Reduced price game guides, all stores. Thread 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
3-17-07 Here should be most of the information that anyone would need in acquiring guides. please read ALL the information below before asking questions. most question are answered below. Again thank you 6669 for all your contributions to this thread and web site.

My wifes web site - Nice jewelry good prices.

www.ladieslovejewelry.com

For hopefully the latestest most current up to date guide drops please refer to the

"CAG Strategy Guide WIKI page"

recent drop section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(recent_drops)

master list section

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Category:Strategy_Guides_(master_lists)

they will be filetered from the thread posts to the WIKI page as often as possible. Thank you for your contribution.

Listed in the wiki is the most up to date compiled list of all known guide deals from the posts of this thread and similar threads. I will update the wikis lists as people post new guide deals. Everything listed in this thread “should” be the price listed or lower. These prices are typically company wide price reductions and not YMMV. But just because the prices are typically universal does not mean that they are guaranteed to be sold to you. Most stores have a destroy clause with the guide companies. So whether or not you get these guides depend on many many factors from how diligent a staff is to how reasonable or friendly one is. Good luck on any you may find and good luck on acquiring them. Please dont have a fit if a store wont let you have them just move on. Causing trouble rarely gets guides and most of the time stops others from getting guides in your area. If anything is incorrect or missing please post so corrections can be made.

Now you can just cut, paste, print, and GO!!!

What is a Penny Guide:

To answer this question fully, one first has to understand the longstanding legal agreemenat which [book] publishers have with book sellers such as Borders, Barnes & Noble and other chain and Mom & Pop shops, as well as other retailers who similarly sell their books.

For several decades, publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Random House, et cetera will send out X-number of a title to stores to be sold. After a time, when it is decided that those older titles have little chance of selling and the store shelf real-estate would be better used for newer publications, they issue a recall to the vendors to field destroy all remaining copies of titles A, B & C.

The stores then will pull those titles from their inventory to be field-destroyed, and in their systems mark the publications as 1¢. The 1¢ price is to indicate to the publisher that they are no-longer selling the pulled title, and it is also to serve as a Red Flag to any cashier who might ring up a title (on the chance that the titles were not pulled as legally they were required).

When the pull lists are sent out by the publishers, and the stores adjust the price in their inventory (and pull and field-destroy the books), the stores also are to report to the publisher the number of the books they pulled. (This is generally done at a corporate level.) The publisher then credits the stores full cost of the books.

So lets say, MegaChain orders 8000 copies of the Bread Baker strategy guide for their stores in North America for say, $4 a piece. They owe $32,000 to Publisher X. Bread Baker being a big seller and a hard game, then sells 6000 of those 8000 guides, leaving around 2000 guides on the shelves when Publisher X issues the pull demand. Publisher X then issues MegaChain an $8000 credit for the 2000 unsold copies of the guide.

According to IAmTheCheapestGamer, some retailers also have deals where each copy of pulled titles sent to their recognized Recycling Centers are additionally issued further credit for being environmentally responsible in the manner in which they field destroy each book.

How you can help: You can keep a printed copy of this list in your jacket, wallet, purse whatever and when you go to any store that carries guides look for guides for games that have been out typically around six months or more and ask for a price check or better yet use a store scanner if they are available. If they are anything less than cover price write it down for us. Also please when you post the info here if it looks like it’s a temporary sale, please post that as well otherwise it will be assumed to a be a permanent price reduction. If you scan a guide and it comes up a different price that what the master lists suggests please list the day and store that you had the guide scanned. Also please list if you physically saw a self-scanner’s price, physically saw a cash registers price or vocally heard a price from the store’s staff. This might sound like a lot and of course we will take what we can get but this will go a long way to having the best master list as well as ferreting out different store practices and policy’s. All help is appreciated and thank you.

