Reduced price game guides, all stores. Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
3-17-07 Here should be most of the information that anyone would need in acquiring guides. please read ALL the information below before asking questions. most question are answered below. Again thank you 6669 for all your contributions to this thread and web site.

My wifes web site - Nice jewelry good prices.

www.ladieslovejewelry.com

For hopefully the latestest most current up to date guide drops please refer to the

"CAG Strategy Guide WIKI page"

recent drop section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(recent_drops)

master list section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(master_lists)

they will be filetered from the thread posts to the WIKI page as often as possible. Thank you for your contribution.

Listed in the wiki is the most up to date compiled list of all known guide deals from the posts of this thread and similar threads. I will update the wikis lists as people post new guide deals. Everything listed in this thread “should” be the price listed or lower. These prices are typically company wide price reductions and not YMMV. But just because the prices are typically universal does not mean that they are guaranteed to be sold to you. Most stores have a destroy clause with the guide companies. So whether or not you get these guides depend on many many factors from how diligent a staff is to how reasonable or friendly one is. Good luck on any you may find and good luck on acquiring them. Please dont have a fit if a store wont let you have them just move on. Causing trouble rarely gets guides and most of the time stops others from getting guides in your area. If anything is incorrect or missing please post so corrections can be made.

Now you can just cut, paste, print, and GO!!!

What is a Penny Guide:

To answer this question fully, one first has to understand the longstanding legal agreemenat which [book] publishers have with book sellers such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and other chain and Mom & Pop shops, as well as other retailers who similarly sell their books.

For several decades, publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Random House, et cetera will send out X-number of a title to stores to be sold. After a time, when it is decided that those older titles have little chance of selling and the store shelf real-estate would be better used for newer publications, they issue a recall to the vendors to field destroy all remaining copies of titles A, B & C.

The stores then will pull those titles from their inventory to be field-destroyed, and in their systems mark the publications as 1¢. The 1¢ price is to indicate to the publisher that they are no-longer selling the pulled title, and it is also to serve as a Red Flag to any cashier who might ring up a title (on the chance that the titles were not pulled as legally they were required).

When the pull lists are sent out by the publishers, and the stores adjust the price in their inventory (and pull and field-destroy the books), the stores also are to report to the publisher the number of the books they pulled. (This is generally done at a corporate level.) The publisher then credits the stores full cost of the books.

So lets say, MegaChain orders 8000 copies of the Bread Baker strategy guide for their stores in North America for say, $4 a piece. They owe $32,000 to Publisher X. Bread Baker being a big seller and a hard game, then sells 6000 of those 8000 guides, leaving around 2000 guides on the shelves when Publisher X issues the pull demand. Publisher X then issues MegaChain an $8000 credit for the 2000 unsold copies of the guide.

According to IAmTheCheapestGamer, some retailers also have deals where each copy of pulled titles sent to their recognized Recycling Centers are additionally issued further credit for being environmentally responsible in the manner in which they field destroy each book.

How you can help: You can keep a printed copy of this list in your jacket, wallet, purse whatever and when you go to any store that carries guides look for guides for games that have been out typically around six months or more and ask for a price check or better yet use a store scanner if they are available. If they are anything less than cover price write it down for us. Also please when you post the info here if it looks like it’s a temporary sale, please post that as well otherwise it will be assumed to a be a permanent price reduction. If you scan a guide and it comes up a different price that what the master lists suggests please list the day and store that you had the guide scanned. Also please list if you physically saw a self-scanner’s price, physically saw a cash registers price or vocally heard a price from the store’s staff. This might sound like a lot and of course we will take what we can get but this will go a long way to having the best master list as well as ferreting out different store practices and policy’s. All help is appreciated and thank you.

Trading: I spoke with the post office and found out that the cheapest form of mailing to the 48 contiguous states would be to use “media mail” It will take a little longer but it will also allow the least amount of money per transaction when trying to acquire guides for your collection. For an average guide weight of about 9 oz its $1.42 cents. All you need to do is put it in an envelope and ship it media mail. He mentioned no one should have a problem if you use the same envelope several times to cut down on costs. He also mentioned that when shipping Media mail that you cannot have any personal correspondence in the envelope. Only books and an invoice are acceptable. If trading is in you interest you do whatever is most comfortable for you and your trading party this was merely a FYI and a good way to keep it cheap.

