Red Steel Discussion Thread - Impressions

Lan_Zer0

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Since the game is out now, I feel we could use a new thread for this game.

So, I read through all the reviews and decided I still wanted to get Red Steel. Here are my initial impressions based on an hour or so of play.

I played through the first area, and I have to say, I had a lot of fun. There is a definite learning curve to this game and the sword fighting was alright and seemed to agree with what most people talked about.

Then I got used to the controls and had a blast tearing through rooms of yakuza. The sword play also got better. I held the the wiimote and nunchuck like it was in the game and slashed only in the directions I wanted the sword to move (i.e. I didn't move my hand back and then swing up, just went from neutral to up) and immediately it felt good.

My main issue is with the cursor. The pointer lags a bit more than I would like (it lags more than the cursor in the Monky Wars minigame in Monkey Ball). The pointer, on occasion, will also will jump to a different location for a split second. And the controls don't have enough options (faster turn speeds). Also, sometimes the game will not remember where your cursor left the screen, so it will go off in a different direction.

So far, I like this game. It's good, and it tells me FPS for Wii can only get better.

For the pointer lag, have you tried adjusting sensitivity in the Wii remote options? It defaults to 3, and I set it to 5 and just navigating menus seemed to become much more responsive.

I'll have to try that out. But I think a lot of it comes from the way the game tries to stabilize the pointer. Like I mentioned before, the Monkey Wars cursor feels a bit more responsive.

bread's done
Back