Trading: I spoke with the post office and found out that the cheapest form of mailing to the 48 contiguous states would be to use “media mail” It will take a little longer but it will also allow the least amount of money per transaction when trying to acquire guides for your collection. For an average guide weight of about 9 oz its $1.42 cents. All you need to do is put it in an envelope and ship it media mail. He mentioned no one should have a problem if you use the same envelope several times to cut down on costs. He also mentioned that when shipping Media mail that you cannot have any personal correspondence in the envelope. Only books and an invoice are acceptable. If trading is in you interest you do whatever is most comfortable for you and your trading party this was merely a FYI and a good way to keep it cheap.

Helpful links to check for reduced priced guides or guides in general. You will likely never find one cent guides here but various discounted guides and possibly some that you have been searching for.

Best Buy

Best Buy guide search

Circuit City

Circuit City guide search

EB Games

EB Games guide search

Gamestop (babages,software etc,funcoland)

Gamestop guide search

Overstock

Overstock guide search

Toys R Us (uhh best link I could find)

Toys R Us guide search

strategy-guides.net (another large site of guides)

strategy-guides.net guide search

bookpool (guides typically 45% off or so )

Book pool guide search

Looking for assistance: I am looking for some staff from Best Buy’s, EB’s, Gamestop’s and stores of the like. When EB Games or Gamestop has a price reduction their shelves can be empty in a day or two to even as little as just a few hours. EB and Gamestop have daily price changes so all depending on the store’s staff they could be all gone almost immediately. If I could get some staff that can either post here first thing any day that they have a price reduction on guides or that might be able to text message me with such price reductions so that I might be able to inform CAG’ers ASAP. Whether or not us the end user would actually be able to get them from a particular stores staff is very much an YMMV but if there is anyone who can help this would greatly increase the chance’s of CAG’ers being able to pick up guides from these locations. If anyone is interested and able to help please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thank you all for your consideration.

Thank you all for making CAG what it is and for all your contributions.

Disclaimer: This list is intended to help all guide hunters. Please feel free to print yourself a copy and get what you can find. Please do not post this list on another site. {e-mail me please if for some reason you would want to. [email protected]} Please just link to this thread, add to this list and help it grow. Thank you

all guides are now listed in the wiki please go there. thank you.

[quote name='Ribbercage']Went to TRU and they had a shitload of pennied guides so i took them all to the register. Probably over 20 guides and they would only sell me one of each. So i asked to see the manager and he came over and told me we can only sell one of each again. That these should be off the shelves and no for people to buy and I said "ITS NOT MY FAULT YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE TO LAZY TO PULL THEM OFF THE SHELF". That didnt really help me but o well. I got there at 10 AM on the dot. I got Halo 2, GT4, Half life 2 xbox, and Splinter cell CT. They had a swear 6 copies of each one. Can they really refuse to sell these to me. Its a bunch of bullshit to me. Well I Officially hate everyone at TRU now.[/quote]

Are all those RE4 things in your sig really your collection?

I went to a ghetto ass tru off the 710 freeway on Florence Ave. They had a gang of guides, most of them were dirty and rip. I just took the one that was in good condition. I would of got more of each so I can trade or sell some to cagers, but the tru manager wouldn't let me. They only allowed me to get one copy of each, so I bought the following guide below for .01 cent.

Kameo
Half Life 2
Ratchet Deadlocked
GT4
Final Fantasy 1 & 2 Dawn of Souls
Halo 2

thx op

edit. fuck i forgot to picked up quake 4 and splinter cell. They had a lot of those too.

I hit 5 TRUs today. Got:

Halo 2
GT4
Half Life 2
Lego Star Wars (only 1) (NOTE: original version seems to be $0.01 while the reduced-price $9.99 version rang up regular price)
Black
Pokemon Emerald (only 1)
Kameo
Quake 4
Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (only 1)
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones (only 1)

+ about 40 more FFIII sleeves, and Pinball Tycoon for myself.

Had a bunch of other guides scanned, but found nothing else for $0.01.

3 stores didn't care if I took every guide they had (but I didn't, just 2 of each I could find per store), 1 store said I could have what I could find thinking they had pulled them all (and were also nice enough to let me trade some ratty GT4 guides for some nicer ones they were going to trash), and 1 store begrudgingly gave me the only penny guide they had in stock that I wanted.