Helpful links to check for reduced priced guides or guides in general. You will likely never find one cent guides here but various discounted guides and possibly some that you have been searching for.

Best Buy

Best Buy guide search

Circuit City

Circuit City guide search

EB Games

EB Games guide search

Gamestop (babages,software etc,funcoland)

Gamestop guide search

Overstock

Overstock guide search

Toys R Us (uhh best link I could find)

Toys R Us guide search

strategy-guides.net (another large site of guides)

strategy-guides.net guide search

bookpool (guides typically 45% off or so )

Book pool guide search

Looking for assistance: I am looking for some staff from Best Buy’s, EB’s, Gamestop’s and stores of the like. When EB Games or Gamestop has a price reduction their shelves can be empty in a day or two to even as little as just a few hours. EB and Gamestop have daily price changes so all depending on the store’s staff they could be all gone almost immediately. If I could get some staff that can either post here first thing any day that they have a price reduction on guides or that might be able to text message me with such price reductions so that I might be able to inform CAG’ers ASAP. Whether or not us the end user would actually be able to get them from a particular stores staff is very much an YMMV but if there is anyone who can help this would greatly increase the chance’s of CAG’ers being able to pick up guides from these locations. If anyone is interested and able to help please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you all for your consideration.

Thank you all for making CAG what it is and for all your contributions.

Disclaimer: This list is intended to help all guide hunters. Please feel free to print yourself a copy and get what you can find. Please do not post this list on another site. {e-mail me please if for some reason you would want to. [email protected]} Please just link to this thread, add to this list and help it grow. Thank you

all guides are now listed in the wiki please go there. thank you.

I need City of Heroes/Villians or World of Warcraft Atlas Game Guides. Would be willing to pay for it or maybe pay a partial payment and then send you a couple of my guides. PM me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My trade list is at the bottom of this page (i don't know how to link a specific post, sorry i'm a newbie) ---->

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021&page=4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. If someone PMs me a link to my specific post then I'd be appreciative, thanx!

Got a bunch of new guides. Check my trade list for anything you guys might be looking for. Thanks.

PS- As usual, great job floormat. Keep up the good work and thanks for everything.

[quote name='caedeskhan']With a new oblivion guide out, does anyone think the old one will be pennied out in Dec at BB?[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but I think the original Oblivion guide dropped to $9.99 last month. So yeah, dropping to a penny this month seems to be a very good possibility.

[quote name='Josef']I may be wrong but I think the original Oblivion guide dropped to $9.99 last month. So yeah, dropping to a penny this month seems to be a very good possibility.[/quote]
I'm still holding out for Morrowind to drop. Checked last night and it's $20.

[quote name='caedeskhan']With a new oblivion guide out, does anyone think the old one will be pennied out in Dec at BB?[/quote]

i thought it might penny drop too so i went into BB a couple days ago and had the cashier ring it up and it's still at 9.99 but maybe in the future. Hey whatever happened to that guy who was on CAG who gave us future penny drop info....please come back!

[quote name='caedeskhan']With a new oblivion guide out, does anyone think the old one will be pennied out in Dec at BB?[/QUOTE]

Who knows.

Well, the beginning of the month is coming up QUICK(and the $14.99 DSL deal from Verizon is ending at months end too), so the Oblivion guide may finally drop this month.

Another 1-2 that may drop(imo):

Tomb Raider Legend(this has been out for a long while now)
Enchanted Arms(newer guide, but I think it's also down to the $9.99 price)

Any other $9.99 guides that I missed from BB?

I'm still trying to find a discernable pattern to the BB drops, if I do, I'll let the other CAGs know.

Yeah there was a guy who worked at BB that came around this thread for a few months but haven't seen him since the last drop or so, please come back!

I had to laugh at a TRU's prices on RE4 and SC: Chaos Theory guides that I check in Michigan this weekend. Both rang up at full price ($17.99 and $16.99 respectively). I was pretty disappointed, as I have been trying to find a penny copy of RE4 for quite some time now.

[quote name='zodemere2k']Yeah there was a guy who worked at BB that came around this thread for a few months but haven't seen him since the last drop or so, please come back![/quote]

could that possibly be me? I tell in advane as soon as i find out, and with the new month coming, work might post something soon. This time of the year they usually give warning of guide drops due to the busy schedule of media employees. I'm going into work tomorow night, and will post if i find anything.

