Red Faction Guerrilla (PC) $5 - Direct2Drive Deal of the Week

[quote name='Apushmataha']I got Red Faction on Monday and I've attempted to install it on my Win7 Pro 64 machine, but no joy. After verifying the file size and unpacking the zip, I click on setup.exe and I get a box that simply has "1158:"

Only one other person on the support forum had that problem, but there was no answer to the problem.[/QUOTE]

It seems like that is more of a general installation problem than a problem with the game. I did a search for Installation Error 1158 and it seems quite a lot of people get this problem when installing various programs. I didn't see any definite fix, but there were quite a lot of suggestions of things to try.

Eh, I tried to purchase, wouldn't let me. Contacted customer service and their suggestion was I contact my bank? please... I think I will just get this for the 360.

I bought it, and it was a bit of a pain... I had to go to their official website and download the patch, the game also only runs in window mode or it has awkward slowdowns and there is another quick fix for that I need to do. That said, it does run direct X 10 and looks a bit better than the console version, but nobody is online. Probably because they are using !HACKS to get it to work.

At least we know now a sequal is coming, so playing through the story may set us up for something good in RFG2. HOPE!

Bit on this since Steam decided not to match on their weekend deal. I hate having my DLC split among different accounts but for 5$ I couldn't resist. Hoping I don't encounter any of the problems above.

[quote name='Cheadyp']It seems like that is more of a general installation problem than a problem with the game. I did a search for Installation Error 1158 and it seems quite a lot of people get this problem when installing various programs. I didn't see any definite fix, but there were quite a lot of suggestions of things to try.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! I've got it narrowed down to an issue with the setup.ini. Now I just have to talk to d2d support and see what's up.:bouncy:

Bought this on a whim after seeing the awesome sledge action and played it all morning. Great fun, and runs like a champ

Couple questions, if I use the CD key I get from D2D with Impulse will I avoid some or all of the installation issues? Second, I haven't built my new desktop yet but will this game run decently on my Macbook Pro with 9600M GT and 2.4GHz C2D?

[quote name='Apushmataha']I got Red Faction on Monday and I've attempted to install it on my Win7 Pro 64 machine, but no joy. After verifying the file size and unpacking the zip, I click on setup.exe and I get a box that simply has "1158:"

Only one other person on the support forum had that problem, but there was no answer to the problem.[/QUOTE]

I'm running into the exact same problem. Heard back?

[quote name='grantly']I'm running into the exact same problem. Heard back?[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard anything yet. I've been messing with it a bit and I wonder if it's a win7 64 issue. I ran it on a 64-bit win7 home premium machine and got the exact same error.

[quote name='Apushmataha']I haven't heard anything yet. I've been messing with it a bit and I wonder if it's a win7 64 issue. I ran it on a 64-bit win7 home premium machine and got the exact same error.[/QUOTE]

Hm... I know someone running the retail version on Win 7 64bit bit I don't know of anyone using the digital download on that. Please let me know what they say, I'd love to get a refund if there isn't a patch!

[quote name='grantly']Hm... I know someone running the retail version on Win 7 64bit bit I don't know of anyone using the digital download on that. Please let me know what they say, I'd love to get a refund if there isn't a patch![/QUOTE]

Alright. So I got the game. Downloaded it. Installed it. And I mainly bought it for the whole Impulse activation loop hole. My question is first: If I do put it on Impulse will I be able to say - get rid - of my D2D account, by I dont know recklessly tossing it to a friend, and keep Impulse account or would there be a conflict somewhere like with him installing it and then me installing it. I went to GFWL to play online and it seems that it needs the key for me to play online...which is extremely annoying. I dont think I had to do that with Dawn of War 2 which is why GFWL didnt give me any problems before. Second: can the same GFWL account be active on two computers? If its a no to all this Im just going to get rid of the account. I couldnt care less about the games anymore. Not really anyway. I would sell it but none of my friends seem to want it. Has two games on it. ANYWAY, give me some feedback on my questions. Is the Impulse activation worth it?

btw a post on here said that you have to 1. Download 2. Install and then 3. Activate the game using the activator with your impulse email and then you can activate it on Impulse. Also - Im running Windows 7 64bit and it started up just fine.

The Impulse activation should happen automatically once you unlock your D2D copy. To me I do find it worth it, as it means you have two alternatives to download your games from instead of just one. If one company goes out of business (doubtful, just saying) then another one is there to pick up the slack.

As for GFWL, DoW2 ran the same way pretty much, only Steam handled the backend of that a bit more. Two GFWL accounts cannot be logged in at the same time as far as I am aware.

Not sure about conflicts otherwise though. DRM exists in the form of GOO by Stardock, and I am not sure what their specific checks are for each activation that would cause an account to get flagged.

[quote name='Reaperain']btw a post on here said that you have to 1. Download 2. Install and then 3. Activate the game using the activator with your impulse email and then you can activate it on Impulse.[/QUOTE]
That's correct. I tried using the key before activating my D2D copy, but I kept getting denied. After installing the D2D copy and activating it, it was already listed in my Impulse games list.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Steam's overlord pack was a much better deal.[/QUOTE]

That Overloard deal was downright ridiculous.

Red Faction G is buggy as hell for me. If I play for 2-3 hrs it start slowing down and eventually crashing.

[quote name='grantly']Hm... I know someone running the retail version on Win 7 64bit bit I don't know of anyone using the digital download on that. Please let me know what they say, I'd love to get a refund if there isn't a patch![/QUOTE]

I sorta figured out what was up. It's some sort of arcane driver problem, I think. I wiped my machine completely, then just installed my OS with ign comrade and my video card drivers, then I installed successfully without any problems.

If you have an Impulse account, you can add it so you don't have to suffer with this again: There's a dialog box after you install it that asks for your serial and e-mail address. Just enter the same e-mail address that your Impulse account is tied to. You could even do this on a machine that can't actually run the game (as long as the game doesn't prevent you from installing it if you don't have the sys reqs). Failing that, if you know someone who owns it (digital download or not), then you could just uninstall the game and reinstall it with your info just to register it on Impulse. What a nightmare. :bomb:

I was actually thinking about asking for a refund, too, but their policy is that if you've seen the key, then you're out of luck.

I guess I've finally grown into my Cheapass pants! 4 hours of troubleshooting and a complete nuking of my machine just so I can get a 4.95 game running.

[quote name='mikespit1']Couple questions, if I use the CD key I get from D2D with Impulse will I avoid some or all of the installation issues? Second, I haven't built my new desktop yet but will this game run decently on my Macbook Pro with 9600M GT and 2.4GHz C2D?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played this game, but I have a MBP 2.8 GHz C2D and 9600M GT w/ 512MB. My experience has been that it runs about equivalent to the 360 & PS3 in terms of performance (maybe a little better). I can play games like COD4 and Mass Effect at about 1440x900. I would be surprised if Red Faction Guerilla wasn't completely playable on your MBP.

bread's done
Back