Oh, and weren't the CE Pokedexes supposed to be $0.01? Oddly enough that one rang up for I think half cover price. The pocket version was cover price.

And damned if I didn't also forget to get some Splinter Cell CT guides. Oh, well, if anyone wants to trade for a Quake 4, Halo 2, HL2, Kameo, or Enchanted Arms, I could do that. Would also trade any of those for other guides like FF 1-2.

OK, I'm all prepped and ready for Pooky's relentless lashing for this haul. But, I figured they would just toss them all out anyway, so why not grab em all. LOL Oh man, what was I thinking?!?!??!

Here's the haul:

16x Halo 2(2 opened, the rest sealed)
3x Gran Turismo 4(2 with no back cover, 1 regular condition)
4x Black(2 w/o back cover, 2 regular)
3x Project Gotham Racing 3
12x Half Life 2
6x Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
5x Quake 4
1x Shadow the Hedgehog
2x Kameo

The people behind me in line were looking like 'DAMNNNNNN' and I bet they were even more shocked when the total came up. LOL

The ripped back cover guides were from my local TRU, the undamaged ones were from a TRU 20 miles away. I took some relatives to the slot parlor near there and needed something to do. LOL

I'm looking to mainly do 2-4 guide bundles for around say $11ish shipped? Any takers? Also looking for the guides from my want list on my TL. Anyone with those guides PM me immediately.

If you send me a Halo 2, I'll hold my tongue.:)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK, I'm all prepped and ready for Pooky's relentless lashing for this haul. But, I figured they would just toss them all out anyway, so why not grab em all. LOL Oh man, what was I thinking?!?!??!

Here's the haul:

16x Halo 2(2 opened, the rest sealed)
3x Gran Turismo 4(2 with no back cover, 1 regular condition)
4x Black(2 w/o back cover, 2 regular)
3x Project Gotham Racing 3
12x Half Life 2
6x Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
5x Quake 4
1x Shadow the Hedgehog
2x Kameo

The people behind me in line were looking like 'DAMNNNNNN' and I bet they were even more shocked when the total came up. LOL

The ripped back cover guides were from my local TRU, the undamaged ones were from a TRU 20 miles away. I took some relatives to the slot parlor near there and needed something to do. LOL

I'm looking to mainly do 2-4 guide bundles for around say $11ish shipped? Any takers? Also looking for the guides from my want list on my TL. Anyone with those guides PM me immediately.[/quote]

LOL I KNEW you had to respond, didn't think it'd be this soon though. And technically, I have 17 Halo 2 guides, as I grabbed one when Gamestop pennied them a couple months ago.

Send me your info and I'll uhhh think bout sending you a Halo 2 guide. :p

I hope that Tomb Raider Legend, Enchanted Arms, Xenosaga 3, and Kingdom Hearts 2 get pennied out soon.

And a few weeks ago, Xenosaga 2's guide (Reg. Edition) was ringing up $20 at EBgames. I thought it got pennied out?

They list it as pennied out, Sprintsucks, but I've checked it at numerous EB/GS stores in numerous areas and NONE of those times has it rung up .01. I think they meant the limited edition guide, although the LE is listed on a prior drop to the XS II one.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I hope that Tomb Raider Legend, Enchanted Arms, Xenosaga 3, and Kingdom Hearts 2 get pennied out soon.

And a few weeks ago, Xenosaga 2's guide (Reg. Edition) was ringing up $20 at EBgames. I thought it got pennied out?[/QUOTE]

Nope, the collectors edition was (I think. pretty sure at least)

Ya thats my collection. I have to take a new picture of everything Resident Evil that I have. Thanks Man[quote name='Pookymeister']Are all those RE4 things in your sig really your collection?[/quote]

Not a bad collection of RE4 stuff. :) I've got all those items, save duplicates of any games (except the players choice versions).. as well as the Strat guides, demo discs, import demo discs, soundtacks, and the large cardboard store display with El Gigante.