[quote name='vahn401']could that possibly be me? I tell in advane as soon as i find out, and with the new month coming, work might post something soon. This time of the year they usually give warning of guide drops due to the busy schedule of media employees. I'm going into work tomorow night, and will post if i find anything.[/quote]

We love you Vahn!!!!!!!!!!!

reminds me of run ins in the past ahhh! SOme clueless employees would be like "we're not suppose to sell this" others just give them to me for free since they are pennied out!

Sorry if this is a repost (I didn't see it on the list above) but I got "Secret Codes 2006 Volume 2" from Bradygames for $0.01 at Best Buy this Black Friday. The UPC is 752073008017 and the ISBN 07440080108 if anyone wants to check.

[quote name='pentapenguin']Sorry if this is a repost (I didn't see it on the list above) but I got "Secret Codes 2006 Volume 2" from Bradygames for $0.01 at Best Buy this Black Friday. The UPC is 752073008017 and the ISBN 07440080108 if anyone wants to check.
[/quote]

thanks for posting, i was waiting for this to drop!

I can confirm Shadow The Hedgehog is pennied at GS/EB. I got some tonight. Also these guides are $4.99 so they may be dropping soon.
Kameo
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing
Half Life 2 (PC)

And a couple $7.99 guides to keep an eye on:
Driver Parallel Lines
Socom 3 US Navy Seals

Found the following today at local store for great prices. All are up for trade (sale only if you buy multiple):
Maximo Ghosts to Glory (prima)
Gauntlet Dark Legacy (Prima)
Pikmin (Prima)
Brute Force (Prima)
Driver 3 (Prima)

N64:
Quest 64

Okay yesterday I went to 6 stores on the list and picked up over 20 guides to have price checked and you know what?
NOT A ONE OF THEM WAS PENNIED OUT.
Now I live in wv and I would like to know where you guys are getting this information because I wasted a WHOLE DAY trying to get pennied out guides and not a single one was reduced. Are they only this cheap on the store websites or something??

No they are a universal price. If they didn't ring up at a penny you either went to the wrong store that had the guides pennied out or looked at the wrong version of the guide. Some of the guides like Scarface have 2 versions. An older one and a newer one that also covers the 360.

When you went to the stores did you make sure to look at the guides that were pennied for THAT store? Just because a guide is pennied at one store doesnt mean it will be pennied at a different store, aka guides pennied at best buy probably won't be pennied at gamestop.

Also if you went to gamestop or another store there is a chance they over-rode the price on you when you went to checkout.

Had a LIST of each guide for each store that was supposed to be pennied out. All things like Soul Calibur 3 for example (NOT the limited eds either btw)were all full priced at each store. Not a single thing on the list was cheaper at all.
Im gonna experiment and call a store in Tennessee and see what they have the prices as but I wont get my hopes up after the other day. Hope you can figure this one out because I sure cant.

[quote name='shaowebb']Had a LIST of each guide for each store that was supposed to be pennied out. All things like Soul Calibur 3 for example (NOT the limited eds either btw)were all full priced at each store. Not a single thing on the list was cheaper at all.
Im gonna experiment and call a store in Tennessee and see what they have the prices as but I wont get my hopes up after the other day. Hope you can figure this one out because I sure cant.[/quote]
Listing the names of stores and guides you scanned there (at that particular store) would help.
Calling a store before hand would be a bad idea, as they'll probably just look at the price tag instead of scanning it.

Brian already went over what could have happened. Since you said Soul Calibur 3, I'm asuming you went to Best Buy, as it's the only place that had it pennied out on the list. Chances are that the employee that's ringing them up is re-adjusting the price.

[quote name='shaowebb']Had a LIST of each guide for each store that was supposed to be pennied out. All things like Soul Calibur 3 for example (NOT the limited eds either btw)were all full priced at each store. Not a single thing on the list was cheaper at all.
Im gonna experiment and call a store in Tennessee and see what they have the prices as but I wont get my hopes up after the other day. Hope you can figure this one out because I sure cant.[/quote]

Which stores were you going to? EBGames and Gamestop prices are universal. Best Buy shoud be universal for the guides, but technically the manager can change his system so it will scan at regular price... although I've never seen it happen on a guide. Game Crazy prices are NOT universal and some of their stores don't penny out guides at all.

