Redbox Renting Games Nationwide in June

inanim8

CAGiversary!
Apparently after testing out markets here and there, Redbox will officially be renting out games nationwide starting in June. Games will be $2 a day. Good news for me, because they still haven't hit my area yet. :applause:

$2 a day seems like way too much for me personally. Movies are great for renting because you can watch them in one night. Games on the otherhand...I could only see this being good for a short game that you blast through on a weekend.

I'm planning on renting the short games that I probably not going buy and blast through them. I probably end up renting FPS, which I'm not usually a big fan, and play with my friends on the weekends.

Well, if they use the same time as movies(return by 9 PM the next night after you get the title), you could get over 36 hours of rental time if you time it right.

Woah sweet! I love being able to rent Blurays for 1.50. $2 is a little much, since most games can't be beaten in an evening. But it will be awesome for short games.

Am I alone in believing that scratched-to-hell DVDs will screw up the laser readers?

I rented from GameFly once and after going back to my Battlefield: Bad Company disc I noticed some tree pop-in where I never saw some before (stuff you just see after a hundred hours logged into a game).

Would be fun to use if you have a day off and want to marathon something. With most single player games these days, it's very doable.

This could be cool for multiplayer. if friends wanted to play a game online for a day or two, you could just rent it and return it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Would be fun to use if you have a day off and want to marathon something. With most single player games these days, it's very doable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think for those situations it would be doable. But even if it is doable, there aren't too many games that I would enjoy marathoning. I like to pace myself with most games so I don't get burnt out.

shit%20just%20got%20real.jpg

I could see myself using this for some short single player games. Less hassle to pay say $4 to rent for a couple of days to beat a 6-8 hour game than to deal with Goozex etc.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Am I alone in believing that scratched-to-hell DVDs will screw up the laser readers?

I rented from GameFly once and after going back to my Battlefield: Bad Company disc I noticed some tree pop-in where I never saw some before (stuff you just see after a hundred hours logged into a game).[/QUOTE]
I notice a ton of pop-in on the GTA games when flying around in a chopper. Like literally whole blocks of the city will be a blue nothingness underneath me and then just pop in all at once.

It's happened on multiple PS3's and my copy of the game was bought new/sealed and doesn't have a scratch on it. Same goes with 90-95% of the other games I've played in my consoles.

That's the reason I love the Blu-Rays, since it's so hard to scratch them to shit versus a DVD based game.:)

Uhh... I rented games for my PS.3. for a month and then went back to playing my mint Battlefield:.B.C. and noticed new pop-in thanks to the scratched-to-hell discs I put in my PS.3. (your precious Blu-Rays). i.e. The laser streamed content slower.

I'd rather buy games new and resell it as my way to rent from now on - most of the time it's cheaper than $2 a night too when I buy my "rent" games during sales.

They've had this in the NW here for months. $2 a game per day but the selection of games has only been about 5. I dont know if this will be expanded once this goes nationwide.

Yeah, $2/night with how I play games just isn't a financially sound decision. I fought to beat a game in the 5-days that typical video stores (which are now gone) offered. But even so, I'll probably give it a try as I can't afford GameFly and the aforementioned closer of video stores. Either it'll be RedBox, or I buy the game.

Tho from what I hear the selection is god-awful, that the testing has been going on for over 6 months and they still basically have the same 5 games avaliable.

[quote name='Necrozilla']Uhh... I rented games for my PS.3. for a month and then went back to playing my mint Battlefield:.B.C. and noticed new pop-in thanks to the scratched-to-hell discs I put in my PS.3. (your precious Blu-Rays). i.e. The laser streamed content slower.

I'd rather buy games new and resell it as my way to rent from now on - most of the time it's cheaper than $2 a night too when I buy my "rent" games during sales.[/QUOTE]
I was buying most of my games from clearance sales(
icondead.gif
Sears/Kmart clearance) or used from Gamestop during a B2G1 and as long as you're picky and TAKE YOUR TIME when picking out used copies of games you CAN find unscratched games.

But if you're one of the folks who's in a hurry for no good reason and just take whatever shit condition game they plunk in the rental case, then no offense but it's not THEIR fault you weren't a lil more patient and asked to see a couple discs before taking home a 'scratched to hell' disc. I've left Blockbuster/Gamestop stores before with nothing after going over 3-5 copies of a game I was going to buy/rent and not finding a single one that was in flawless condition.

Albeit some folks treat rental games like crap and even if you stood there for 30 minutes going through how many ever copies they have you still may not find a perfect condition one. But if you take the time to be picky about what you rent/buy used, then you may not be having issues now.

Although some of your problem may not have to do with the rental discs so much as either the amount of dust that may be INSIDE your console(it sucks in a LOT of dust) and/or the age of the laser in your console.

Lasers only have a finite lifecycle and as such after a while they become weaker. So if your PS3 is an older one it may be the laser that's the issue and not the 'omg horrid condition games'. Just something to think about before placing blame on rental games or some other invisible boogeyman.;)

$2 a day is a no go, not giving up Gamefly for that

With Blockbuster dying out and every place else eliminating rentals for redbox (my local grocery store used to have good prices for game rentals but they gave that up a while ago) there's pretty much nothing worthwhile as competition unless Netflix starts doing games. And they aren't too keen on that idea.

I agree with most. $2 for a day is kinda steep. Truly how many hours most people play? Not close to 24 nor 12hours a day. Lol.

It's great I guess if you want to test out a game yourself to see if its worth buying.

Redbox CEO said they're planning to offer 20-24 games per box. That's significantly more than the 5 or so games being tested in the markets today. I know many don't find this exactly cheap but there are a few games in my collection that I bought at $15 when I could have finished them for $4.

My machine usually has 5 games, but they're updated every Tuesday. The problem is that they don't release very many so it's hard to find a popular game.

$2 a night is perfect for me though. Being unemployed has it's benefits :(

Am I the only one think $2 a night is still a lot? You can't beat most games in one night (not if you have to work the next day). If I have to spend $6 for three nights, I rather wait till the game is $10 :)

It's not bad, but it's a start. They often have the most mainstream games from what I can tell - no RPGs, and especially no JRPGs.

It's good to try something out to see if you like it, and if you just want to try a game, but I have a feeling it will be very hard to get stuff - it will always be out.

This is a good option if you rent less than 8 games a month. Too bad they won't have old games, niche games, or JRPGs.

I noticed in my little town now that the video store closed, the Gas station has a display of movies they rent.

Here's a link confirming it for Jun 17th:

http://technabob.com/blog/2011/04/30/redbox-renting-games/

bread's done
Back