Also got the complete sets of figures, including mini-leon, mini-ada, Jacket Leon and Glow in the dark Regen. Picked up the vending machine figures too, just finished off the collection with Ashley on a Barrel, and Build-a-Gigante. =D

Nice to see a fellow RE nut on the boards.

Have you cracked 400K yet on the castle in mercs? :bomb:

The only guide i'm aware of being $.01 for xenosaga 2 was the collectors guide. I was lucky enough to snag one at my gamestop before they stopped doing penny guides.

I'm working on updating the wiki right now. I'm gonna start scanning through the last thread and post the deals that were not in the OP.

[quote name='6669']I'm working on updating the wiki right now. I'm gonna start scanning through the last thread and post the deals that were not in the OP.[/QUOTE]

thank you very much for you contribution and help.

Shot down at a TRU that had a bunch of these guides today.. the lady I was checking out with was ready to sell them to me, but the jerk she was working with told her she shouldn't sell them or she might get in trouble. Ah well, nothing I really needed in this drop.

Did my first .01 guide trip to TRU today and scored Splinter cell chaos theory wrapped in plastic and two PGR3 guides! Luckily for me my daughter wanted a Gameboy accessorie so that kinda took some attention away from the sale however the look on the guys face was priceless after he rang it up and gave me a total!! Either he's going to go pick him some or he's going to tell management what happened and that TRU will be closed off from getting penny guides again!

Another note about penny guides. My wife works as retail management that sells magazines, books etc and they .01 their guides also which is nothing more then a flag to the distributor to get credit back. Sometimes they ask them to rip the cover off and send it in to get credit but very rarely. When you get a douchebag employee claiming they send the guides back or they dont get credit, tell them they are full of sheit. No1 is going to pay the shipping to ship back expired or old guides. Just not business smart!

Went to my local TRU for my first TRU penny guide experience. I get there and they have a ton of various guides, but not a huge selection. So I casually walk up to the old women and young kid behind the counter and ask them what their rule is for penny guides. The old women turns to the kid and the kid says we do not sell them to people at all. I ask what if i find them on the floor. Kid says then we have no choice to sell them, but we don't have any on the floor. So i walk back to the counter with about 40-50 guides, every one of them ringing a penny. The kid gives me so much crap about it, but the old lady was really cool about selling them to me, so cool she asked if she could have one of a few of them for her grandson and i told her go right ahead. For the most part, I had a good experience.

Picked up extras to trade, let me know what you have.

Halo 2 still in wrap
Quake 4 360
Black only 1
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory only 1 in wrap still

Just out of curiosity but does it really matter when they dropped? I'd find it easier to use if we just had one list for each store of all recent drops in alphabetical order. That way you can print out a list to take with you.

Having a seperate section for the most current drop makes sense though.

[quote name='vahn401']Went to my local TRU for my first TRU penny guide experience. I get there and they have a ton of various guides, but not a huge selection. So I casually walk up to the old women and young kid behind the counter and ask them what their rule is for penny guides. The old women turns to the kid and the kid says we do not sell them to people at all. I ask what if i find them on the floor. Kid says then we have no choice to sell them, but we don't have any on the floor. So i walk back to the counter with about 40-50 guides, every one of them ringing a penny. The kid gives me so much crap about it, but the old lady was really cool about selling them to me, so cool she asked if she could have one of a few of them for her grandson and i told her go right ahead. For the most part, I had a good experience.[/quote]

LOL Sounds alot like me, Vahn, except I always had my best luck at Best Buy. Lately though, my local Best Buy stores have had few and far between for penny guides. Most times, the console guides are gone before I get there in the evenings, but the PC guides will sit there for WEEKS/MONTHS without being sold.

Both of my local TRU stores were cool the last time guides dropped in letting me grab the ones they missed if I wanted them all, but I controlled myself then.