Yes, do NOT call the stores because the quickest way to kill a deal is to let the employees know about it because they will either buy the guides or have a friend buy them or alert management of this really low price and then they'll be pulled from the shelves like they are suppose to be. Fyi, most of the info on guides that have dropped to a penny is at least a month old so most guides have been bought up or pulled already. Best advice is to wait until we all find out about a new set of penny drops and then go look for those. Good luck and happy penny guide hunting!

[quote name='shaowebb']Okay yesterday I went to 6 stores on the list and picked up over 20 guides to have price checked and you know what?
NOT A ONE OF THEM WAS PENNIED OUT.
Now I live in wv and I would like to know where you guys are getting this information because I wasted a WHOLE DAY trying to get pennied out guides and not a single one was reduced. Are they only this cheap on the store websites or something??[/quote]

This is funny, no really, I've never had any problems with Best Buy as far as getting guides goes, but Gamestop and TRU, forget about it.

Well, unless you count the one or two stores locally that lemme grab ALL their pennied guides if I want them for free.

As someone else mentioned, either a manager or employee did a quick price override if you were in line trying to check out with the guides you tried for OR for some reason the OTHER barcode scanned properly.

I've only ever seen this happen one time, I can't remember which guide it was, but one barcode scanned at .01 and the clerk scanned the other and voila, full price. Which price do you think they tried selling me the guide at?

If you really need or want certain guides, I've got buttloads of many of the pennied guides for the last year or so, so lemme know and we can work out a cheap guide sale.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
If you really need or want certain guides, I've got buttloads of many of the pennied guides for the last year or so, so lemme know and we can work out a cheap guide sale.
...[/QUOTE]

Get yerself a tradelist man! Time's a wastin'! ;)

LOL It would take me far too long to alphabetize the big list of guides I have. I have a list where the guides are on there by quantity. And most of the quantities have gone UP and I haven't updated it in MONTHS.

Also on my trade list, I have one copy of each of those guides, plus other ones I've found and was considering keeping for myself as a 'personal' collection that I should put on there too.

The harder to find pennied ones though, I may well keep one of(if I have multiples LOL) and the ones for games I have(Xenosaga II, which I thought of trading at one time), but the rest are fair game.

And yes, I probably have something of a 'collection' close to those people who were ebaying 10 guide lots for a while that people complained about on here.

I'll PM you with my massive trade list, Captain Sniffy. Again, if you don't see one you want, ask if I have the guide for it, as I may in my personal collection.

[quote name='shiningslade']:bomb:When did SC III penny at BB? I never saw a post about it![/QUOTE]

wow, almost a year ago. I believe same drop as Shadow of the Colossus and Xmen legends 2? IDK, I wasn't actually able to get any from that drop, but I seem to remember being some nice big guides dropped then.

Not sure if these are new, but I found Kameo, Dead or Alive 4, and Need for Speed Most Wanted for a penny at BB.

And to repeat what others have said, NEVER call a store about any unadvertised deal like this. It will just kill the deal for everyone.

[quote name='Trevor']Not sure if these are new, but I found Kameo, Dead or Alive 4, and Need for Speed Most Wanted for a penny at BB.

And to repeat what others have said, NEVER call a store about any unadvertised deal like this. It will just kill the deal for everyone.[/QUOTE]

They're old, but congrats on finding NFS and DoA, those have been pennied for quite some time.

I can confirm Shadow The Hedgehog, as well as Lineage II and the Nintendo version(I only had that one checked) of Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness' guide are pennied at GS. Sorry if the other two are reposts, but I know someone was looking for confirmation on the Shadow guide in the old thread.

I'm still looking for a copy of the Mercenaries guide, if anyone has one, I'll PM a trade list(since I don't wanna waste the time to alpha my long list of hoarding era guides). I'd easily do a 2 for 1 for it, since it's a BIG want.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I'm still looking for a copy of the Mercenaries guide, if anyone has one, I'll PM a trade list(since I don't wanna waste the time to alpha my long list of hoarding era guides). I'd easily do a 2 for 1 for it, since it's a BIG want.[/quote]

You know if you have a list already typed out, it doesn't take much to alphabetize it, i.e. Excel - not that having it alphabetized should stop you from posting it anyway

Well, I just figured that it was part of the requirements FOR trading. And, if I'm not mistaken it IS, isn't it?

Either way, I will be posting a trade list within a couple minutes on the trade forums.

So does anyone know which guides BB will be dropping this month/Monday?
There's only those few that are $9.99 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back