Redbox Game Week 8/10-8/16 Free Video Game Rental

so if i rent and pick up a game right now (530am) when will it be due by?

before midnight the same day? or like noon the next day?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if i rent and pick up a game right now (530am), when will it be due by?

Before midnight the same day? or like noon the next day?
It will be due by the next day until 9 PM sharp if you decide to put it on hold online and then pick it up early in the morning for maximum rental time (depending on what store can be open the earliest though that has a redbox kiosk). An example...

Say...after midnight/overnight (depending on time zone), rent a game, then put it on hold, then wait until the store opens [most stores/markets should be open 6/7 AM], then go pick up your rental and enjoy it until the next day before 9 PM sharp. Best time to return the rental is around 7 or 8 PM when you have the chance. (Note: Though otherwise noted if Kiosk is rather outside of a store or in a 24 hour store, dependant on location.)

Will give me a chance to check out Ultra SF4. 1 day too short to get deep into stuff like Dark Souls 2.
Question when you get a chance to pick it up or anyone else who may know, is there a way to install the ultra DLC or is everything on one disc? Reason I ask is we got SSF4 AE free and it would nice to get the Ultra DLC free as well. I kind of doubt it but figured I'd ask anyway.

What games can be completed in one day?

In my area I have Titanfall, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Thief, South Park, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (I had no idea this had a standalone version).
South Park is a great game. So much fun. You might be able to finish it in a day or two. If you want to get all the achievements you might want to check the guide at http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/south-park-the-stick-of-truth/guide/. Quite a few missable achievements.

You might be able to complete The Walking Dead pretty quickly as well. That's a good one if you haven't played that. You might need to check redbox.com to see if there are other machines near your area that have it.

http://www.redbox.com/games/the-walking-dead-game-of-the-year-x360

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8833

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10250

Looks like Murdered: Soul Suspect might be another quick one. I haven't tried it, but according to http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=18971 it takes between 6 - 11 hours to complete.

I'm going to give that one a try.

Sweet, just picked up spiderman 15 hours, and depending on the weekly schedule, I should be able to get through murdered and watch dogs.. So at least two plats. Really wish they had current gen games though.

Question when you get a chance to pick it up or anyone else who may know, is there a way to install the ultra DLC or is everything on one disc? Reason I ask is we got SSF4 AE free and it would nice to get the Ultra DLC free as well. I kind of doubt it but figured I'd ask anyway.
Nope,everything is on one disk.

I liked it much more than reviews led on. It was certainly short, but it was fun. It's not a balls-out action game like most AAA titles right now, but if you liked LA Noire, you'd probably enjoy this too.
It wasn't a bad game. I am glad I passed on it for the $50 price tag, but really a Redbox rental is $2, very much worth that. It's not at all a bad game, just different. I think it reminds me of Hotel Dusk for the DS, which is a pretty decent game. It's more of an interactive detective movie than a game. Yeah, you move the dude around, but it is like watching a crime drama or something.

Overall worth a paid rental for a couple days, I blasted ass through it and missed some stuff, but it looked good, played decently, and was enjoyable.

It wasn't a bad game. I am glad I passed on it for the $50 price tag, but really a Redbox rental is $2, very much worth that. It's not at all a bad game, just different. I think it reminds me of Hotel Dusk for the DS, which is a pretty decent game. It's more of an interactive detective movie than a game. Yeah, you move the dude around, but it is like watching a crime drama or something.

Overall worth a paid rental for a couple days, I blasted ass through it and missed some stuff, but it looked good, played decently, and was enjoyable.
The guide on X360a for Murdered SS was very good and made the 240+ collectibles seem reasonable. I have done games with fewer collectables that seemed much more tedious. There is a point of no return that you should be aware of that will cause you to have to play through the game again, but it is spelled out well in the guide. And if you do miss some prior to the point of no return you can just start a new game after your original game and your collectable progress carries over so you might only have to play another 30 min or so once you get through the opening sequence so you can free roam.

You can skip 90% of the dialogue too if you don't care about the story. Perfect game to 1000/Plat during a free 1 day rental. I'd even stack the XB1 version if I could find it at a local Redbox, then again I stacked Hour of Victory so... :wall:

The guide on X360a for Murdered SS was very good and made the 240+ collectibles seem reasonable. I have done games with fewer collectables that seemed much more tedious. There is a point of no return that you should be aware of that will cause you to have to play through the game again, but it is spelled out well in the guide. And if you do miss some prior to the point of no return you can just start a new game after your original game and your collectable progress carries over so you might only have to play another 30 min or so once you get through the opening sequence so you can free roam.

You can skip 90% of the dialogue too if you don't care about the story. Perfect game to 1000/Plat during a free 1 day rental. I'd even stack the XB1 version if I could find it at a local Redbox, then again I stacked Hour of Victory so... :wall:
Wait, so you followed a guide and skipped the story? What's the point of even playing it then?

So what's enjoyable about getting achievements for a game you don't even care about? I can semi-understand the compulsion to collect all the achievements in a game you actually like, but I don't comprehend putting hours into a game and skipping all the actual fun parts.