Now though, I'm kinda hoping some will check my TL and offer guide for guide trades for some of my want list(as I have buttloads of guides from the TRU drop available now).

To those who PMed me already about guides, it's $5 per guide shipped(seemed reasonable to me) or I'll do like 2-4 guides from my list(except the hardcover books, Oblivion guides or the DOS guide) for $11 shipped. In other words, the more you grab from me, the better the deal. Or, if you have bunches of my want list guides, I'll do even swaps for other guides from my list.

[quote name='swolgam']Did my first .01 guide trip to TRU today and scored Splinter cell chaos theory wrapped in plastic and two PGR3 guides! Luckily for me my daughter wanted a Gameboy accessorie so that kinda took some attention away from the sale however the look on the guys face was priceless after he rang it up and gave me a total!! Either he's going to go pick him some or he's going to tell management what happened and that TRU will be closed off from getting penny guides again!

Another note about penny guides. My wife works as retail management that sells magazines, books etc and they .01 their guides also which is nothing more then a flag to the distributor to get credit back. Sometimes they ask them to rip the cover off and send it in to get credit but very rarely. When you get a douchebag employee claiming they send the guides back or they dont get credit, tell them they are full of sheit. No1 is going to pay the shipping to ship back expired or old guides. Just not business smart![/quote]

The clerks/manager at the local TRU near me ripped the back cover off(with the barcodes) as 'proof' they 'destroyed' the guides and gave me the remainder of the guides for free.

I may still just chuck the other 2 copies of Black and GT4's guides without the covers, since CAGs like their guides complete and these are nowhere near that now. Kinda sucks too because those GT 4 guides were friggin pristine too.

[quote name='swolgam']Another note about penny guides. My wife works as retail management that sells magazines, books etc and they .01 their guides also which is nothing more then a flag to the distributor to get credit back. Sometimes they ask them to rip the cover off and send it in to get credit but very rarely. When you get a douchebag employee claiming they send the guides back or they dont get credit, tell them they are full of sheit. No1 is going to pay the shipping to ship back expired or old guides. Just not business smart![/quote]

Where does your wife work? And thank you for backing up the point that it's bullshit that these stores pull them off the shelves since they will be thrown away anyways. I bet the employees are just stealing them for themselves, bastards!!!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL Sounds alot like me, Vahn, except I always had my best luck at Best Buy. Lately though, my local Best Buy stores have had few and far between for penny guides. Most times, the console guides are gone before I get there in the evenings, but the PC guides will sit there for WEEKS/MONTHS without being sold.

Both of my local TRU stores were cool the last time guides dropped in letting me grab the ones they missed if I wanted them all, but I controlled myself then.

Now though, I'm kinda hoping some will check my TL and offer guide for guide trades for some of my want list(as I have buttloads of guides from the TRU drop available now).

To those who PMed me already about guides, it's $5 per guide shipped(seemed reasonable to me) or I'll do like 2-4 guides from my list(except the hardcover books, Oblivion guides or the DOS guide) for $11 shipped. In other words, the more you grab from me, the better the deal. Or, if you have bunches of my want list guides, I'll do even swaps for other guides from my list.[/quote]

I have no problems at all at Best Buy since I work there, and usually post the deals on here once i find out.

[quote name='Brian9824']Just out of curiosity but does it really matter when they dropped? I'd find it easier to use if we just had one list for each store of all recent drops in alphabetical order. That way you can print out a list to take with you.

Having a seperate section for the most current drop makes sense though.[/QUOTE]
Did you notice that they say "added to the master list on x-x-x"? Thats because the master list will be added soon, in a different section, when I get more time. I'm home sick today from school, but hopefully I'll get more time to do it eventually, even though my school already started back.

