Red Ring of Death (Update: Need opinions pls.)

HeSaveDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Has anyone ever sent in a 360 pro? I'm wondering if they repair it or if they would just give me a newer model. I'm gonna be tight on money so fixing it would be cheaper ($99) than buying a 250GB newer model ($250). The only thing is that when it gets back to me they only guarantee it for another 90 days. I don't know if I want to risk it red-ringing again. What should I do? My money is so tight but I don't wanna throw $99 only to have this 360 fail on me again.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/150722-xbox-360-red-ring-of-death-faq-soon-to-be-known-as-the-red-dot-of-death-p/

Theres a big ass thread up above.

Last I checked it was a flat $99 to repair and you have to have your own box to ship it off in, and you have to print out the label via a e-mail. They don't mail out the labels anymore. This was a year ago, prices may have dropped.

I'd say at this point throwing money at a old style xbox isn't worth it. Either move on or buy a newer model. All of my friends have slims and have never had any issues, I believe the failure rate on this is rather low though apparently some had power brick issues when they first came out, but again, very low chance of issues.

Also terrible timing in turns of your system dieing. We are only weeks/months away from good holiday deals and a possible price drop. I'd say a $200 360 with a few games and a 250gig Hard drive is not out of the question.

Also I wouldn't worry about the X1 having RROD like issues. From what I read they are confident there won't be any issues, they actually overclocked the system a little as well. But if you can resist I would never buy a launch console till a year + later so all the kinks are known, and you'll save a few $ when games drop in price and what not. That is IF you can resist buying a new system. I sure as hell can't.

Thanks Mack. I feel stuck. I think $100 is kinda steep for an old model 360. Is there any chance they would just send me a slim?

I might just say screw it and go with a PS4. MS is pissing me off.

Na bro, I have a friend that fixes and mods Xbox 360's.. He's been doing his business on craigslist. He charges $35 for a re-flow and $50 for a reball.

Thanks Mack. I feel stuck. I think $100 is kinda steep for an old model 360. Is there any chance they would just send me a slim?

I might just say screw it and go with a PS4. MS is pissing me off.
I'll insert the usual statement which surprisingly no one has said yet. Wait for Black Friday.

Last year's deals:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/17/3660242/xbox-black-friday-2012-deals-and-bundles

Specifically this one:

• [SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Best Buy, Fred Meyer, Fry's and Newegg.com will have a 250GB Xbox 360 console Skyrim and Forza 4: Essentials Edition for $199.99.[/SIZE]

I'd just wait and see what kind of deal they have this year, probably at least $100 off again. I'm hoping for Xbox 360/PS3 bundles at $150 or less because I'll be in the market for a new PS3 this year myself (not dead yet but headed that way).

I'll insert the usual statement which surprisingly no one has said yet. Wait for Black Friday.

Last year's deals:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/17/3660242/xbox-black-friday-2012-deals-and-bundles

Specifically this one:

• Best Buy, Fred Meyer, Fry's and Newegg.com will have a 250GB Xbox 360 console Skyrim and Forza 4: Essentials Edition for $199.99.

I'd just wait and see what kind of deal they have this year, probably at least $100 off again. I'm hoping for Xbox 360/PS3 bundles at $150 or less because I'll be in the market for a new PS3 this year myself (not dead yet but headed that way).
Thanks bro.

I feel stuck on what to do. All my money will be going to buy either a PS4 or an XBOX One so buying a new 360 at the same time seems dumb. On the other hand, I really want to play GTA V and a lot of other games I already have in my backlog. BAH! Why did my 360 have to red-ring right before the new consoles come out? :(

I feel stuck on what to do. All my money will be going to buy either a PS4 or an XBOX One so buying a new 360 at the same time seems dumb. On the other hand, I really want to play GTA V and a lot of other games I already have in my backlog. BAH! Why did my 360 have to red-ring right before the new consoles come out? :(
if i was in your situation, and preorder the next gen consoles. i would just cut ties completely with current gen. trade/sell all the backlog. Eventually gta v will come out on next gen. Or cancel the preorders for next gen consoles, and get a xbox 360 to finish your backlog, and wait till later to get a next gen console.

if i was in your situation, and preorder the next gen consoles. i would just cut ties completely with current gen. trade/sell all the backlog. Eventually gta v will come out on next gen. Or cancel the preorders for next gen consoles, and get a xbox 360 to finish your backlog, and wait till later to get a next gen console.
That's pretty much what I'm stuck with. I just can't decide. There are too many games I love on my shelf. Red Dead Redemption, Halo series, etc, then GTA V soon. Darn. Maybe I'll get a PS4 and buy another 360 down the road some time.

Has anyone ever sent in a 360 pro? I'm wondering if they repair it or if they would just give me a newer model. I'm gonna be tight on money so fixing it would be cheaper ($99) than buying a 250GB newer model ($250). The only thing is that when it gets back to me they only guarantee it for another 90 days. I don't know if I want to risk it red-ringing again. What should I do? My money is so tight but I don't wanna throw $99 only to have this 360 fail on me again.

i would keep the $99, and just wait and save up more money to get a new one.

bread's done
Back