So what's enjoyable about getting achievements for a game you don't even care about? I can semi-understand the compulsion to collect all the achievements in a game you actually like, but I don't comprehend putting hours into a game and skipping all the actual fun parts.
That's the fun of it.

That's how I found a lot of games that I love today. Sacred 2 looked like a piece of shit. Rented it for achievements, loved it, and bought it.

Plus you used to get Best Buy gift cards from 360voice for getting Gamerscore. Still addicted to GS from that.

That's how I found a lot of games that I love today. Sacred 2 looked like a piece of shit. Rented it for achievements, loved it, and bought it.

Plus you used to get Best Buy gift cards from 360voice for getting Gamerscore. Still addicted to GS from that.
Ok, that gamerscore for gift cards thing actually makes sense to me as a reason why some people would go for achievements.

Also, with a game like Sacred 2, I assume you were at least somewhat interested in the game and still actually got to have fun while playing it during the rental, which is why you ended up loving it and buying it.

But with Murdered Soul Suspect, I was under the impression that the main appeal would be in the story/puzzle solving. Removing those aspects seems like it would make for a terrible time. So I still don't understand why someone would waste their time on a game like that for the achievements.

Edit: Sorry if I'm getting away from the actual topic of the thread. I do think it's good to know which games can be beaten in a rental. I just think it seems like a waste when beating them quickly means taking out the fun parts.

Ok, that gamerscore for gift cards thing actually makes sense to me as a reason why some people would go for achievements.

Also, with a game like Sacred 2, I assume you were at least somewhat interested in the game and still actually got to have fun while playing it during the rental, which is why you ended up loving it and buying it.
Never had heard of it previously. Would never had played it if it didn't have achievements.

Thinking about How to Train Your Dragon 2 and TMNT for easy gamerscore.

I didn't skip any scenes or dialog because I liked the story, but I didn't look for all the collectibles. The last game I went and got all the stuff in was Ratchet and Clank for the PS2...I just don't do that stuff anymore.

That is the main reason I say it's a pretty good game, you just gotta be into that type of game. The story is at least something different and the concept is different.

I honestly can't imagine playing it more than once, and that is the sad part. I don't have any platinums yet, and that ain't gonna be the first.

So far that Murdered: Soul Suspect seems pretty interesting. I can see the comparison with L.A. Noire. A little like The Walking Dead and Alan Wake as well.

It's a pretty unique concept for a game. Kind of reminded me of the movie The Sixth Sense.

I'll rent it again for free. :)

I've been "collecting" 2 games at a time and returning them to the redbox closest to my house using this code. :D/  I get tired of driving around so now I've got any games I might want to rent nice and close by. 

I've been "collecting" 2 games at a time and returning them to the redbox closest to my house using this code. :D/ I get tired of driving around so now I've got any games I might want to rent nice and close by.
I was thinking about doing this to get Xbox One games near my house. Have a friend or relative drive 20 minutes to return it. Then another drives it another 20 minutes. Repeat until it is close enough for me to rent.

Wait, so you followed a guide and skipped the story? What's the point of even playing it then?
Well I got it from GameFly because I heard it was a quick 1000gs that I could send back to GF after a couple days. As for the story I paid attention to some of the story at the start to get the basic idea of what was going on, it didn't really seem that compelling to me, but it was definitely different than your standard game. Even skipping through most of the 2nd half of the dialogue I still was able to pick up on most of what was going on. Not a bad story, just nothing I felt I needed to get invested in by catching every line of dialogue. I think I turned on subtitles as well so I could just read through quickly and skip ahead as I went.

Never had heard of it previously. Would never had played it if it didn't have achievements.

Thinking about How to Train Your Dragon 2 and TMNT for easy gamerscore.
TMNT was a pretty enjoyable 1000 so I'd recommend that one. I would stay away from How to Train your Dragon 2. I played the tutorial for a bit and realized how horrible the controls/camera were and just sent it right back to GF.

Well this was fun while it lasted. I was injured all week and had time to play through Murdered soul suspect. It was a fun game, although the lack of a map made getting the collectables a bitch, especially since some are missable.
Thanks OP.
Anybody know how often they do this?

Well this was fun while it lasted. I was injured all week and had time to play through Murdered soul suspect. It was a fun game, although the lack of a map made getting the collectables a bitch, especially since some are missable.
Thanks OP.
Anybody know how often they do this?
I agree. It was decent for what it was. If it was a little bit longer, I think I would've enjoyed it more.

And this is the first time I believe they did anything like this for a week long. They usually do give codes time to time for a free game rental. Movie rentals are a lot more common than this.

I agree. It was decent for what it was. If it was a little bit longer, I think I would've enjoyed it more.

And this is the first time I believe they did anything like this for a week long. They usually do give codes time to time for a free game rental. Movie rentals are a lot more common than this.
I don't know how often they do it but this isn't the first time. I used the smartphone re-rent trick to power through Darkness 2 some time back. However long ago that was is the last time I remember it, so it's been a while. This time I knocked out Stick of Truth. Hope they do it again soon

Went to rent ASM2 on blu-ray and got a free game rental. When I just to check out it mentioned a free game rental, no code required.  Rented murders since I heard it was  a short game.

bread's done
Back