I have some guides for sale/trade if anyone wants. PM me if interested:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (Nintendo) (DS)
AR Action Replay CODEBOOK Volume 2 (Prima) (GameBoyAdvance/Playstation/Playstation 2/GameCube)
Battalion Wars (Nintendo) (GameCube)
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (Brady Games) (PS2/Xbox/PC)
Call of Duty: Finest Hour (Brady Games) (PS2/Xbox)
Dead or Alive 4 (Prima) (Xbox 360) X5
Dead or Alive: Ultimate (Prima) (Xbox)
Def Jam: Fight for NY (Prima) (GameCube/PS2/Xbox)
Doom 3 (Prima) (Xbox) X2
ESPN NBA 2K5 (Brady Games) (Xbox/PS2)
Fight Night Round 2 (Prima) (GameCube/PS2/Xbox)
Final Fantasy XI (Brady Games) (PS2/PC)
Forza Motorsport (Prima) (Xbox)
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Brady Games) (PSP)
Gun (Brady Games) (GameCube/Xbox/Xbox 360/PS2)
Halo: Combat Evolved (Sybex) (PC)
Jade Empire (Prima) (Xbox)
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age (Prima) (GameCube/PS2/Xbox)
Manhunt (Brady Games) (PS2)
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (Nintendo) (DS)
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (Prima) (Xbox) X2
Metal Gear Acid 2 (Brady Games) (PSP)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Brady Games) (PS2)
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Nintendo) (GameCube)
Mortal Kombat: Deception (Brady Games) (Xbox/GameCube/PS2) X2
NCAA Football 2005 (Prima) (GameCube/PS2/Xbox)
NFL Street 2 (Prima) (GameCube/PS2/Xbox) X2
Pikmin 2 (Nintendo) (GameCube)
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (Brady Games) (PS2/Xbox/GameCube/PC) X2
Psi-Ops (Brady Games) (Ps2/Xbox)
Shark Tale (Brady Games) (PS2/GameCube/Xbox)
Socom 3: US Navy Seals (Piggybackinteractive.com ) (PS2)
Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed (Prima) (PC)
Star Wars: Republic Commando (Prima Games) (PC/Xbox)
StarWars Battlefront (Prima) (Xbox/PS2/PC)
Street Fighter: Anniversary Collection (Brady Games) (PS2/Xbox)
Tekken 5 (Brady Games) (PS2) X2
Tony Hawk's Underground (Brady Games) (PS2/Xbox/GameCube)

I really wish people wouldn't turn this thread into a TL.

There's a guide clearinghouse thread right over here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

This is why the old thread ended up being so big, it was full of "I have guide XXX, YYY and ZZZ, PM if interested" posts.

Thankfully with the work getting the Wiki updated, this thread won't quite be as bad as previously, though full of TL-like posts, it will be.

[quote name='shrike4242']I really wish people wouldn't turn this thread into a TL.

This is why the old thread ended up being so big, it was full of "I have guide XXX, YYY and ZZZ, PM if interested" posts.

Thankfully with the work getting the Wiki updated, this thread won't quite be as bad as previously, though full of TL-like posts, it will be.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I added a link to the trading post to the wiki as well.

[quote name='shrike4242']I really wish people wouldn't turn this thread into a TL.

Thankfully with the work getting the Wiki updated, this thread won't quite be as bad as previously, though full of TL-like posts, it will be.[/quote]

I agree, but I don't think the "guide trading clearinghouse" post is set up correctly. I think what we need (either in the OP of this thread or in the OP of the clearinghouse thread) is just a list of the people who have a bunch of guides on their trade list. Basically something like this:

Warner1281- link to TL
Shrike4242- link to TL
6669- link to TL
etc.

If you wanted to be added to the list, you simply posted in the thread saying "add me to the list". It would give people looking to find other people to trade their guides with a little easier (rather than doing a search on the trading forum for "guide" or "guides" which brings up a myriad of irrelevant TL's or lists with only a single guide). Just a thought. If people like this idea, I would even be willing to maintain the thread given a new thread is warranted. yay? Nay? Suggestions? Comments? Flames?

[quote name='Warner1281']I agree, but I don't think the "guide trading clearinghouse" post is set up correctly. I think what we need (either in the OP of this thread or in the OP of the clearinghouse thread) is just a list of the people who have a bunch of guides on their trade list. Basically something like this:

Warner1281- link to TL
Shrike4242- link to TL
6669- link to TL
etc.

