me this weekend. I would like to get a late one in on Saturday with the game (and my copy is on a long wait on Goozex right now).

[quote name='bloodandthunder']is anybody else having trouble with the multioplayer since that lst patch came out? i always end up in matches by myself now. i wasn't having any trouble before.[/QUOTE]

Actually after the patch I've been able to get into more games so it's the opposite for me.

[quote name='shieryda']Sucks when you successfully capture a bounty, throw him onto your horse and then he winds up dead from either being shot by his buddies or from falling off your horse during the gun battle.

Also, I don't recall seeing a difficulty option when I started my game. I wish I had known about it or noticed it, because Rock Star games typically have a habit of pissing me off quite frequently when I play them. My game seems to be going fine so far, except when I encounter those bitches by the side of the road. The robbers always smoke my ass.[/QUOTE]

Wow that's never happened to me. I always wondered if I rode too fast he'd fall off but it never did.

I'm always riding too fast and I fly past the robbers behind the wagon, and they try shooting me from afar. I usually end up getting some easy kills in that way.

Finished the game a few days ago and am finishing up the 100%, now one of my favorites. Love the way the soundtrack actually added to the emotions of the story, especially when
John rides back to his family after Dutch kills himself and it feels like he is home free
. And props to R* for
making the end game free roam actually fit with the story by letting you play as Jack rather than jumping to before the ending and breaking the story.

I am very nearly done with the Mexico portion of the game and thoroughly enjoying it. I love the western theme so it is enjoyable for me to just ride around and do random stuff like shoot wildlife or play poker (my character is seriously bankrolled by poker :) that and
the one time when you play liar's dice to get the land deed, but for some reason after I beat the guy for the land deed (first time) I could keep putting up the $200 ante over and over and kept beating the one guy at the table... I farmed that for a bit and made at least $2000 off of him hehe
).

I can see where people have complaints about the story or at least the lead character, I suppose it could be better but it's okay for me- neither a super plus nor a big negative. The immersion factor though is just great. The world just feels so substantive- something that Rockstar is very good at- and I'm so happy to see it applied to a western themed game. Total awesomeness.

Can't get over the unbelievable lighting in this game- most gorgeous sunsets I have ever seen in a game. Period.

Anyone find it funny how no matter what time of day you take on the missions, it always just seems to fit? I sometimes find myself wondering if the impact of the cutscenes would be enhanced by playing that mission at a particular time of day/night, but in the end it always just seems fit just right no matter the time.
for example when you first meet Landon Rickets, I waked into Chuparosa right as the sun was going down and it was just like you're meeting this guy, living out his days in this peaceful quiet little town, and it was just epic.
Either that or maybe I've just been lucky.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Anyone find it funny how no matter what time of day you take on the missions, it always just seems to fit?[/QUOTE]

You're not alone there... I was just amazed how they pulled in what was going on around you into the cut scenes. People, horses, weather... as far as I recall everything showed up where it pretty much should have been before the mission load.

Is there no timer and clock in this game just to keep track like in GTA? A couple time a message popped up when a certain mission wasnt available to come back at a certain time.

It took me at least 10 times lasso that stallion and ride it without kicking me off, I must suck or they made it a bit difficult

$5 wanted bounty for trying to rope or shoot a stray dog lol

Multiplayer i would say is fun, but random respawns get annoying. Sometimes it would respawn nearby where you can easily get killed by opponents. Other times it was very far.

You can kill animals in free roam multiplayer, but cant skin them for profit, kind of disappointing. Also no swimming, unacceptable lol. They should add some type of fishing missions since you are out in nature

Bears dont scare me since they can be out run, but those cougars jump and strike out of nowhere

Finally got to spend some time on this yesterday and put it about 8 hours...loving every minute of it. BUT two questions:

1. Is there some kind of proximity sensor for the mountain lions when they are around? Does the horse make a noise or anything? I was out picking stupid daisies for the old man and shank...the horse just fell over.

2. fuck the mountain lions.

bread's done
Back