If you wanted to be added to the list, you simply posted in the thread saying "add me to the list". It would give people looking to find other people to trade their guides with a little easier (rather than doing a search on the trading forum for "guide" or "guides" which brings up a myriad of irrelevant TL's or lists with only a single guide). Just a thought. If people like this idea, I would even be willing to maintain the thread given a new thread is warranted. yay? Nay? Suggestions? Comments? Flames?[/quote]

I think this is a good suggestion because it's like you're maintaining two guide tradelists if you have your own and then the one in the Guide Trading Forum.

Granted it's not a huge effort to cut and paste between the two but it's just redundant if you have a TL already created.

So Warner1281, are you recommending having the Guide Trading Forum become a master list of TLs that are links to CAGs' TLs and people post in the Guide Trading Forum if they are looking for guide trades or wish to have their TL added to the master list of guide TLs? If so, I think that's a great recommendation.

Putting the link to the Guide Trading Forum in the Wiki was a good idea also. In Floormat's OP for this thread, there's a section entitled "Trading:". Might not be a bad idea to paste a link to the guide trading forum there as well.

[quote name='Warner1281']I agree, but I don't think the "guide trading clearinghouse" post is set up correctly. I think what we need (either in the OP of this thread or in the OP of the clearinghouse thread) is just a list of the people who have a bunch of guides on their trade list. Basically something like this:

Warner1281- link to TL
Shrike4242- link to TL
6669- link to TL
etc.

If you wanted to be added to the list, you simply posted in the thread saying "add me to the list". It would give people looking to find other people to trade their guides with a little easier (rather than doing a search on the trading forum for "guide" or "guides" which brings up a myriad of irrelevant TL's or lists with only a single guide). Just a thought. If people like this idea, I would even be willing to maintain the thread given a new thread is warranted. yay? Nay? Suggestions? Comments? Flames?[/quote]
Your idea, go ahead and implement it. If you can keep it going, then it'll work well. The original thread was set up by someone to try and draw the TL-type posts out of this thread, and keep it about the guide discussions.

Though, with guides, it's likely to be a lot of work, with the volume of guides some people have.

[quote name='shrike4242']Your idea, go ahead and implement it. If you can keep it going, then it'll work well. The original thread was set up by someone to try and draw the TL-type posts out of this thread, and keep it about the guide discussions.

Though, with guides, it's likely to be a lot of work, with the volume of guides some people have.[/quote]

shouldn't be too much work if he just maintains a master list of people with tradelists. The individuals would just have to maintain their own tradelist to be current.
Sounds good to me, add me to the list :cool:

Warner1281- link to TL
Shrike4242- link to TL
6669- link to TL
etc.

I disagree with this suggestion for one reason. If I'm looking for a specific guide it's much easier to do a single search within the clearinghouse thread than to have to look through everyone's individual lists. Or if you do a search in the entire trading forum then you end up finding more people trading the actual game than the guide.

I see how it's a pain to update 2 lists but once you've made the changes on one, copy/paste doesn't take all that long. It makes it easier for people to find specific guides which in the end should equal more trades.

[quote name='avatar94']I disagree with this suggestion for one reason. If I'm looking for a specific guide it's much easier to do a single search within the clearinghouse thread than to have to look through everyone's individual lists. Or if you do a search in the entire trading forum then you end up finding more people trading the actual game than the guide.

I see how it's a pain to update 2 lists but once you've made the changes on one, copy/paste doesn't take all that long. It makes it easier for people to find specific guides which in the end should equal more trades.[/quote]

I like what 6669 did with her TL. She has a link to her post in the clearinghouse. It will keep you from maintaining 2 lists.

[quote name='6669']
Strategy Guides
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2066924&postcount=7[/quote]

[quote name='kdunn77']I like what 6669 did with her TL. She has a link to her post in the clearinghouse. It will keep you from maintaining 2 lists.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I was too lazy to change both of them, so I just linked the post. If anyone doesn't know already, clicking on the post # in the top right of your post gives you a direct link to your post in that thread.
I like the way it is now. If everyone would just post all of their guides in that thread, a simple Ctrl+F will search each page for the guide your looking for. You could always try to "Search this Thread", but those searches dont always turn up what you're looking for.

Thankfully with the work getting the Wiki updated, this thread won't quite be as bad as previously, though full of TL-like posts, it will be.[/quote]

:applause: Thank you! I've been shaking my head for weeks at this thread because people seem to think it's an open trading forum, while we actually have a separate thread for that sort of thing.

I'd also like to remind the good folks here at CAG to please link their tradelists in their sigs!

[quote name='shieryda']:applause: Thank you! I've been shaking my head for weeks at this thread because people seem to think it's an open trading forum, while we actually have a separate thread for that sort of thing.

I'd also like to remind the good folks here at CAG to please link their tradelists in their sigs![/quote]
If you think it was bad in the previous thread, go check out the TRU clearance thread.

Jeeze... There were 6 Halo 2 guides that rang up as a Penny, but when the employee phoned the manager, the manager stated they are clearly marked, and to pay the cover price..

Even though the register states otherwise. What the fuck? How do I get around this?

If you have a receipt from that store that shows you buying pennied guides in the past then bring that in and show them. Its not like they can take away your receipt because it IS yours. They should just basically shut up and sell you the guide afterwards. You'll encounter this problem quite often when buying pennied out guides regardless of what store you're at.

I'm guessing the manager will say that was a mistake, and that transaction should not have taken place, still denying me my purchase.

What's the problem anyway? They think I'm going to become a millionaire and put them out of business by slinging guides on the bay? Wow. I'll be "all about the Lincolns" before they know it.

Anybody else have some advice to throw in my hat? =/ Jackoffs'R'us. . .

Well, I ran into the "you can have one of each guide" scenario at TRU. I just had to get the clerk who just had to call the manager to see what to do about the penny guides. There were at least 20 copies of the Halo 2 guide, too. Now, I'm sure they're all gone, taken by the clerk most likely as he was really amazed at the whole 1 cent thing, so I can't even go back and try again ;( Oh well, at least I got 1 ;)

[quote name='6669']Yea, I was too lazy to change both of them, so I just linked the post. If anyone doesn't know already, clicking on the post # in the top right of your post gives you a direct link to your post in that thread.
I like the way it is now.[/quote]

Thx!, very helpful, didn't know post # could be linked. Now I just have the one guide trade list in the trading forum.

I've never been denied buying a penny guide because i follow a few simple steps;

1) pick your cashier wisely, a female preferred, hopefully hot, someone who doesn't seem to like their job to much
2) always say before they ring up the item,"hey i wanted to check the price on this and see if it is on clearance", after doing this i've only had one person EVER ask why it was ringing up for a penny, with that person i just repeated that they go on clearance sometimes
3) if they give you a hassle then be cool and walk away, otherwise you will ruin it for everyone else and especially yourself
4) DON'T BE SUCH A GREEDY BASTARD, yeah that's right, don't try to walk up there with a stack of 50 guides, try to be conservative and bring a max of 4 or 5 of each guide, after making a successful purchase have your friend (you did bring a friend with you right?, derr, always have a friend who can grab a stack too) go back in and buy the rest of them but make sure he goes to the same cashier that you did so that person will already know they are a pennya nd won't trip out
5) Lastly spread some good karma around and trade with your fellow CAG members, i don't know what it is about you all here but alot of you are asking cash money for these guides, just do a trade and be cool, i've given up on it for now because i spent weeks and weeks asking for trades and only found one person that was willing, which is kinda lame, i mean geez, remember you got this info on this board so help out us other board members, for instance i didn't get any of the last drops from TRU, i'd die to have Halo 2 or Quake 4. Anyways, hope this advice helps, laterz

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back